• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
K (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZorgonXtreme

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:36 am Reply with quote
I'm not gonna lie...

I started watching this because I want to see all those awesome fights I saw in the PV. Anything else I like other then that is just gravy
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Ausdoerrt wrote:
I kind of agree with ikillchicken. Unless the show begins diving deep into bromance, it's "bishounen" rather than "shoujo". It seems to share more similarities with shounen action than any number of shoujo series. It's basically the same design as Weiss Kreuz or Tsubasa Chronicle.

Knight Hunters is shojo, Tsubasa is shonen...but X is shojo. It's a matter of character designs, like in X and Knight Hunter, they have that softer touch to it and the male leads have a more of that "pretty boy" look. Towards the Terra is also another shojo that that doesn't seem like a shojo.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Vata Raven wrote:
It's a matter of character designs, like in X and Knight Hunter, they have that softer touch to it and the male leads have a more of that "pretty boy" look. Towards the Terra is also another shojo that that doesn't seem like a shojo.

No. Shojo is not defined by its character designs and as such, not every show with pretty boy male characters is shojo. The term for such a thing is bishonen meaning "beautiful boys". To say otherwise is simply, factually, incorrect. Of course, a lot of shojo shows are also bishonen for obvious reasons but the two aspects are not one and the same. What defines shojo is in fact not character designs but target audience. As a result, there really is no definitive answer to what is and isn't shojo.

K is a great example of why this is. I mean, would I call K shojo? No. Bishonen certainly seems appropriate but beyond the pretty character designs I don't really see a ton of other shojo appeal thus far. A little slashability between the main guy and Mr ponytail but that's it. The bulk of the first episode was actually much more in line with the super powered action that appeals to shonen audiences. Of course, I wouldn't exactly call it shonen either. Again, this is a show that is clearly going out of its way to appeal to a number of groups. As such, it defies the simple shonen/shojo classification. Or, I suppose you could say it has both shonen and shojo elements. Claiming it is one or the other though is an oversimplification.

Last edited by ikillchicken on Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:40 pm Reply with quote
ikc, I may keep up with this show simply to continue reading your posts about it. It's nice to see you wandering out of your usual comfort zone this season.
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:03 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
K is a great example of why this is. I mean, would I call K shojo? No. Bishonen certainly seems appropriate but beyond the pretty character designs I don't really see a ton of other shojo appeal thus far.

Have you EVER seen Knight Hunter, X or No.6? If you haven't, believe it or not, those ARE shojo titles that doesn't seem like shojo. Hell, Knight Hunters is about assassins and X is about the end of the world, but those are labeled as shojo.

And K: Memory of Red (the full title of this series), the manga, which started in May of this year, rus in the Aria magazine (publish shojo manga)...so yes, K, is a shojo, even if it doesn't seem like it. Yes, it's confusing...like is a Black Butler is a shonen series even though it has the bishounen and a huge female fanbase.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:46 pm Reply with quote
I can't believe you're this dumb, but insist on parading around like you know everything.

I'm not even gonna touch the shoujo thing, because...it's not worth it. If you wanna believe the things you're saying about that then..fuckit.

But I won't let the manga thing go. This anime is 100% an original project. It is not adapted from anything. The manga, K: Memory of Red, is being adapted from the anime. Just because the spinoff manga is shoujo doesn't mean jack as to if the anime is or is not.

There's a lot of annoying things in these forums, but your constant wrongness and insisting you're right is way up near the top.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:58 pm Reply with quote
You seem to be contradicting yourself Vata Raven. A minute ago you insisted that shojo is defined by its pretty boy character designs (bishonen). Now you're claiming that a show (Black Butler) can have bishonen characters and yet still be shonen. Is this meant to be a tacit admission that you were incorrect?
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:38 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
You seem to be contradicting yourself Vata Raven. A minute ago you insisted that shojo is defined by its pretty boy character designs (bishonen). Now you're claiming that a show (Black Butler) can have bishonen characters and yet still be shonen. Is this meant to be a tacit admission that you were incorrect?

No I'm not. Yea, Black Butler might have bishonen characters, but compare their character designs to a guys in a shojo title, they have a different style. They have a sharper look (shonen do tend to have a sharper look), while shojo has soft touch to the art. Shonen can have said "bishonen", hell, Bleach has them from time-to-time, but those designs have more of a stronger look to them. Ok, here's a visual way, look at Clamp's work and compare CardCaptor Sakura and Tsuabsa. They're the same character designs (in a way) and drawn by the same women.

