• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Pluto GN 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LordPrometheus

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:10 am Reply with quote
I have been following this series very closely, and I've been incredibly impressed with Urasawa's work. I'd heard of him before, obviously, but Pluto is the first of his works that I've read. Consequently, I've started reading 20th Century Boys, another of his phenomenal works.

I can't argue with anything in this review. This series really is that good. I can only hope that it gets an anime version somewhere down the road, because it truly deserves it.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:18 am Reply with quote
LordPrometheus wrote:
I have been following this series very closely, and I've been incredibly impressed with Urasawa's work. I'd heard of him before, obviously, but Pluto is the first of his works that I've read. Consequently, I've started reading 20th Century Boys, another of his phenomenal works.

I can't argue with anything in this review. This series really is that good. I can only hope that it gets an anime version somewhere down the road, because it truly deserves it.

Welcome to Urasawa Fans Inernational! I've been a proud member for three and a half years.

Read Monster too. And hopefully the dub for the anime of that (which follows the manga religiously) will be decent enough that you can watch it on SyFy when it airs. 20th Century Boys is probably my personal favorite right now, and I am really hoping the live action movies are as good as the trailers make them look. As for an anime of Pluto... In my dream world, it would involve a live-action movie with multinational cast in a half a dozen languages. But since that won't ever happen, an anime would be nice, yes. Laughing
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:45 am Reply with quote
LordPrometheus wrote:

I would have a super huge fangirl moment is Pluto got an anime, the plot is so multi-layered and it does action scenes so well that an anime would only be made of win.
whoisfriend

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Having never read the original Greatest Robot on Earth story from Astro Boy, I have a question: Does Atom die in that story too, or was this a surprising twist?
Prede

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:36 pm Reply with quote
I really have to agree with Carlo on this one. Nice review. That car chase with Haas was really thrilling. I really liked that part of this volume. That was the strongest part of the series so far for me, because everything seemed to come to a head right at that point. Although (last volume was it?) the scene with spoiler[ Atom dieing was pretty surprising. I wasn't expecting him to kill that character off ]. The fight scene in this volume did feel a little empty now that I think about it, nice call.

Anyway I am really enjoying this series so far. More then I thought I would, since I was not much of a fan of the original Astro Boy TV series, although I never read the manga. I did however find the random Black Jack cameo awesome though! This and 20th Century Boys are full of win, although that series is on another level completely. This is still a very good manga though. I am only recently getting into Urasawa's stuff. Been watching Master Keaton (slowly) and so far and that's an exellent show. Yawara is pretty good too so far. Never read Monster, but I am looking forward to watching the TV series.

Last edited by Prede on Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:22 pm; edited 2 times in total
LordPrometheus

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:52 pm Reply with quote
who_is_friend wrote:
Having never read the original Greatest Robot on Earth story from Astro Boy, I have a question: Does Atom die in that story too, or was this a surprising twist?

That I really don't know. I'm guessing that it was an Urasawa twist, but that's all it is, a guess. I really wish that had been spoiler tagged though, because if I hadn't read the manga already, I'd have been pissed to have that key scene spoiled.
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:03 pm Reply with quote
who_is_friend wrote:

spoiler[Astro Boy gets defeated by Pluto at one point and is buried at the bottom of the ocean with his circuits blown but is subsequently rescued by Pluto and Epsilon and then revived by Dr. Tenma.]

If you want to read the original story, it's in volume 3 of the Dark Horse release.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:03 pm Reply with quote
Moomintroll wrote:
who_is_friend wrote:

spoiler[Astro Boy gets defeated by Pluto at one point and is buried at the bottom of the ocean with his circuits blown but is subsequently rescued by Pluto and Epsilon and then revived by Dr. Tenma.]

If you want to read the original story, it's in volume 3 of the Dark Horse release.

So in other words, it's a darker twist on an event that happened, but probably still shocked readers that Urasawa did it.
whoisfriend

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:57 am Reply with quote
LordPrometheus wrote:
who_is_friend wrote:

That I really don't know. I'm guessing that it was an Urasawa twist, but that's all it is, a guess. I really wish that had been spoiler tagged though, because if I hadn't read the manga already, I'd have been pissed to have that key scene spoiled.

It was clearly mentioned in the review, so I don't really consider it a spoiler to post.

And thanks, Moomintroll. I figured it was something like that, but wasn't completely sure. It's surprisingly difficult to find Astro Boy story summaries on the internet.
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:18 pm Reply with quote
who_is_friend wrote:

That was a shocker, because Atom doesn't exactly "die" in the original story. I highly recommend reading "The Greatest Robot on Earth." It's so much fun to compare the two to see how Urasawa took the pixels from the original to create a new masterpiece-including a Middle Eastern despot and an interesting move by Dr. Tenma (although Urasawa veers completely off course, too).

Does anyone know if Uran was an empath in the original Astro Boy? Someone needs to make a chart comparing the two.
LordPrometheus

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:28 pm Reply with quote
who_is_friend wrote:
LordPrometheus wrote:
who_is_friend wrote:

It was clearly mentioned in the review, so I don't really consider it a spoiler to post.

I actually wasn't referring to you at all, but rather the review itself. Sorry about that, it wasn't really clear from my post. I quoted you, then referenced the reviewer without making it clear that I was switching gears. My bad. I just feel that the reviewers should keep major plot points like that out of the reviews they write.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:22 pm Reply with quote
LordPrometheus wrote:
I just feel that the reviewers should keep major plot points like that out of the reviews they write.

The problem is then, how does a review work around discussing parts of the plot without revealing a spoiler that plays such a major roll in the ongoing story. For reviews that examine individual volumes of a work, it's easiest to assume that viewers/readers are current on all previously released volumes of the title.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
I highly recommend reading "The Greatest Robot on Earth." It's so much fun to compare the two to see how Urasawa took the pixels from the original to create a new masterpiece-including a Middle Eastern despot and an interesting move by Dr. Tenma (although Urasawa veers completely off course, too).

I second that recommendation. It's not necessary reading, but it is really fun to do a comparison.

Quote:
Does anyone know if Uran was an empath in the original Astro Boy? Someone needs to make a chart comparing the two.

In the 2003 anime she did, and Urasawa drew other elements from that series as well. In fact, it actually helps to be familiar with that series in order to understand what's going on with the teddy bear. Both were 40th anniversary projects, and sort of work together.

Edit: It's available in its entirety, albeit dubbed, on hulu: http://www.hulu.com/astro-boy

Last edited by vashfanatic on Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Oh, cool! I didn't know about the 2003 anime, and I couldn't figure out what was up with the teddy bear for the life of me. Thanks, Vashfanatic! Hopefully I'll have a chance to check it out soon.
LordPrometheus

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
LordPrometheus wrote:
I just feel that the reviewers should keep major plot points like that out of the reviews they write.

The problem is then, how does a review work around discussing parts of the plot without revealing a spoiler that plays such a major roll in the ongoing story. For reviews that examine individual volumes of a work, it's easiest to assume that viewers/readers are current on all previously released volumes of the title.

This is true, but couldn't they at least use spoiler tags/alerts in the review?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1