• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Section23's Clannad Dub Upgrade, Cast Detailed

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:31 am Reply with quote
Wow... my patience paid off. I actually bought two entire collections of Kanon (with artboxes), one for myself and one for my mom. She hasn't watched the whole series yet, but she has enjoyed what she's seen. And when this was first released sub-only, it saddened me that she wouldn't be able to watch it, as it's hard for her to read subtitles. This re-release is perfect, as I can again buy two copies (gotta support what you love), and we can both enjoy it as we wish. Thanks neo-ADV, for starting to be awesome again. (Though I doubt I'll be able to stand the dub any more than I could your old ones. Here's hoping I'm wrong.)
configspace

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:35 am Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
They then likely cut as many corners and costs as they could (hence why it was all sub-only at first) just to put something out. They still aren't doing super since they need outside funding even to do what they are doing now. Some of the current theory on these dubs is that companies in other English speaking countries partially financied these for better licensing deals on their end.

In other words, it's quite possible that we're only getting a Clannad dub because fans in another country also wanted an English dub.

Section23 is currently doing better than just surviving but they aren't back where they were when they were ADV and probably never will be. Fewer consumers, rising costs (corporate taxes and property taxes are up folks.) and a constant demand for faster and cheaper means sometimes the companies will just say "screw it, we don't have time to proofread everything."

It sucks but so does life. Deal with it or don't, but unless you can convince a few thousand more people to buy anime DVDs, it won't change a thing. Frankly, I think it's great they take the time to try and fix the errors from the first time around instead of just avoiding the extra work. I'm happy to get what little I can nowadays.

I thought the dub was possible due to the fact that the sub-only DVDs sold very well, as commented by one of the VAs...
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:17 am Reply with quote
There's an addition $3? What the hell? At least there isn't a sales tax as well.

At any rate, this series will be on TANoD tomorrow, and it'll be the chance to preview before deciding to upgrade. I'm actually looking forward to Luci as Nagisa (so long as she doesn't sound like Duck, that is).

Sadly, I won't be able to hear Hilary's role as Fuko. She's not introduced this early.

If anyone from Section23 is reading: I converted my DVDs to thinpak, so the original cases are long gone. Would this still be acceptable?
I tried contacting through Section23's website, but... couldn't find a contact link anywhere.

Seriously. Update the website. It's long overdue, especially when initiating this program.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:18 am Reply with quote
I guesses three right - probably a record for me.

Prede wrote:
These are a bunch of old ADV stables

ADV keep horses? Or do you mean their office is a converted barn?
:p
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:14 pm Reply with quote
teh*darkness wrote:
Thanks neo-ADV, for starting to be awesome again. (Though I doubt I'll be able to stand the dub any more than I could your old ones. Here's hoping I'm wrong.)

So you didn't like their dub for Kanon either? Razz

PetrifiedJello wrote:

If anyone from Section23 is reading: I converted my DVDs to thinpak, so the original cases are long gone. Would this still be acceptable?
I tried contacting through Section23's website, but... couldn't find a contact link anywhere.

Seriously. Update the website. It's long overdue, especially when initiating this program.

Right Stuf is handling the trade in program, so you would need to contact them regarding questions like this.

They're website should be up soon, and I think part of the hold up was due to the fact they were awaiting to announce their dub shows. It will probably cut down on the angry emails that seem to frequent the companies that do sub-only releases.
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:15 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
teh*darkness wrote:
Thanks neo-ADV, for starting to be awesome again. (Though I doubt I'll be able to stand the dub any more than I could your old ones. Here's hoping I'm wrong.)

When I said "gotta support what you love," I meant it. I watched Kanon fansubbed, and after having seen some of the clips of the dub they had on their website at the time, had no interest in watching it that way. It may not have been as bad (to me) as the stuff they released between 2001-2007 (when I bought the majority of my anime), but I'm not in that big a hurry to ruin my enjoyment of Kanon to discover if the dub is acceptable to me or not.
ZenErik

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:23 pm Reply with quote
teh*darkness wrote:
dragonrider_cody wrote:
teh*darkness wrote:

When I said "gotta support what you love," I meant it. I watched Kanon fansubbed, and after having seen some of the clips of the dub they had on their website at the time, had no interest in watching it that way. It may not have been as bad (to me) as the stuff they released between 2001-2007 (when I bought the majority of my anime), but I'm not in that big a hurry to ruin my enjoyment of Kanon to discover if the dub is acceptable to me or not.

Indeed.

I've watched Kanon subbed a few times. I watched one episode with the English dub and was horrified. It sounded awful to me. No ones voice fit their character, IMO.

There was another thread on here with a bunch of people proclaiming their love of the Kanon dub though, and somehow I was called a troll for not liking it. So, I guess a lot of people enjoy the English dub. Razz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
_Earthwyrm_

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:56 pm Reply with quote
sdhd wrote:
Section23 (previously was ADV), VIZ, Bandai, and Funimation have been in the American anime market long enough that the issues from above should have been addressed years ago and the products today should be at least perfect without mistakes.

You're right. At the very least, the products we get should be perfect.
Talk about unachievable standards.

No perfection+? Confused
No buy. Mad
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:19 pm Reply with quote
ZenErik wrote:

There was another thread on here with a bunch of people proclaiming their love of the Kanon dub though, and somehow I was called a troll for not liking it. So, I guess a lot of people enjoy the English dub. Razz

Everybody has differing tastes and nothing is wrong with that. Just because you don't like something doesn't mean you are trolling, unless you actually go and tell people they are stupid for liking it, or something along those lines.

