• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 4Kids Reveals US$5-Million Loss in Third Quarter

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Slowzhand

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:30 pm Reply with quote
D Dubbs wrote:
Something that wasn't mentioned in this writeup is that SEGA is producing a new season of Dinosaur King and that 4Kids is already selling it to the European markets. It'll likely show up here in the U.S. at some point too.

Actually, The CW has been airing the new season of Dinosaur King (at least in my market), as of last Saturday it was airing Episode 6.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Ryusui wrote:
So wait. They've decided to cancel 5D's in favor of Yu-Gi-Oh! reruns?

...Yeah, 4Kids has no freakin' idea what it's doing. I mean, we've been saying that for years, but now it's pretty much obvious they're clutching at straws.
I don't think it's so much as "Canceled" more than "forced to stop dubbing it because the ongoing flustercluck between Konami and Upper Deck."
malik_chan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:13 pm Reply with quote
gamerpaul wrote:
I am actually kinda happy over this news. The only reason it's kinda happy instead of happy is anime in the U.S. might suffer overall if they go under but other then that they are a shitty dub company that ruins animes. Not airing 5ds is also retarded imo it will likely hurt sales of current card sets because kids won't have seen the new cards on the show like they always have before. I don't see why they can't just air both on Saturdays is a one hour block for yugioh that unprofitable? Or at least air 5ds on cartoon network at a decent pace to try to catch up to where they should be to match set releases.

How can not playing 5Ds hurt the company? The subheadline even notes that playing the original Yugioh is bringing in more ratings, most likely from both a new audience and long-time fans who are willing to wake up for half an hour on Saturday mornings. So don't dismiss something just because you don't like it.
Gasero

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Its no secret that 4Kids was going to have more trouble after losing Pokemon, Yugioh, and now Ninja Turtles.

I actually like Turtles, Chaotic, and Gogoriki, but the rest of their shows are not appealing to me.

I will not be surprised if after the finalized Ninja Turtle deal with Nick is finished, Fall 2010 will not see 4Kids programming.
Primus

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:16 pm Reply with quote
I thought 5Ds was just offseason, has the Konami VS. Upper Deck fight impacted 4Kids use of the franchise?

As for broadcasting the second series again, well next year is the second's series 10th Anniversary. It would actually be a clever tie-in to the 10th Anniversary movie being released next year (if 4Kids has it), as well as the continuation to Yu-Gi-Oh! in Yu-Gi-Oh! R, which Viz has started publishing in North America last month.
PMDR

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:32 pm Reply with quote
4Kids has first and foremost always been a marketing and licensing company, that just happened to use some anime properties.

The statement about going back to their roots in licensing strikes me as being relatively frank and honest about what the company has done to make money and where they think they need to be going to make more money. Most companies are FAR less open about such things, so my hat is off to them for being very upfront about it.
Zero Gravity

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:07 pm Reply with quote
What they need to do is somehow get more of the Shaman King and YuGiOh uncut dvds released
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SDS

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Bring back WMAC Masters. That is the real money.
kakoishii

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Zero Gravity wrote:
What they need to do is somehow get more of the Shaman King and YuGiOh uncut dvds released

Didn't those sell poorly? As much as I would like uncut shaman king dvds at least, if 4kids is in the hole they're not going to waste more money putting out something that didn't sell well the first time.

My question is how does 4kids keep losing titles? It's clear that pokemon was a huge blow to them (I'm not sure whether or not that was out of their hands), but what's the deal with ninja turtles? Did they sell the license to nick to try and recoup losses or something?
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:11 pm Reply with quote
It sounds like 4Kids is more interested in selling trading cards than they are in showing animation. If they don't have a trading card game associated with the anime they don't seem to want to bother. And right now CW is the last real bastion of SatAM.

So the future of SatAM is all in the cards.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2