• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Katanagatari (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mister V

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Semi-flaming not so thinly veiled by Tropes aside, I really don't understand the problem with dialogue. How can there ever be too much dialogue? You've never tried visual novels, for example? If anything, anime characters love to stop midsentence, which is only frustrating and cliché. I get the feeling you're interpreting this as a fight show, whereas it's quirky dialogue-based comedy in a setting that allows for random diversions such as fights; not that different from Bakemonogatari, though I'd say the latter has more colourful characters (but then we've only had 3 episodes of Katana). In other words, I can't see how this show "sucks" when it's more original (or at least appears so) than most other shows. I'm not a veteran anime fan, but I think it's safe to say that by now I understand where the "average" lies. Just appreciate the show for its strengths - it'll be more enjoyable, and there won't be any need for overreaction.

I agree that the fight, and the story of the Thousand itself, was underdeveloped here, but it clearly is because they intended it to be about the spoiler[sympathetic antagonist's backstory and perhaps making us wonder about the morality of Shichika's actions] rather than the fight itself. Well, unless the novel spends most of its time describing the fight, but I kind of doubt that.

There are some things I'd like explained. For example, when did Shichika decide that he's Togame's sword? I don't remember the moment. How come they're not being "poisoned" by those swords?
SoandSo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Flaming, heh. I must've missed that day when the definition of "discussion" changed to "worship unconditionally and punish all unbelievers."

Quote:
Semi-flaming not so thinly veiled by Tropes aside, I really don't understand the problem with dialogue. How can there ever be too much dialogue? You've never tried visual novels, for example?

You're...kidding, right? Please tell me you're being facetious. How on earth can you not see how skidding the entire show to a halt with constant, pointless ballber that does nothing to advance the plot, develop characters, and could be done even better with actual action(not fighting action, the sort of action I mentioned in those two examples in my first rant) is a a terrible thing? It truly boggles the mind how a show with the good fortune of having twenty-five more minutes to tell its story can squander it so badly. When freakin' Champloo can weave more affecting, satifying narratives in half the running time, you have failed. Epicly.

And don't even get me started on Bakemono; despite my avatar, I hate that pile even more. Wink

I'm not interpreting the show as something it isn't, I'm seeing it for what it's trying to do and failing so badly at. I noted its strengths, but its failures are just too many and too crippling to bother with it any longer. And even if the fights aren't the point, why have any at all if they're not goin to put any effort into them? And HAH on the "the collect-em-all plotline with dumb, hapless guy following tsundere #3,861's orders while making glib observations and getting beaned for doing so is more original" comment. HAH, I say.

Again, I feel sorry for you guys. Best of luck waiting for and sitting through this gimmick.[/i]
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:35 pm Reply with quote
SoandSo wrote:
Again, I feel sorry for you guys. Best of luck waiting for and sitting through this gimmick.[/i]

No need to feel sorry for us - we are enjoying the show because we understand what it is trying to do. Your comments clearly demonstrate that you don't. That's cool. I hope you find something more to your liking soon. Very Happy
SoandSo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
SoandSo wrote:

No need to feel sorry for us - we are enjoying the show because we understand what it is trying to do. Your comments clearly demonstrate that you don't. That's cool. I hope you find something more to your liking soon. Very Happy

Whatever you got to tell yourself to cope.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:16 pm Reply with quote
I'm thinking Pokemon might be up your alley.
SoandSo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:34 pm Reply with quote
Too busy with The Office; lots of talking, cept things happen, characters are fun, it's actually funny, and did I mention sh** actually happens?

Pokemon would be a step up from Katana, though. Pre-Johto, of course. Wink
egoist

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Oh, no, Blood-. A regular whiner is always welcome to join a discussion, so don't ask him to leave. Yes, please, stay and tell us what a crappy time you're having. We are having our fun reading your frustrated words, we certainly are.

Well, I thought that episode 3 was inferior to the first two action-wise. The fight was settled way too fast, and he ran away from the enemy's strongest attack. So at this point I begin to wonder where is his decision of taking on the enemies' most powerful attack, so he'd get stronger by doing that. Unfortunately, he completely forgot about that during this episode, it seems. Inferior or not, it was a good episode, and the series is progressing quite smoothly and enjoyably. Not that less than one hour a month is any sacrifice for such a good anime, anyway.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Believe me when I say that, judging by your taste, I have absolutely NO problem believing that you would find Pokemon a step up from Katanagatari.
SoandSo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:10 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Oh, no, Blood-. A regular whiner is always welcome to join a discussion, so don't ask him to leave. Yes, please, stay and tell us what a crappy time you're having. We are having our fun reading your frustrated words, we certainly are.

