• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Blass Radius

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:37 pm Reply with quote
I disagree with many of Erin's reviews (not the ones this week, however), but I still value her opinions.

To me, one of the points of reading reviews like this one is to get a different viewpoint; not necessarily an opposing one, merely different. It doesn't matter if I agree with her conclusions, only that I try to see where she is coming from. That means she needs to state her opinion in such a way that I *can* figure out where she's coming from. By and large, she does this, and so I find her reviews to be worthwhile.
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:37 pm Reply with quote
it should be noted D. Gray Man went completely off the track of the manga. the whole series is pretty much filler material.
bleachigo66

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Wow, quite the strong opinion on D. Grayman! I've never tried it, but definetly wouldn't start with this box set if I were to try it! (though I don't know who would start half way through) Laughing
Jaymie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:50 pm Reply with quote
The entire second season of D.Gray-Man is filler. But please don't be discouraged by it. The fillers are eliminated completely in seasons three and four, and that's when the story picks up and things are actually accomplished. Namely, as the review wished for, spoiler[them actually finding General Cross, fighting the Millennium Earl, and actually killing Noahs for once.]
Otaking09

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Kinda disappointing...

It's SUPER rare for Erin to place anything in Shelf Worthy. And after about a week and a half, still nothin'?

Not that I don't disagree... for the most part. I haven't seen any of these titles, but judging from reviews, samples, and personal tastes, I believe I'd still feel the same.

It's funny how many people get bent outta shape over a comment that appears to be... harsh (for lack of a better word).

Still... One would hope that Soul Eater, Monster, some Bleach(es), or Nanas would make it into Shelf Life.
It just seems like Erin isn't getting into the "mainstream" anime. She's only reviewing the less talked about ones...
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Nothing to say about the DVDs other than "no surprise" with the ratings.
But how I wish I was going to a Polysics show, they put on such an awesome performance (saw them when they did a myspace tour with three utterly craptastic emo bands). If I had another fan to travel with I would have gone to last week's Chicago show.

Can't believe Fumi is leaving. Crying or Very sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Aww, I like the way The Simpsons has been going as of late, now that Family Guy isn't directly influencing the way the show is written.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:21 pm Reply with quote
First off, thanks for including the links to the earlier reviews, that really helped me in some odd way.
I have yet to see the DGM anime but I do like the manga alright (recently though, ehhhhh) and it sounds like most of the stuff you've been seeing are fillers. So at least I know which episodes I can speed through when I do get a chance to watch it.
And I still want to see Blassrieter, even thought you hated it so. I remember that there was another review that was the total opposite of yours on here so it seems like this is just a hit or miss show. But I'll be sure to have the wiki character page up when I'm watching it anyway.
Xanas

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, there is plenty of Blassreiter to find problematic but as far as not being understandable I'd have to disagree. It really does a pretty good job, IMO, in the second half of going into the back story and making some sense of how people are.

I haven't finished the series yet (on 3rd disc, so only 1 more to go) but I think it's a good show, solid, but not fantastic. I'll probably rate it "very good" and that's because I actually think it's got a lot going for it visually and the plot/characters are interesting.

The main things that bothered me a little were the extremely melodramatic situations that were just beyond plausible. I had a lot of difficulty believing that some of the bullying kids could really be that evil. I don't know, maybe I'm naive, but I don't think so. I had a fair share of bullying against me when I was a kid, and kids are totally punks sometimes, but nothing like these kids. It also seemed crazy that the character having to face them became somewhat of a pacifist type (he fights but avoids killing humans) despite these people.
Dark Elf Warrior

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:30 pm Reply with quote
D. Gray Man never interested me, and I fail to see the appeal of this anime. But I was sirprised anyway to hear Erin say what I've thought.

I'm not as interested in Case Closed as I used to be, so I don't know if I'll see the movie or not. It does sound interesting though.

Quote:
Still... One would hope that Soul Eater, Monster, some Bleach(es), or Nanas would make it into Shelf Life.
It just seems like Erin isn't getting into the "mainstream" anime. She's only reviewing the less talked about ones...

I can agree on this. I'm interested in Bleach, but I would like to know how Soul Eater and Nana are. And yes, I think Erin is only reviewing the less talked about. There should be a balance. Review less talked about anime and review "mainstream" ones.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:52 pm Reply with quote
I loved the 4th case closed movie. yes the park scene fails the logic test BUT, it is still A EXCELENT FILM. I thought it was a well done story. if you like case closed at all you should see this movie. the scenes with rachel are very well done, and there is a scence with a new charcter that is VERY INSIGHTFUL into her personality, also they have been doing much better with the dub. if you like mysteries or conan you should see this movie.
championferret

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:04 pm Reply with quote
Seeing the levels of suck the D.Gray-man anime apparently reaches makes me sad inside. I'm a HUGE fan of the manga (it and One Piece are my personal favourites from Jump), but I gave up on the anime around episode 20 because it just got too stupid.

Although, generally I avoid the anime counterparts to long running shonen series because they kind of always seem to suck. (Although I've heard some people say Gintama's anime isnt bad, although I haven't seen much of it) While One Piece's anime manages to be tolerable now and then, the way they drag things out and the filler in it makes me headdesk. I can't quite get my head around the mindset of some people that refuse to read the manga of so many series like this and only watch the anime...they just miss out on so much.
John Casey

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:28 pm Reply with quote
Heh. Harsher than usual. Surprised

I never saw D. Gray-man, but I always figured it was at least halfway decent considering all the type surrounding it.

....Then again, Yu-Gay-Oh is hyped to hell as well...! Anime hyper
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:52 pm Reply with quote
I don't suppose that you have a spare ticket to the Polysics concert, do you? D:
dizzon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:05 pm Reply with quote
I'm enjoying DGM season 1 so far, hearing season 2 is filler-packed kind of bums me out but I'll cross that bridge when I get there. Good that Jaymie says it kicks back into gear for seasons 3 and 4 so that's all the encouragement I needed. Thanks for the heads up.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5