• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Bosch Spice

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:46 am Reply with quote
Honestly i have no problem with what ADV is trying to do here. The ADV label itself has became a bit of a stigma or negative lablel that now that it probably is best to let it die out. Although I am upset at the "23" thing. Granted I used the number randomly, but man, coincidences suck sometimes.

For Stg. Frog it really really reminds me of the Digimon Dubs but with way more meta quotes and whatnot. The kind of forced humor type of thing. Funny for some people, unnesscary for others but they'll still watch it, and irratingly not needed for the rest. But at least digimon kept it general.

FLCL will probably always be my favorite dubs. Really I have no worst dubs cause if I don't like the dub for that series, I won't torture myself any longer and switch back to the japanese tracks. Which is a bit mean and rude but I'm jaded like that. Burned too many times in the past for sticking it out for signs of improvement.
Gasero

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:57 am Reply with quote
Johnny Bosch is certainly a great voice actor, but when I watch adult swim and hear his voice for both Ichigo from Bleach followed by Lelouch from Code Geass, it gets kind of annoying.

It's not Bosch's fault though. That's what's he's paid to do, and I guess he's so good at it every company wants to hire him. Good for him, but please dub companies, variety is a great thing.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:33 am Reply with quote
Haha, I loved the little ADV funeral sound clip.

Ah Ninja Scroll. I had to have been 14 at the time, and at that age I was slowly working my way through the anime section at the local Blockbuster and picking up Ninja Scroll for my anime of the week. Plopped down on the couch, my little 9 year old brother following cause he liked the anime cartoons as well, and I don't know what it was, 20 minutes in maybe (basically THAT scene) I had huge eyes and was cautiously watching my little brother going "Do NOT tell mom I let you watch this."

I blame all the ratings on the tapes at blockbuster being mature anyway no matter what the title, so I wouldn't take them seriously.

I'd pay some serious money for a Samurai Pizza Cats dvd boxset. It's such a horrible dub, but it has almost as much sentimental value for me as Sailor Moon. I don't think I understood half the crap going on in that show, but I loved it.

Johnny was a fun guest. Really entertaining show this week. I have fond memories of my little brother going all crazy hyper ADD trying to kick my butt after watching Power Rangers. Thank you Johnny for contributing to annoying little brothers everywhere in the 90s.
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:03 pm Reply with quote
I disagree about Evangelion being one of the most dreadful dubs ever but people are entitled to their opinion. Like Justin said about Zac having nostalgia with Samurai Pizza Cats, I watched it as a kid. I wish ADV didn't "die".
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Wow! Justin sounds like Chris Sabat to me. I had never heard his voice before.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Ciphony

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:00 pm Reply with quote
And I just HAD to miss Otafest.
I don't know what kept me, really. Aww well.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Wow ANN had the honor to actually speak with Johnny Bosch? Such an honor, I wish I had that chance. He does a fantastic, mastepiece quality job with Bleach.

Such a incrediable honor, something that doesn't happen often.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Gasero wrote:
Johnny Bosch is certainly a great voice actor, but when I watch adult swim and hear his voice for both Ichigo from Bleach followed by Lelouch from Code Geass, it gets kind of annoying.

It's not Bosch's fault though. That's what's he's paid to do, and I guess he's so good at it every company wants to hire him. Good for him, but please dub companies, variety is a great thing.

The trick is that you first need actors to audition, and they're not exactly lining up for anime work. Then said auditions actually have to be good enough to make the director actually want them for the show. Considering how the anime industry has been doing, it's not that unexpected that they are looking for known quantities. If they know an actor, and know what they can do, and probably most importantly can work well with them, they're way ahead of some new person that might not work out and get ragged on for their performance. Honestly, I'm sure they'd love to try new people, but they're experiencing heavy restrictions. Besides, it's not like the Japanese are a whole lot better about it.
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:01 pm Reply with quote
What ADV is doing with selling themselves to themselves and all the business stuff makes my brain hurt.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Hmmmm, yet another individual or two who says the Evangelion dub is horrible. I guess I'll just have to say that I never understood this view of it. It's not horrible. I think it's middling as a dub, but it's NOT horrible. It's perfectly listenable. The reason people hate it is because the Japanese is subdued by comparison and the english has all the subtlety of a sledgehammer, but they're both perfectly fine, if not very different, from an acting perspective. The content in EVA was so surreal and faux-intricate that it could have been performed either way. (Bergman vs. Lynch or ...both or something? They're both odd and "realistic psychological" at the same time as being completely unrealistic surreal WTF.)

I mean, the Gankutsuou dub makes me very sad, but it's not bad either. Au contraire, it's perfectly listenable, its just not good enough, and I wish people would say that about the EVA dub instead of saying it was awful. I don't say the Gankutsuou dub is awful but I still just can't listen to it despite several good performances in it (JYB's being one of them) jammed up against too many flatter-than-a-flitter ones.

Anyway, I'm not debating that the Japanese is better for EVA, ESPECIALLY in the earlier episodes, but I thought the voices in the later episodes were more than comparable and liked the performances, melodramatic though they were. I think the more you revere EVA as an intricate masterpiece, the more you will hate the dub, but I never took it that seriously. I thought EVA was pretty okay with moments of greatness, so I didn't mind sitting through an english version that was also just okay with moments of greatness. Parts of it are so strangle-me-now-this-is-pathetic worthy enough that hearing them played over-the-top was almost better than trying to hear them played "subtly," which...I wouldn't call the Japanese of EVA subtle. I can't tell that it was, I don't know Japanese and voice acting by definition just ain't subtle. I would almost call it "heavier." Everyone spoke like everything was so very heavy in their mouth all the time unless comedy was the aim.

