• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Now Streaming: Mobile Suit Gundam Z (subtitled)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:10 pm Reply with quote
animehermit wrote:
I literally just downloaded this show, and now i fell dirty because i can watch it legally. so I've decided to delete it and watch the one here on ANN, besides the version i downloaded had really crappy audio( at least for the Japanese track, hell i think it was mono for christs' sake)

so THANK YOU ANN! not only is the video quality the same as what i downloaded but the audio is good too!

Mono is what a lot of shows were back then, unless it's has some audio re-mastering.
ZakuAce

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:42 pm Reply with quote
excellent, I can get another Gundam series under my belt.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Out of interest, is there any likelihood of this series being released with the theme music intact? I understand that Bandai were unable to obtain the rights to the pieces in question, though was that due to circumstances beyond their control?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
Out of interest, is there any likelihood of this series being released with the theme music intact? I understand that Bandai were unable to obtain the rights to the pieces in question, though was that due to circumstances beyond their control?

Hey, maybe if Bandai Entertainment licenses the Blu-Ray release.

But the instrumentals aren't at all bad. They are from the OST after all.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
smilydude13

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:33 pm Reply with quote
I actually liked the instrumentals. First time I watched Zeta was with them and I always looked forward to starting a new episode because of the awesome music.
bravetailor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Yes, the instrumentals certainly aren't BAD (though a bit too reminiscent of John Williams at times) but after googling the original OP, I still feel the original OP song fits better. Still, a minor issue IMO.

Re-watching this series, I'm actually quite surprised I didn't notice how ANGRY this show is from the beginning--in a good way! Kamille is a guy with a big chip on his shoulder right from minute one. This is Tomino's "Rebel Without a Cause" peak, and I just love its anti-authority attitude, which is one reason why I still feel the ending of the TV fits better than the movies.

The one thing I love about Tomino is that the shows he directs oozes his personality at the time they are made. In an industry where "auteur theory" is all too conveniently and erroneously thrown around, Tomino is one of the few who is the real deal. Like him or hate him, his shows reflect who he is. There are "better" Gundam shows out there, perhaps, but none of them are quite as personal as the ones where he's at the helm.
smilydude13

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Really? I thought the instrumentals suited Zeta more than the original. That might be because that's what I watched with the first time but the original seemed a little too upbeat to me.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:54 pm Reply with quote
smilydude13 wrote:
Really? I thought the instrumentals suited Zeta more than the original. That might be because that's what I watched with the first time but the original seemed a little too upbeat to me.

You don't wanna have a pure time? Everyone's a noble mind.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
bravetailor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:55 pm Reply with quote
smilydude13 wrote:

The musical cues on the original OP fit the animation onscreen better, is what I meant. The OP may have been too upbeat for the show itself, but it was more in tune with the onscreen action in the OP (Music swells or rises when something in the animation glows, etc,.)
smilydude13

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:42 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
smilydude13 wrote:

You don't wanna have a pure time? Everyone's a noble mind.
Haha. Love that part.
pajmo9

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:01 am Reply with quote
Nice! This is definitely my favorite anime. It has such great characters and the story is amazing.

Otaking09 wrote:
Quote:
kefkaownsall wrote:
I'm not looking forward to Seed Destiny. Most overrated show ever.

Not to me. Sure it's not as good as it's prequel,but it's still a very good series. It's a hell of a lot better than it's live action movie G Saviour as well as SD Gundam. Though were bad and the one that was overatted was G Gundam. Sure it was a decent series when it showed on Toonami,but its medicocore at best.
Either way i like zeta cause in this one Char wasn't a lunatic unlike in the movie, and the main is a definate anti amuro which was a plus. Hope it's dub version comes out. they should re-release it on DVD but time they should get the rights to the OP and ED

BUT what they should really do is get double zeta dubbed cause for harcdore dubbers like myself, it don't make sense that zeta has one but it's sequel doesn't. Now that i'll be definately looking forward too. Also if they manage to get Gundam X and Turn A Gundam,that too will be a treat.

I hear ya! To me, the CE Gundams were my favorites! In fact, to this day, I STILL don't get how it's despised so much in America! I will give Zeta a try, of course. But the fact that it's a sequel series, makes me a little worried about conitunity...

But I love ANN for giving me a chance to watch, and in a legal method!

I personally liked the CE series my self as well. Their by far my favorite alternate universe. But, I still don't think its nearly as good as the UC. I have to admit though, I still haven't seen the last 10 episodes of Turn A yet. Depending on how they turn out, CE may be bumped down a spot.

I wouldn't worry to much about the fact that Zeta is a sequel. Its pretty well known for being better then the original. Its probably the most famous sequel in anime. It plays of the events of the original nicely.

I have to agree with the people who liked the new OP and ED. I still wish we had gotten the original OP and ED but the instrumentals fit very well.

Otaking09

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:43 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I hear ya! To me, the CE Gundams were my favorites! In fact, to this day, I STILL don't get how it's despised so much in America! I will give Zeta a try, of course. But the fact that it's a sequel series, makes me a little worried about conitunity...

But I love ANN for giving me a chance to watch, and in a legal method!

...I dread the thought that someone hacked, or used my account to post this message.

