• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Pandora Hearts (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
egoist

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:51 am Reply with quote
Pandora Hearts (TV)

Plot Summary: Oz Bezarius, heir to one of the duke houses, has just turned fifteen. His life is rich and carefree, darkened only by the constant absence of his father. At his coming-of-age ceremony, however, everything changes. For no reason that he can discern, he's cast into the prison known as the "Abyss", only to be saved by a "chain" known as Alice, the bloodstained black rabbit. It is unknown why was he cast into Abyss, how does Alice factor into it all, and what does the organization known as "Pandora" want with him.

This is the kinda of anime that hit my soft spot. I'm glad to know there're still animes out there that I wouldn't mind any flaws they might have. Probably love at first sight.

As this anime's become one of my favorites, I'd like to hear what you guys have to say about it.

For starters, I'll give my opinion:
Since episode one, I didn't really think Pandora Hearts would have a background well made like this, since most anime with a cute anime art are usually happy-go-lucky, but this one went against the odds.
Combining good art, excellent character design and a nice plot. Pandora Hearts have conquered a spot in my favorite list.

Last edited by egoist on Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:08 pm; edited 3 times in total
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:06 am Reply with quote
I am also a big fan of this show, I have checked out a few reviews on the internet just to see others views. It is kind of has references to Alice in wonderland, as the girl named Alice (not very innocent), aswell as characters such as Cheshire cat, Mad Hatter, Door Mouse.

The first episode didn't give me the feeling I wold like it, but after a few episodes it gets quite good, whith characters, music and the mystery/story. The action sequences are nice with the sometimes cute turned scary Alice introducing her enemies to her sickle, or even when the character reminisent of the Mad Hatter showed his stuff.

The series starts off kind of childish and some might think we wil follow the three kids, but we do and we don't, but it does go a much more mature path. Though it does have some childish joke parts where characters switch to chibis, but the humour I find is quite appealing most of the time.

My favirout character is Break, the friendly, mysterious, crazy, manipulative, funny, candy loving man, not to mention he knows how to weild a wlking stick. least favirout is Vincent who is quite awefull. But this is definetly an anime that you find yourself making theories about hat exactly hapend how everyone fits in. One of my personal theories is that Glen spoiler[wanted to become the will of Abyss, but instead Alice was used to save her from death].
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:27 am Reply with quote
It's okay. The story is interesting, when they actually get arround to telling it, and it has Yuki Kajiura music which is always a plus. Not a big fan of it's brand of humor though.
egoist

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:25 pm Reply with quote
I thought episode 20 was really unexpected. While we are so close to the end they still had time to show a filler like this, with everyone spoiler[falling happy and drunk, showing a side we (at least I) didn't want to see.
And since we've seen in the last episode the conclusion of Break's question to Oz Bezarius: "Where's the real you?"]

I thought there would be something more mystic to this question but I guess it was all about his attitude.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:44 pm Reply with quote
I found episode 20 funny, the set up alowed to see the possible romantic links, aswell as seeing characters totaly off their faces was great. And we finaly got to see how dangerous Sharon can be, well not quite in public but with her friends, and now has more of a sterotypical ojou-sama behaviour. Though the inclusion of the paper fans did give it a kind of Fumofou feel to it

Their was also a DVD extra released lately that was done as a parody, set as a murder mystery that was quite funny, including crossdressing.
illustrata

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Eh, not a big fan of the show's over-the-top theatrics (along with its excessively dramatic music in importune times) that serves nothing more but to emotionally pander to the audience. I mean, seriously, how many more times must Oz undergo some sort of exaggerated trite realization (cue in their stereotypical anime mannerisms such as the widening of the eyes, shaking limbs, beating heart, etc) and spout off pseudo-philosophical mutterings each episode?
egoist

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:27 pm Reply with quote
illustrata wrote:
Eh, not a big fan of the show's over-the-top theatrics (along with its excessively dramatic music in importune times) that serves nothing more but to emotionally pander to the audience. I mean, seriously, how many more times must Oz undergo some sort of exaggerated trite realization (cue in their stereotypical anime mannerisms such as the widening of the eyes, shaking limbs, beating heart, etc) and spout off pseudo-philosophical mutterings each episode?

That won't happen again after episode 19, most likely. Unless the producers wanna surprise us.
binark

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:46 pm Reply with quote
I really like this Anime , im also watching the manga and i can tell that i found it really attractive ^^ .

Theres a lot of things that are not explained yet ... i cant wait to read the manga or watch the anime for the answer >.<!!

---

By the way , im wondering , how the Anime gonna end ? ... because in the "Information" it say that this Anime only have 25 episodes and also the Anime is getting really close to the Manga so im wondering ... does the Anime gonna have a Second Season ? or they just gonna "Cut" it with a crappy ending ??

I want to know what do you think about it guys ...

p.d: Sorry about my english Embarassed
Matta Ne!
egoist

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:16 pm Reply with quote
So, here's episode 21.
After episode 20, a filler which was fortunate for some and unfortunate for others,21 was an episode that finally revealed Breaker's past as well as info about the Intention of the Abyss. There was enough in this episode to make up for episode 20. I'm starting to like this anime even more now.
binark

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Well , i just watched episode 23 ( and the advance of episode 24 ) and i can tell , in my opinion , that Xebec is gonna end Pandora Heart with they own chapters .

I mean ... they gonna "create they own chapters" and with them they gonna make an ending to Pandora Heart , Sad ...

What do you think guys ? .. maybe im wrong ...

Matta Ne!
egoist

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Pandora Hearts is over and a possibility for a second season was left open, or rather, there's definitely gonna be a second season, in my opinion.
I've been enjoying every episode, and I really hope the dvd won't take too long.

So basically the plot moved slowly, not many exciting moments.
The anime seemed to focus on character development, probably preparing for a second season with a showdown.
Many secrets left behind about Alice and the Abyss, which strongly points towards a second season.
Oz's finally settled, I'm hoping to see him in a new light if a season 2 comes.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:18 pm Reply with quote
What a terrible ending, that was an awfully disappointing series. Sad
stjberserker

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, I was also dissapointed about the ending of the anime series.
I too enjoyed nearly every episode and thought I found sth pretty good. But well to me it seems there won't be a 2nd season, it was like the typical sry guys there won't be anymore pls watch the manga instead ending. I probably will stick to the manga as soon more chapters are out.
Eivion

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Disliked the ending (came off fairly weak), but otherwise liked the show quite a bit with the character developments. They definitely left room for a second season though who knows if it will actually happen.
egoist

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Many other shows had disappointing endings too, so stop whining! Razz
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3