• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Body Identified as Crayon Shin-chan's Yoshito Usui

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hepzibah

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:27 pm Reply with quote
This is very saddening news, and my heart goes out to his family and friends. It's true that he died doing something he loved to do, but that doesn't make the pain any less for those close to him.

Rest in peace.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
~nanashi~

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Sadly enough our fears were confirmed, what a way to go. I hope his family is holding up.
Mika20

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:37 pm Reply with quote
I can't help feeling my heart ache when I read this.
My condolences go to his family and friends.
This is such a tragedy.

I admit I am a fan of the anime Shin-Chan. I never got across reading the manga when I first watched the anime, but kept it in consideration to read it.

Yoshito Usui will forever be missed.
May he rest in peace and be with God for all eternity.
And may his family and loved ones be healed with love and prayers.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 2:15 pm Reply with quote
The stanard Condolances.

It's a shame when a manga- no, a creater - dies without concluding his or her work (as "endless" as Shin-chan was, the publishers are saying "TBD" but it's as good as done) and its no less a shame here.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:
The stanard Condolances.

It's a shame when a manga- no, a creater - dies without concluding his or her work (as "endless" as Shin-chan was, the publishers are saying "TBD" but it's as good as done) and its no less a shame here.
Why no. Yes he created it, but it's become bigger than him now. Isn't "Charlie Brown" still being serialised? But knowing how poorly the royalty system is there in Japan, I'm not sure what, or where that leaves his survivers. Maybe that is what's To Be Determined. Wink It's never the fall that kills you. It's the sudden stop at the end. I too send sincere condolances to his family. May they find strength to endure the pain of their loss, and may his spirit find the higher level.
Spoofer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 2:35 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
People need to use airplanes, cars or even walking outside at night as a means to get somewhere, in other words, it's something essential to their life instead of something they have "pleasure" in doing so. Unlike climbing, where it's all about challenging yourself with a mix of fun and fear and also something he would probably show off to his friends later.
Essential and fun are completely different words, maybe you should revise that.

Nah. Well, maybe I should have used examples such as "sailing", "bike riding", or "jumping on trampolines". Those are things people do for pleasure, which occasionally someone will die or get injured from, but not anything ordinarily filled with excessive life-threatening risk.

From the reports on ANN, I'm seeing the words "hiking" and "trail". Sure, accidents happen to hikers all the time, some more tragic than others, but "hiking" is typically not overly full of risk. It's walking in nature. Usually there's nothing involved that promotes a lot of fear or anything worthy of "showing off" to friends (aside from photos and pleasant stories). It's usually not anymore dangerous than the other things I've listed; it is a tragedy when something terrible happens, and certainly the person deserves pity.

Unless I've misread something or you and Shadowrun20XX know something I don't, are you perhaps confusing his intent to "climb the mountain", as in "hike" up it on "climber's trails", with actual cliff scaling or climbing Everest? Yes, those would be worthy of fear, showing off, and inherently dangerous. They would be full of risk that the climber would have to be prepared for. But uh... I don't think that's what reports are saying he was doing, at least not yet.

EDIT: "The incident appears to have happened on the north face of the mountain just off a popular hiking trail on a part of the cliff that is about about 100 meters (330 feet) tall . ... While there are no guard rails along the cliff edges, accidents on the mountain are reportedly rare." Yeah, so clearly everyone who dares visit this mountain are taking their lives into their own hands and rolling the dice, and therefor deserve whatever they get. ..... .......... Rolling Eyes

http://www.examiner.com/x-16352-Japan-Headlines-Examiner~y2009m9d20-Famous-Japanese-manga-artist-falls-to-death-in-mountains

Last edited by Spoofer on Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:09 pm; edited 6 times in total
joystick1101

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
According to Gunma Prefecture's police, there are no guardrails near the top of Tomoiwa cliff, but the established climber's trail is too far from the cliffside for someone to fall.

OK this brings up some question of how and why this happened. what was he doing off the trail? did he not realize it? is this more than a tragic accident? was he just being curious?
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 2:54 pm Reply with quote
This is a very sad day for millions of fans all around the world. Whether you knew the children's show in Japan or the hilarious adult show it was turned into in America, Shin-chan was a truly memorable series that many people loved and parents loved to hate. Fifty-one is too early to go in this day and age. Crying or Very sad
vashthekaizoku

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:06 pm Reply with quote
My best wishes are with his family, didn't he have kids as well? Maybe this will cause Funi to license his movies as well, the original article said he'd made seventeen of them...A fitting memorial to keep his memory alive for some time to come...Thanks for the laughs, Usui-san...
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:07 pm Reply with quote
joystick1101 wrote:
Quote:
According to Gunma Prefecture's police, there are no guardrails near the top of Tomoiwa cliff, but the established climber's trail is too far from the cliffside for someone to fall.

OK this brings up some question of how and why this happened. what was he doing off the trail? did he not realize it? is this more than a tragic accident? was he just being curious?
Ask yourself, why do people dive off cliffs into the sea, or ski off pist, or hike to places no one else has been yet? The answer is there. Wink
MarzGurl

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Conan-san wrote:
The stanard Condolances.

Why no. Yes he created it, but it's become bigger than him now. Isn't "Charlie Brown" still being serialised? But knowing how poorly the royalty system is there in Japan, I'm not sure what, or where that leaves his survivers. Maybe that is what's To Be Determined. Wink It's never the fall that kills you. It's the sudden stop at the end. I too send sincere condolances to his family. May they find strength to endure the pain of their loss, and may his spirit find the higher level.

Peanuts is still being serialized, but not produced. When Charles Schultz died, no one took up the cloth of being the Peanuts author/artist, they just kept serializing it but not adding to it.

I would be fine if they kept publishing graphic novels. But no one else should try to pick up where he left off.

Well, I think the other story of the day, about what the publishers are saying and doing, may just be a better place to discuss this. Anime smile;
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
KanjiiZ

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Amethyst Alchemist wrote:
Let's all keep his family in our thoughts/prayers. This is such a tragedy. And it is not the time to complain a manga won't be finished.

How would you finish a manga like Shin chan anyways?

I don't think the man was genius, but I do believe he was good at his trade. It takes alot to write a manga like Shin chan, and it will be sad to know it won't be coming out anymore. May the man rest in peace.
bayoab

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:01 pm Reply with quote
MarzGurl wrote:

I agree, I think it's totally up in the air as to which it is, although a lot of the signs say "accident". After all, he took a lot of things; camera, wallet, cell phone, clothes, etc.

But he was expected back the same day. MAYBE you need a change of clothes, but for one day? Well, maybe. Not unheard of. But supposedly, there was a trail up there.

It's normal for any experienced hiker to bring extra clothes with them on a day trip since you never know what weather changes (high winds, cold) or obstacles (washed out trail) you might encounter.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:23 pm Reply with quote
It's sad, but I'd imagine the Crayon Shin-chan anime will continue to live on, assuming it'll follow Sazae-san's example.

The Sazae-san anime is still going despite the manga having stopped 35 years ago and the creator herself having died 17 years ago.

Crayon Shin-chan is one of those non-serialized franchise anime that can keep on chugging along as long as the writers can still think up new "filler".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BlackJaded

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Sometimes I liked the show admittingly its a great series till soon. So God Bless him and I'll pray for him and his family. Such a great person indeed.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6