True, thus far, the C.E. timeline has been my favorite because it, in many ways, serves to entertain people who aren't usual fans of mecha or traditional Tomino-style Gundams.
Also true, that, besides it using it's similar story of SEED to make a new point, I'm a bit baffled as to why most people on this side of the Pacific frown upon it.

A close second to the SEED/Destiny is, again true, Turn A. Mostly because of this...

Quote:
The one thing I love about Tomino is that the shows he directs oozes his personality at the time they are made. In an industry where "auteur theory" is all too conveniently and erroneously thrown around, Tomino is one of the few who is the real deal. Like him or hate him, his shows reflect who he is. There are "better" Gundam shows out there, perhaps, but none of them are quite as personal as the ones where he's at the helm.

...reason here.
The series reeks of bold, ambitious, craftmanship. There's also a faint tint of sorrow. As if Turn A is a farewell to his U. Century and a warm embrace to the "Future" Century.

And while I am looking forward to watching Zeta, I am not worried about "conitunity"(I don't misspell words like that typically Mr. Pseudo-Otaking09).
Quite the contrary, I've always wanted to see Zeta first because it's rumored to be the best of it's generation. Of course, to possibly make the exp. better, I decided to go back and finish up 1st Gundam(something, as a whole, I wasn't overly impressed with. Though the movies was better time spent), watch the side-story Gundam OVAs(0080, 8th MS Team, 0083), and... now I'm pretty much set.

TBH, I'm quite curious as to what to expect from Zeta. If it's no trouble can anyone give a rough comparison to a similar series? It helps me get a handle of "what's to come".

(Again, I REALLY, REALLY don't think I said that previous forum entry. Someone must've remembered that I love SEED/Destiny, and mentioned Zeta a couple of times. That's it.
Oh! But I am grateful to ANN and there Vid Player! Because of that, I got to experience Nerima Daikon Bro., Ghost Stories, bits of Casshern Sins, Oh! Edo Rocket, Area 88[OVA], and Grrl Power! So watching Zeta here is most probable.)
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:19 am Reply with quote
Ugh. Don't speak of CE Gundam in the same breath as a masterpiece like Zeta Gundam. I die a little inside.

But if you must have a reference, imagine Destiny, except with better writing and a main character that's actually the main character, and who develops.

Now I feel ill just speaking of that CE program.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:26 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Ugh. Don't speak of CE Gundam in the same breath as a masterpiece like Zeta Gundam. I die a little inside.

But if you must have a reference, imagine Destiny, except with better writing and a main character that's actually the main character, and who develops.

I've described Zeta Gundam to my friends as SEED destiny mixed with Gundam 00 season 2. Only with a better plot, characters, and music.
Otaking09

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

penguintruth... I know you have a deep-rooted disdain for CE.(I learned that from the Gundam 00 movie review)
Probably for good reasons! Maybe they're petty... I dunno. One has to remember two things: 1. One mans trash is another mans treasure and 2. People tend to base their standards one what they've exp. first. It's human nature.
Saying that it's "like Destiny, but with better writing and a main character that's wholly focused and 'develops" neither humors, impresses, OR enlightens me(or others who like CE).

Personally, I loved Shinn's spoiler[previous exp. as a civy who enlisted to "preserve the peace"] and how Athrun's spoiler[similar origin made the 1st half a tense, mysterious, relationship bordering between camaderie and buddy-cop/soul brothers.]
All of Shinn's "own" exp. spoiler[lead him to places that not even Athrun could fix or explain.]

So as to Shinn's development... yes it's "part of the story", but it's not exclusive. Isn't variety a good thing?

Even if your primary quabble is that CE is a cheap, utter rip-off of something monumental... all I have to say is look as to why the show was even concieved.
Two previous Gundams, though good shows, did not do well financially.
CE is accredited at bringing back Gundam into the picture. If nothing else, that HAS to be acknowledged.

You probably don't give a rats @$$ over what I think, but even if you dislike something... extensively. But remember(and this is almost always ignored on the Net): respect people's opinions.

That all being said, does spoiler[Char and Kamille share the same bond as Athrun and Shinn?]

Quote:
I've described Zeta Gundam to my friends as SEED destiny mixed with Gundam 00 season 2. Only with a better plot, characters, and music.

I like to think of 00 as a Gundam Wing but with a better focus on bishonen(why did they subject Tiera to that...), a greater focus on the stakings, and a criss-cross plot that resembled Code Geass except the driver was "supposedly" intelligent instead of being emotionally disturbed.
That being said, I've heard more comparisons between Zeta and SEED Destiny than with Wing/00.

And... don't dis Sahashi's musical prowess... That man knows how to use insert songs(something Kawai didn't use so much of), and his general usage emotes epicness, enhancing of emotions, and (goes without saying) promoting of sweet mecha fights.

No matter what you say, penguintruth, Fukuda made a right choice in hiring Sahashi.
And, on a somewhat off-topic note, I recently watched Gear Fighter Dendoh; not the most "mature" of kids' anime, but it had heart, a sense of drive, and(considering that it was derived from the Brave sagas which I have yet to see) it didn't become something it wasn't, or didn't want to be.
All that and had Sahashi.
Just wanted to throw that in there.

Back to REAL topic: Can't wait to try out Zeta!!! Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4