CCS's art, over all, has a softer look to it all (drawing style, coloring style has a lighter feel to it, the outlines don't stand out as much, and brighter colors are used for shojo titles), while Tsubasa has a different look to it (covers use more solid and darker colors, the outlines stand out a lot more, and shading it darker.) It comes down to the style because different drawing styles are used because the "targeted" group generally likes that style.

Honestly look at manga, are you going to see a "fluffy" looking cover to a shonen? Odds are, you sure won't and Black Butler is from from a "fluffy" cover, it's very much the standard shonen cover (like a Bleach). Come down to the art appeal for the people they plan to pick it up. And I can tell you right now, Black Butler was created by a woman, so that pretty much explains the bishonen designs.

The King of Harts wrote:
I can't believe you're this dumb, but insist on parading around like you know everything.

At least I'm not being an ass about it, like you are. I'm proving points on my end and I'm not saying that I know everything, that would've been you saying that...being a total jackass about it because you don't like how someone pointing out things. I'm not hurting anyone by holding this conversation, but it would seem SOMEONE thinks it's the end of the world because of it.

Last edited by Vata Raven on Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:48 pm; edited 2 times in total
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Vata Raven wrote:
b]Towards the Terra[/b] is also another shojo that that doesn't seem like a shojo.

Actually Toward the Terra is shounen. Although the manga-ka is known for her shoujo works that's a shounen title of hers.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Vata Raven wrote:
No I'm not. Yea, Black Butler might have bishonen characters, but compare their character designs to a guys in a shojo title, they have a different style.

Then in what way is K shojo? Certainly K has bishonen characters but as you just acknowledged, that doesn't make it shojo. Rather, according to you, it requires this "fluffy" artstyle. Well I don't see it. I don't see any real difference between the artstyle in the K anime and the artstyle in the Black Butler anime. Unless you can show me the difference, your theory really can't be held up as some sort of definitive standard of what is or isn't shojo.
rosebrook11

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Just finished the first episode and I thought it was really enjoyable.

A bit slow at the start, but I was always impressed with the show's visuals. The last few minutes really made me exited to continue.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:14 pm Reply with quote
This show isn't shoujo, if anything it's Fujoshi.
Ausdoerrt

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:17 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
K is a great example of why this is. I mean, would I call K shojo? No. Bishonen certainly seems appropriate but beyond the pretty character designs I don't really see a ton of other shojo appeal thus far. A little slashability between the main guy and Mr ponytail but that's it. The bulk of the first episode was actually much more in line with the super powered action that appeals to shonen audiences. Of course, I wouldn't exactly call it shonen either. Again, this is a show that is clearly going out of its way to appeal to a number of groups. As such, it defies the simple shonen/shojo classification. Or, I suppose you could say it has both shonen and shojo elements. Claiming it is one or the other though is an oversimplification.

"Bishounen action" should totally be a Thing. Smile

And agreed that shounen/shoujo genre is defined by content not art style, and has been for a while now. Heck, at one point shoujo art was so popular that it creeped into all genres, even some Gundam titles have it.

Neither No. 6, X or Weiss Kreuz seem like shoujo because they aren't. And on my memory, neither of them have "fluffy" designs, in fact most of them are quite dark.

Quote:
This show isn't shoujo, if anything it's Fujoshi.

I wouldn't call that a genre, because anything with more than one male character has fujoshi potential. It's like calling "otaku" a genre.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:48 am Reply with quote
X is Shoujo it was published in a Shoujo magazine.

Anyways I don't think art or content determines Shoujo or Shounen. That just tells us what magazine the series is published in and the initial target demographic.
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Ausdoerrt wrote:

"Bishounen action" should totally be a Thing. Smile

It is. It's called Shonen Jump.

Anyway, some of you guys are mixing demographics with genre.
Shoujo, Shonen, Seinen, Josei, and Kodomo are all demographics aka what the targeted age/gender group is.

Genre, according to Webster, "...is a category of artistic, musical, or literary composition characterized by a particular style, form, or content." In other words, this type of medium displays a set of familiar tones, content, or storytelling that are unique for a specific group.

For example, X. Published in a Shoujo magazine (aka young teenage females). Genres: Science Fiction/Fantasy, Drama, and Horror.
Here's a Wiki list of literary genres.

Now then, the demographic for K can either be Shoujo or Shonen. There are plenty of shows aimed at teenage guys that have lots of bishonen characters and a few bishoujo girls.

The genre for K might be: Fantasy (sub: Urban fantasy since it's set in a "futuristic city"; sub: Magic Realism because there is technology along with magical cigarettes)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 16