• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Buried Treasure - Cosmo Police JUSTY

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:53 am Reply with quote
that second picture made me laugh out loud.
21stcenturydigitalboy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:13 am Reply with quote
So, basically, there's some hidden treasure within the hidden treasure ^_~ this sounds like something I will like, so checking it out for sure.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Fallen Wings

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:12 am Reply with quote
I got the raw Japanese manga a few days ago, so I was considering watching this one. Justin seems to be picking the titles I have an interest in. Wink

Though now you mention it, the original Area 88 might need a little attention in this column. Not many people know about it. And I'm still seeing little signs of Crystal Triangle. You know you want to watch it Laughing And The curse of Kazuo Umezu. That last episode was absolutely hilariously badly animated and told.

Ah so many suggestions ... sorry about that ^^; (Though I know you have Odin Photon Space Sailor Starlight somewhere ...)
Draxxxx

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:56 am Reply with quote
I think you definitely give this nifty little film short shrift, but I'm biased. I was a fan of the book way before VIZ's halfhearted translation and distribution, and was very happy to see Justy and Co animated at all. I think a viewer gets a lot for her money in 45 minutes of screen-time, and the anime is in many ways faithful to the characters and Okazaki's sensibilities and vision. I would urge you to seek out the original manga; it is brutal, heart-stopping, exhilarating... talk about buried treasure! At any rate, thanks for posting this!
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:04 am Reply with quote
This definitely looks like and sounds like a definite watch. The 80s sure were a mysterious time for anime. It was a time of OAVs that only had between 2 to 5 episodes, and when they end so abruptly, you know you want to see more. Some kind of ending, even if it's cheese or fairy tale-ish.
Anime World Order

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:52 am Reply with quote
Back in "the day," Cosmo Police Justy was a staple of many an anime club meeting. The reason was simple: it was short, looks visually distinctive, and best of all, there's hardly any dialog. In an era where actually putting subtitles on top of a picture was difficult, a cartoon where you can pretty much figure out everything just by looking at it was one that was easier for people to get into. No need for synopses or scripts, or someone who knows a bit of Japanese to say out loud what is happening to the best of their knowledge.

People don't typically have much patience for raws, especially nowadays. If something comes out and no translated version is available, they'll just watch something else that IS translated instead. But in Justy's heyday, that option didn't exist. So you'd watch the neat-looking cartoon about some blue-haired dude in space who gets ticked off and psychically makes everyone freaking explode in those last few minutes. And you'd be like "YES."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Draxxxx

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:01 pm Reply with quote
AWO makes an excellent point, one I neglected to share, earlier. Justy was often used an "intro to anime" for graphically-inclined but unlearned friends, for all the reasons mentioned above: brevity, simplicity of story, "Yes, COOL" factor...
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Great review as always. Also props to AWO for his imput.
I remember seeing this feature in old anime mags. I had always wanted to see it. The designs and imagery were what drew my attention. Also, I knew people from the old days of anime, when folks watched things "raw" that would talk a great deal about this flick. Sadly I never had the chance of seeing it. But it's 80's legacy that would live on in my head in hopes that I would one day have a chance to see it. It's surprising that I hasn't been re-released on DVD in Japan. Though it is available through some fansub circles. One that some might be familiar with for releasing other vintage titles (i.e., 'Call me Tonight).

One of these days when I have time I want to sit down and check this out. I miss the older days of anime. And to think that "moe" could have existed in the 80's. Eventually I think it's time for some historians to create a collective guide to many of the "fan-terms" of today and see if there were any shows that it applied to decades before.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Moe definitely existed in the 80's, it just wasn't widespread and ubiquitous like it is now. C-ko from Project A-ko had some of the moe stuff going for her, when she wasn't the most annoying being in existence. The big eyes and cuteness were present in the main character and narrator of SPT Layzner. And there's tons of other examples as well.

I watched this just about 1 and a half to 2 months ago. It was interesting, but not too memorable in the long run.
TokyoGetter

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Draxxxx wrote:
AWO makes an excellent point, one I neglected to share, earlier. Justy was often used an "intro to anime" for graphically-inclined but unlearned friends, for all the reasons mentioned above: brevity, simplicity of story, "Yes, COOL" factor...

Hell, I grew up during that age, and I STILL feel that way. Smile
TokyoGetter

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
Eventually I think it's time for some historians to create a collective guide to many of the "fan-terms" of today and see if there were any shows that it applied to decades before.

Look at the Otaku Encyclopedia by Patrick Galbraith.
jgreen

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:59 pm Reply with quote
I'm kind of surprised that nowhere in the article is the word "Macross" mentioned. I look at Tsuguo Okazaki's art style and all I can think of is how much it looks like Haruhiko Mikimoto's work. (Unsurprising, I guess, that according to the ANN encyclopedia, Okazaki also drew the Macross II manga adaptation). Justy sounds like an interesting trainwreck of an anime, though...sounds right up my alley.

Also, a slight correction: Justy wasn't one of Viz's three launch titles. The third title was The Legend of Kamui. According to Comic Book DB, Justy came out in December '88, a year and a half after Mai did.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Thanks on that note to walw6pK4Alo and TokyoGetter.

Yeah that's right. Then I guess 'L' from the 'Kabocha Wine' would have some moe qualities. That is if you're the type that like your girls big and sweet. Now there's a series worth reviewing.

I'll check that book out. Wink
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Sounds like a pretty fun anime, actually, though a lot like many of the other short OVA/movies I've seen from the same time period.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:21 pm Reply with quote
This one reminded me a lot of Towards the Terra. The main character could even be Soldier Blue himself. It could easily fit within the same universe, although likely at a different time.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2