• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Durarara!! (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:55 pm Reply with quote
I think the first part of the episode spoiler[with all the Dollars members helping Anri flee] is probably one of my favorite scenes in the anime. To me spoiler[that's what the Dollars are about, random people on the internet who want to do something different in the real world, too bad that probably wouldn't work for every Dollars member getting beat up by the Yellow Scarves (or would it?).]
_-D-_

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Hey, does anybody know how many of the novels the anime is covering? My guess was that the first 12 episodes covered the first book, but that's just a guess. But yeah, I'm just curious about how much is going to be done.

I've looked a little but in order to avoid spoilers there's only so much looking that can be done. Neutral
Eivion

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:34 am Reply with quote
Loved tonight's episode with spoiler[Kida getting his badass moment. And somehow I knew Shizuo would get right back up and head straight over to Shinra's place like it was normal thing. Very curious what just freaked Namie out about Izaya though. ]
Aylinn

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:38 am Reply with quote
_-D-_ wrote:
Hey, does anybody know how many of the novels the anime is covering? My guess was that the first 12 episodes covered the first book, but that's just a guess. But yeah, I'm just curious about how much is going to be done.

I've looked a little but in order to avoid spoilers there's only so much looking that can be done. Neutral

The anime covers the first three books.

I hope Durarara is selling well. I would like to see Mikado and the ballpoint pen action from the sixth book. Twisted Evil
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:25 am Reply with quote
It seems to be getting on the DVD bestseller list and I've heard one or two people say that they've seen people complain on Japanese blogs that it's hard to find the novels with all the new demand. So it's been doing well so far and it seems to be Brain Base's biggest hit so that's an incentive to do more later on.
garfield15

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:21 pm Reply with quote
Very good news to hear. I hope this means they're smart enough to do a S2.

(And then adapt "Vamp!")
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:36 pm Reply with quote
I'm looking forward to the end of Durarara!! I want to check it off the list and I'm kind of done with this arc. I wouldn't mind another season, say, next winter. By that time, I'd probably be ready for some more. I can also see myself buying this when it comes out in R1. As a complete collection. And TRSI is having a sale.
_-D-_

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Aylinn wrote:
The anime covers the first three books.

I hope Durarara is selling well. I would like to see Mikado and the ballpoint pen action from the sixth book. Twisted Evil

Okay, thanks. That's interesting since Baccano! covered something like four of the books plus small bits from a couple of the others from what I've gathered. However, the pacing is quite different between the two so it makes sense.

I've actually found this current arc rather interesting with spoiler[the misunderstandings going around amongst the three group leaders. I've really been impressed with the progress that's happened there, as opposed to maintaining the status quo and having a bunch of repeated conflicts between the groups while the leaders are unaware of each other. It could have easily stagnated there, but instead they were able to keep it moving with important developments while providing the audience with the logic behind each of the character's motivations and their misunderstandings.]And I'm really looking forward to how this concludes and hoping for further installments in the future.

I don't know, I just found it interesting to watch it develop I guess. To each his own, and all that.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:34 pm Reply with quote
I agree, the misunderstandings kept me interested in the story since, even though the viewers knew what was really going on and what was causing the misunderstandings, the characters were still a bit unpredictable. And it was refreshing to watch something where it wasn't a romantic sort of misunderstanding but something with actual stakes.

Blood- wrote:
I can also see myself buying this when it comes out in R1. As a complete collection. And TRSI is having a sale.

Isn't that the best way to buy anime anyway?
Mister V

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:19 am Reply with quote
Well, the series doesn't regain its former glory, but it's a good conclusion. It obviously begs more development of the main story (Celty's head), but yeah... I suppose this is all right.

However, there's one particular scene that's going to satisfy a lot of people Razz (even though the dialogue is mostly in horrible Russian, Simon finally gets to play his part)
Niomo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:29 pm Reply with quote
And so ends the greatest show of 2010. The second arc was around an 8.8 for me, but it averages out with the first arc of 9.3 for a total of 9. good job DRRR.

Peace forum peoples.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Mister V wrote:

However, there's one particular scene that's going to satisfy a lot of people Razz (even though the dialogue is mostly in horrible Russian, Simon finally gets to play his part)

I was so worried that little bit would get cut and I laughed when I saw the location chosen for the scene (and I believe that's a real statue in Ikebukuro, the show has been really faithful in their backgrounds actually).

I thought that 24 did a good job wrapping up the story while leaving it open for more. Nearly every character got at least one good line/action and I liked how the show acknowledged that, even after a ton of stuff happened, life is pretty much back to normal for everyone. And yes, the second half of the story wasn't as exciting as the first (maybe if they had mixed up Anri and Kida's stories more?) but it was still pretty darn enjoyable to watch.
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Meh, the only stuff i liked about the last episode was spoiler[the chase scene, and Izaya finally getting his comeuppance]. other than that, it didn't really end anything. Maybe I just set my expectations too high, but this show really wasn't that great to me. The entire series felt like a wasted opportunity. there's all these interesting and unique characters, but they decided to focus on the three most generic (Masaomi, Ryugamine, Sonohara) of the bunch. The whole spoiler[Dollars vs Yellow Scarves] storyline had potential, but that fell apart really fast when it turned into the typical cliche bad guys bit. I don't know, this show just didn't have that spark that Baccano had in my opinion.
egoist

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:30 am Reply with quote
Meh. Feels like fake ratings are taking over. This show hardly got anything close to neutral, yet there are 18 worst ever (Maid-sama is in the same situation). Lame. Count down till they take over Angel Beats! too.

Overall, the series lacked the awesome factor Baccano! had, thus if I had my ratings I'd probably rank both as excellent but would consider Baccano! slightly better. This last episode wasn't exactly disappointing, as it did bring a conclusion to the anime and characters. Best episode was definitely Shizuo's.

Two good shows gone. Good thing there's Clannad AS (am I relying on the ratings or what), Higurashi, and Blood+ (halfway through) on my watch list.

Also, the overuse of the word "cliche" is getting so common and annoying (basically the use of the word itself has become cliched) that I'll make this the last time I use the word.
_-D-_

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:38 am Reply with quote
I really enjoyed where it ended up. Although it definitely makes me interested to see exactly what the epilogue episode is going to cover when that gets released later, and where the story goes from here through the other books.

Overall, I was really impressed with the amount of development that occurred story-wise and character-wise. There were lots of characters and situations that could have easily been allowed to stay in grooves that actually covered quite a bit of ground while taking the time to establish why the characters were doing what they were doing. It didn't fall into a patterned presentation of endless circling to avoid change as long as possible, or longer.

It was very different from Baccano! overall but I think that was a good thing. Baccano! can be Baccano! and Durarara!! can be Durarara!! And I'd like to see more of both.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 23 of 25