Nowhere near as much fun as I love toying around tit-for-tat with you because I dare to not follow the gospel. "Discussion" means wot? Anime hyper Shame it's so easy to provoke your wrath with my silly points and reasoned criticisms. Wink

Believe me when I say that, judging by your taste, I have absolutely NO problem believing that you would find Pokemon a step up from Katanagatari.

Hehe, and from a Blood+ fan. The irony. Anime hyper
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:24 pm Reply with quote
Admit it, Sparky - if Blood+ had a cool card trading game to go with it like Pokeman, you would have LOVED it! Be fair.
egoist

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:27 pm Reply with quote
SoandSo wrote:
Nowhere near as much fun as I love toying around tit-for-tat with you because I dare to not follow the gospel. "Discussion" means wot? Anime hyper Shame it's so easy to provoke your wrath with my silly points and reasoned criticisms. Wink

Oh, that wasn't meant to sound like I'm enraged. You see, I just came back from a 13-hour shift, and am going for another in 9 hours, so I'd definitely not be here unless it was for fun. Nothing personal either, but thanks for keeping us updated and coming right into the anime's thread just to tell us what a crappy experience you had, and that you'll drop it. Oh, if everyone around here did that this forum wouldn't last a week. But of course I'm not saying that you're flaming or anything like that.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Actually further discussion has made me think more about the latest one, and on the series itself. Katanagatari might appear like a fighting sword anime, but I think it is not, yes fighting is what leads them their goals, but there is a bit too much time with just talking. More likely it is more about 'why fight', might sound simular and often is a part of a fighting series, but there is more of a focus on 'why', aswell as a deconstruction of the genre. In fact if you remember the first episode it mentioned most reasons to fight were coruptable.

It is interesting as the main character can not give much of an answer excpet for that he fell for the girl, almost a little too simple. It is not for everyone, I am sorry if anyone is having a bad time over it, but don't always take things at face value. A simular thing was in Bakemonogatari, where what it might appear at first is not the point, in fact it can be common to do a bit of a destraction.
SoandSo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Meh, card games are sooo 1999. I'd rather play the video games...oh wait, no I wouldn't. Well, I'm sure the movies, like that straight-to-dvd...you know what? I'm going back to Power Rangers. Crying or Very sad

Quote:
Nothing personal either, but thanks for keeping us updated and coming right into the anime's thread just to tell us what a crappy experience you had, and that you'll drop it. Oh, if everyone around here did that this forum wouldn't last a week.

And I'm sure a discussion thread would be fun forever if it was nothing but dudes parading in and out to spout "NOTHER GREAT EPISODE" every week. Look, I don't care that you like it, or that you don't care that I don't like it. Last I checked, you can voice your opinion positive or negative, and DISCUSS whatever from there. So yeah, as long as peeps like Mister V feel like DISCUSSING why I feel what I do, I'll do so, and as long as Blood- wants to have fun and screw around, cool. This thread was pretty dead anyway. Laughing

But dun worry, I'm done with this show, so next...month, I guess, you can go back to going "I liked it again, because it wos gud" back and forth without fear of having your pure, whitewashed heavenland no longer tainted with debate and dissenting opinion EVVVVVER again. Very Happy
Hentai_JP

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:57 pm Reply with quote
Katanagatari can hardly be considered as action show so complaining about the lack of thereof I find to be rather silly. And Blood-, kudos to you for defending Katana... some people just love to bitch about show for being what it is (like slice of life series not having enough action and so on) or openly insult intelligence of others who actually like the said show. ADD? Very well might be, as dropping the show without crapping all over it and it's fans is simply not their style.

As for third episode - very enjoyable. I find it to be slightly better than first two as we finally see more than just Shichika & Togame dialogue, meaningless at times, for nearly entire episodes. The bandit queen is a rather interesting character, was she trying to repent for her crimes, well she chose an interesting way and method to do that. Love Shichika's attitude to killing. It's just his, well, job.

Quote:
RahXephon: half-baked pile of NGE Lite crap.

Now I absolutely HAVE to see it just so I can, in turn, bitch about it.
egoist

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:14 pm Reply with quote
Hentai_JP wrote:
Katanagatari can hardly be considered as action show so complaining about the lack of thereof I find to be rather silly.

Oh, in case that's about me, then I'd say that I didn't make myself clear enough. I'm not after the action, nor would I complain about the lack of it, I just said that the action present in this episode is inferior. Perhaps "action" was the wrong word. What I actually meant was the fight and the strategy he usually uses, like in the previous episode where it was shown in detail. I also enjoy the Bakemonogatari feel it gives, and that was noticeable since episode 1.

SoandSo wrote:
And I'm sure a discussion thread would be fun forever if it was nothing but dudes parading in and out to spout "NOTHER GREAT EPISODE" every week.

Bla bla bla. I'll make myself clear enough this time, since I'm going to bed now. I, enjoy, your, rant. I, laugh, at, your, rant. Roger.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 13