For instance, I think Ouran is one of the worst dubs ever made. Everyone is miscast. The direction is horrible, and even normally good VA's like Vic Mignogna don't even seem to try. Howere, it should be noted that I think that of most Funimation dubs, especially the last few years. But there are quite a few people here and at other places that liked Ouran.

Though I think someone should give a show more than 1 or 2 episodes before they make a decision on the dub. Often it can take a VA a few episodes to grow into their character and achieve a really good performance. Hell, despite feeling like someone was running nails down a chalkboard every time Haruhi talked, I still gave Ouran 5 or 6 episodes before I switched to the subs.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:59 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Not that I really care about Clannad, but I don't think I've ever heard of most of those VAs.

I would think given the amount of whining and complaining many do over the same small group being used over and over this would actually be a good thing. I mean they have to get a start somewhere. I like majority of the "common characters" we see doing VA work but some new blood would be nice. Hopefully some of these guys and gals can stick with it and widen the selection a bit. I am glad though that the 5-6 seasoned vets I recognize are all VA's I enjoy. Especially David Matranga, Greg Ayres, Shelley Calene-Black, and Brittney Karbowski.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:45 pm Reply with quote
I've been sort of wondering what happened Matranga and Guardiola.

I wish Patton would come back.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:45 pm Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:

You mean Chris Patton, the guy who was in Seraphim's recent dubs for both Appleseed and Halo? Who did a rather interesting performance in Baccano for FUNimation not all that long ago and is currently in Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:10 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
britannicamoore wrote:

You mean Chris Patton, the guy who was in Seraphim's recent dubs for both Appleseed and Halo? Who did a rather interesting performance in Baccano for FUNimation not all that long ago and is currently in Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood?
Owned.

Anyway, anybody know if they'll be updating the On Demand channels at midnight or will they wait until 7:00 AM? They're often pretty random at which of these two times they update with new episodes of anime, but if it's the former, then I'll probably be staying up to watch it.
sdhd

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
While you're right, it's important to think about where the company was recently. They'd just had most of their finacial backing and about a year's worth of licenses taken away. Then, after barely surviving by essentially breaking up into smaller companies and more or less ceasing to exist as ADV on paper, they managed to get just enough backing to license some new shows.

They then likely cut as many corners and costs as they could (hence why it was all sub-only at first) just to put something out. They still aren't doing super since they need outside funding even to do what they are doing now. Some of the current theory on these dubs is that companies in other English speaking countries partially financied these for better licensing deals on their end.

In other words, it's quite possible that we're only getting a Clannad dub because fans in another country also wanted an English dub.

Section23 is currently doing better than just surviving but they aren't back where they were when they were ADV and probably never will be. Fewer consumers, rising costs (corporate taxes and property taxes are up folks.) and a constant demand for faster and cheaper means sometimes the companies will just say "screw it, we don't have time to proofread everything."

It sucks but so does life. Deal with it or don't, but unless you can convince a few thousand more people to buy anime DVDs, it won't change a thing. Frankly, I think it's great they take the time to try and fix the errors from the first time around instead of just avoiding the extra work. I'm happy to get what little I can nowadays.

Stop making excuses for Section23 (ADV). I don't care about the sad sob story of ADV. ADV made mistakes in regards to Sojitz Corporation. It was due to poor management decisions along with Sojitz self-center greediness. That has nothing to do with releasing an anime series on dvds with typos.

By accepting the low standards set by the American anime companies instead of asking them to go the extra mile in the first place says its okay to keep producing anime dvds with the lack of quality because people will still buy them regardless. All I ask is no typos and no mistakes. I guess that is too much to ask for.

I am willing to pay more for better quality. I am not going to pay for poor quality.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:54 pm Reply with quote
sdhd wrote:

I am willing to pay more for better quality. I am not going to pay for poor quality.

He's not making excuses for Sentai. He's just stating some facts and his opinions. Whether or not that gives you any sympathy for their position, that's your decision. No one is forcing you to buy them or not. If even large studios makes mistakes on their DVD releases, you can hardly expect perfect releases from Sentai, Funimation, Media Blasters, or others with a small fraction of the work force.

However, if you don't want to spend money on the DVDs because of typos or other problems, there are other ways to legally support the creators of the show. Watch it on Anime Network (Where the subs were much better), stream it online, or even import the R2s.

BTW, I'm actually watching the dub on Anime Network, and I'm fairly impressed with it so far. I was a bit worried with some of the casting, especially Lucy Christian, but so far almost everyone is doing pretty well. Lucy actually is doing quite well as Nagisa and sounds little like the roles we most associate with her. Considering how long it's been since Seraphim has dubbed show, I'm rather impressed with the results. It's still a bit rough around the edges, as most anime dubs are in early episodes, but it's a good start.

So at least DirecTV updated their VOD at midnight.

EDIT: I only have two issues so far. Kyo and Nagisa's father. Kyou's voice doesn't quite seem to fit her, and her performance is a bit flat. However, it's an early episode, and I'm hopeful that will improve with time. It's not uncommon for English VA's to take sometime to grow into their characters.

However, the thing that bothers me the most, is that Nagisa's father mispronounces her name. He says it "Na-Gee-Sa". It's just not right at all.

One improvement however, is that they've added music to the English credits at the end. More Dango Family is never a bad thing! Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3