• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 2009's Top-Selling Blu-ray Discs in Japan (Continued)

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:57 pm Reply with quote
OutlawGundam wrote:
Yea not a lot of extras on there, pretty standard looking stuff. They are preying off the Otakus right there, they are most likely some of the only ones who would paid such prices for so little. Is this standard practice on all Japanese anime Bluray releases?

It's not just standard practice, it's been this way pretty much since laserdisc releases starting in the 1980s. Well, with some modifications - prices were actually higher back then for the most part, and no discounts were available anywhere, aside from buying used. I recall Escaflowne on laserdisc back in 96/97 was 13 volumes at 6000 yen each. Single episodes of OVAs ranging from 7800 - 9800 yen each were not uncommon; I recall Giant Robo was around that price. CDJapan still sells at list price today, though you can get discounts of about 25% on Amazon or HMV - so there's not much reason to pay CDJapan's prices unless you absolutely must guarantee getting first press extras. But no matter what the discount, Japanese prices are several times higher than US prices.

Just a few of the little things that make me laugh when US fans whine about how anime is just too expensive.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:18 pm Reply with quote
OutlawGundam wrote:
Yea not a lot of extras on there, pretty standard looking stuff. They are preying off the Otakus right there, they are most likely some of the only ones who would paid such prices for so little. Is this standard practice on all Japanese anime Bluray releases?

Also Bakemonogatari was known for not being televised complete during the TV run. So if wanted to see the actual series, you had to buy either DVD or BD. Tsubasa Cat is a notorious segment that was redone IIRC.
einhorn303

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:53 pm Reply with quote
OutlawGundam wrote:

Not just BDs, it's standard practice for all R2 DVD releases. What, you're just learning this now? Welcome to anime. Yes, American "fans" are goddamn cheapskates.

hissatsu01 wrote:
CDJapan still sells at list price today, though you can get discounts of about 25% on Amazon or HMV - so there's not much reason to pay CDJapan's prices unless you absolutely must guarantee getting first press extras.

Yes, but CDJapan does not charge exorbitant and unexpected "handling fees" like Amazon.co.jp, and has cheaper international shipping, so sometimes even at list price they can still be a better price than Amazon.co.jp.
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:29 am Reply with quote
einhorn303 wrote:

hissatsu01 wrote:
CDJapan still sells at list price today, though you can get discounts of about 25% on Amazon or HMV - so there's not much reason to pay CDJapan's prices unless you absolutely must guarantee getting first press extras.

Yes, but CDJapan does not charge exorbitant and unexpected "handling fees" like Amazon.co.jp, and has cheaper international shipping, so sometimes even at list price they can still be a better price than Amazon.co.jp.

Only if you're buying single items. If you're pre-ordering multiple items, Amazon.co.jp's prices are far lower, including shipping. I've used CDJapan many times in the past, and have never had an issue with their service, but I only order from them now if there's something that I absolutely have to be certain of getting the first press. Believe me, if there was a price advantage, I'd switch in a moment.
Annf

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:57 pm Reply with quote
hissatsu01 wrote:
einhorn303 wrote:

Only if you're buying single items. If you're pre-ordering multiple items, Amazon.co.jp's prices are far lower, including shipping. I've used CDJapan many times in the past, and have never had an issue with their service, but I only order from them now if there's something that I absolutely have to be certain of getting the first press.

Yep. Ditto here. I used to use CDJapan/Neowing for everything, especially back when I was buying mostly music and not video, and certainly CDJapan is a great store that offers genuine reserve orders with external store-bonus items, unlike Amazon's non-guaranteed orders, but it's hard to argue with Amazon's discounts on DVD/BD and the way they ship pre-orders. (Plus, for whatever reason, Amazon's FedEx Priority gets to me in two days while EMS Express Mail takes four.)

Amazon can also be a good choice for large-sized heavy books/magazines (heavy enough to add more than 300 yen to economy SAL shipping) if you're either combining them with another order or ordering a lot of them.

For a couple of different reasons, HMV is generally better than Amazon for ordering discounted video for stuff that's already out, as opposed to pre-ordering. (HMV also ships video games overseas, unlike Amazon, so that can influence choosing where to place a bulk order to get everything from one store to cut down shipping.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2