Like the fact that Spike Spencer is almost mocking Shinji's self-wankery in his delivery of the lines. Yes, it's probably disrespectful to people who think very highly of the series, but for some of us, it's almost a relief. We're already sick of hearing him self-wank, so if it's a little broader and more self-deprecating, it's better than someone trying for an Emmy on lines that are vomit no matter how they're delivered...

...But that's just me. It will simply all depend on how much you like or revere EVA. I preferred Zac's mentioning of actual bad dubs to Justin's "this was just inferior to what it should be" reply...I can see where he was coming from, but I'd rather hear a genuine piece of crap insulted than a fair and perfectly passable effort.

Oh, and JYB roolz. I met him at a con once dressed as Milly Thompson, but mine was not one of the "awesome costumes" he was referring to in the podcast here, so he realized who I was juuuuust when I was leaving and went "Oh cool!" Laughing Still awesome.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:48 pm Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:
. I think it's middling as a dub, but it's NOT horrible. It's perfectly listenable. The reason people hate it is because the Japanese is subdued by comparison and the english has all the subtlety of a sledgehammer, but they're both perfectly fine, if not very different, from an acting perspective.

This has to be one of the most asinine analyses I've ever heard, dude. Seriously.

"In this version of Casablanca, everyone is wearing novelty-sized foam cowboy hats and Groucho Marx glasses and delivers their lines as an impression of Charles Nelson Reilly, but if you think about it, they're different but both versions are fine."

No, one is goofy and stupid and ruins it (although what I wouldn't pay to see that version of Casablanca). The other one is a classic.

Quote:
...But that's just me. It will simply all depend on how much you like or revere EVA. I preferred Zac's mentioning of actual bad dubs to Justin's "this was just inferior to what it should be" reply...I can see where he was coming from, but I'd rather hear a genuine piece of crap insulted than a fair and perfectly passable effort.

You got us backwards.

And calling the EVA dub "fair and perfectly passable" is not a factual statement that you can present as irrefutable like that.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:11 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

"In this version of Casablanca, everyone is wearing novelty-sized foam cowboy hats and Groucho Marx glasses and delivers their lines as an impression of Charles Nelson Reilly, but if you think about it, they're different but both versions are fine."

No, one is goofy and stupid and ruins it (although what I wouldn't pay to see that version of Casablanca). The other one is a classic.

Laughing

Touche.

The problem with this counterargument is that I certainly don't hear goofy and stupid. I hear melodramatic, maybe, but I didn't think, with the exception of Keisuke (and SEELE characters among others) randomly awful voice, it sounded goofy or stupid at all.

It sounds like many other dubs of its time: a little overdramatic. That's it. But the dramatic parts are still valid. They still work just fine. The fact that many ardent EVA fans (and I am not one) love the dub (I don't, I just think it's okay) and do take the show seriously should be evidence of that.*

I saw the dub first, and I don't automatically think it's better for that, (it isn't) but I could still enjoy the show and take the characters seriously. I didn't once think "They're ruining the drama of this moment," because a lot of EVA can be seen as melodramatic and the visuals and the voices fit that perfectly fine. (The show could be played as subdued too, but I certainly didn't see that most of the time. I only believed it was even a possibility after seeing the sub, and again, I still found the writing painful far too often to matter how "wonderfully subtle" it may have been acted.) I also saw the dub of Gankutsuou first and could still tell something was quite wrong with Monsieur Dantes' delivery, I didn't need a sub for context first.

So, therefore: the acting is NOT bad. Geez, that's all I was trying to say. (But I will openly admit that it insults me less because I don't think too highly of EVA. The thought of comparing it to Casablanca actually makes my stomach hurt, and the metaphor you use for EVA's dub to said film makes it sound as if EVA was dubbed like Ghost Stories. Definitely not the case.)

Side note: I'm a dudette. *sigh* Finally use a female avatar and it still doesn't work.

Quote:

And calling the EVA dub "fair and perfectly passable" is not a factual statement that you can present as irrefutable like that.

Did I say factual and irrefutable?

JesuOtaku wrote:
...But that's just me. It will simply all depend on how much you like or revere EVA.

No, I didn't. But I did indeed get your names backwards, which was my dimwittedness, so touche again.

We shall agree to disagree?

*I know if you reply to this particular statement at all it will be with "A lot of fans are idiotic asswipes, who cares," so I figured I'd head you off at the pass.

Last edited by JacobC on Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

Peter Lorre would have made an excellent Keele Lorenz.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:08 am Reply with quote
I don't think Keele Lorenz could ever work. Seele is basically nothing more than a bunch of pretentious Ominous Council of Vagueness, and Lorenz is the Depends wearing leader. He also looks incredibly goofy with the bad sci-fi outfit.

The man has what appears to be giant earphones and the visor from Star Trek: The Next Generation.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:13 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
I don't think Keele Lorenz could ever work. Seele is basically nothing more than a bunch of pretentious Ominous Council of Vagueness, and Lorenz is the Depends wearing leader. He also looks incredibly goofy with the bad sci-fi outfit.

The man has what appears to be giant earphones and the visor from Star Trek: The Next Generation.

Oh, dang. Lavar Burton as Keele Lorenz in End of Reading Rainbow. Laughing

No, seriously, it's being taken off the air permanently. Broadcasting rights expired.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4