• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Twilight Graphic Novel Sells 66,000 Copies in First Week

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Drunk_Samurai

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:57 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
Drunk_Samurai wrote:
You're pretty damn stupid if you don't think that is abusive at all.

And you're a downright idiot if you go on a forum preaching about how horrible abusive relationships are, but you really have no idea as to what the definition is.

Here's something you apparently need, a website that goes into what an abusive relationship is.

The only things out of that Edward are guilty of are a few possible warning signs that COULD lead into an abusive relationship, and those would be his controlling quirks that have been mentioned before: jealousy, and laughably; always checking up on Bella. Lots of guys are guilty of this, but that doesn't mean the relationship is abusive.

You are an idiot for thinking that being controlling is not abuse.

Joichiro Nishi wrote:
Drunk_Samurai wrote:
Joichiro Nishi wrote:
Drunk_Samurai wrote:
I don't care if people buy this. I refuse to support something that makes people think abuse is good. Just because people want money should not mean they support abuse.

Then I strongly recommend you to not buy any manga or anime. Do you ever heard about hentai? What about shoujo smut? Don't make me start with harem, that chauvinist genre who teach teen boys to have unrealistic expectations with romance. The basic message is "If a girl mock of me, that means she loves me".

I don't read or watch any of that. I usually only read/watch Shounen and Seinen. With other non specific genres such as Space and Action. Also harem doesn't teach anybody that. If somebody thought that happened in real life then they are really really [expletive] stupid.

Because teen boys know the diference between reality and fantasy but teen girls are stupid, right? I'm tired of this Twilight bashing because it's just another proof of Internet misogyny. Twilight is nothing new, every generation has a cash cow for teen girls and the parents always protest because they want to protect their daughters's "fragile" mind. Meanwhile, guys can fantasize with unrealistic relationships like the "hot girl and nice guy (AKA socially inept stalker)" because "it's just a movie".

Actually all of them are pretty stupid if they do think so. Twilight makes girls think abusive relationships are good. Also there's nothing wrong with fantasizing about anything whether you are female or male.
rinmackie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Drunk_Samurai wrote:

..snip..

Actually all of them are pretty stupid if they do think so. Twilight makes girls think abusive relationships are good. Also there's nothing wrong with fantasizing about anything whether you are female or male.

Except teenage girls, all of whom, according to you, don't know the difference between fantasy and reality. You seem to be contradicting yourself, Drunk Samurai, you should lay off the sauce. I'm like vampire stories but I'm not a fan of Twilight, and yes, some of the fans are stupid and obnoxious. But it's not like the anime/manga fandom doesn't have it's own share of fans who are like that.

Anyone of either gender who uses a work of fiction as a guide for their real life is stupid. Stories about vampires are entertainment and I think most people who read them know that. Those who don't and try to live in a fantasy world probably already had issues that existed before they even read a Twilight novel. As for Edward being abusive; well he IS a vampire (though not much of one in my opinion.) As far as vampires go, he's a lightweight which is one of the reasons I don't like Twilight.

As for shonen, I don't think it's exactly replete with positive relationship messages, either.
Tomibiki

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Wow wait what? I fall asleep and we're talking about abusive relationships? You guys need to get out more.
labantnet

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:45 pm Reply with quote
I'm with rinmackie on this one. The concept of Vampires is abusive. The whole idea is giving yourself completely, body (flesh) and soul (blood), to another person, or in this case a monster. You are meant to be used and thrown away, or kept as property. So saying Twilight is different from other Vampire properties in that respect is kinda wrong.
Drunk_Samurai

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:12 pm Reply with quote
rinmackie wrote:
Drunk_Samurai wrote:

..snip..

Except teenage girls, all of whom, according to you, don't know the difference between fantasy and reality. You seem to be contradicting yourself, Drunk Samurai, you should lay off the sauce. I'm like vampire stories but I'm not a fan of Twilight, and yes, some of the fans are stupid and obnoxious. But it's not like the anime/manga fandom doesn't have it's own share of fans who are like that.

Anyone of either gender who uses a work of fiction as a guide for their real life is stupid. Stories about vampires are entertainment and I think most people who read them know that. Those who don't and try to live in a fantasy world probably already had issues that existed before they even read a Twilight novel. As for Edward being abusive; well he IS a vampire (though not much of one in my opinion.) As far as vampires go, he's a lightweight which is one of the reasons I don't like Twilight.

As for shonen, I don't think it's exactly replete with positive relationship messages, either.

[Mod Edit: Make your point without resorting to insults and vulgarities and you'll find that goes a long ways towards your credibility. Regardless, the rules specifically state you can disagree but are expected to do so respectfully, which you are not doing. - Keonyn]

labantnet wrote:
I'm with rinmackie on this one. The concept of Vampires is abusive. The whole idea is giving yourself completely, body (flesh) and soul (blood), to another person, or in this case a monster. You are meant to be used and thrown away, or kept as property. So saying Twilight is different from other Vampire properties in that respect is kinda wrong.

Twilight is different since there's no real vampires in it.
PBsallad

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:25 pm Reply with quote
Drunk_Samurai wrote:
rinmackie wrote:
Drunk_Samurai wrote:

..snip..

Hooray, look at me insult people who I don't agree with. I'm so cool, right?

labantnet wrote:

Twilight is different since there's no real vampires in it.

A vampire is what ever the author wants them to be. I'm not defending Twilight, but that needs to be said.

For instance in some current vampire stories vampires are killed in sunlight. But in the original Dracula, Drac was only slightly weakened by the sun. Some stories follow that myth wile others don't.
Quark

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Drunk_Samurai wrote:
like that.

I never said that at all. I think you need to reach up your ass again. You probably missed some shit when you pulled it out of there originally.

I think you need to simmer down. You do realize that you're breaking forum rules on here, right? You're more than welcome to disagree with someone, but it's not okay to call someone stupid, tell them to reach their hand up their ass, etc. Especially when you're going on about how abusive behaviour is wrong, and then proceed to be abusive to others.

Anyway, littlegreenwolf, I'm sorry to say it, but Edward is abusive. Is he worse than other manga characters, like Ryoki from Hot Gimmick, or Tsukasa from Hanadan? Lord no.
But a person can be abusive without raising a hand, intimidating, or verbally hurting their partner. When a guy starts telling his girlfriend who she can see and when, having his family kidnap her to keep her from seeing her friend, spying on her, and constantly keeping tabs on her, it's abusive. When a girl feels guilty because she wants to see her friend, and is afraid that her boyfriend will find out, it's abusive.
But in the end, I don't see anything wrong with young girls reading Twilight. Unlike Drunk_Samurai, I don't think all girls are so stupid that they can't tell what an unhealthy relationship looks like. When I was 14, I loved Fushigi Yuugi, but could see that Tamahome and Miaka's relationship was not a good one, and did not aspire to have one like it.
This Twilight rage doesn't make any sense to me. Yes, it's annoying that's it's everywhere, and yes, its fans are irritating, but it's just a stupid series. It's not like it's going to hurt anyone, and it's certainly not like anyone is being forced to read it. Myself, I find the books a guilty pleasure, and look forward to watching the movies with Rifftrax added. Although if you gave me a choice between Edward Cullen or Bill Compton, I'd pick Bill Compton anyday. At least he's not in a constant state of emo-pale-mopiness.
cetriya

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:15 pm Reply with quote
what I really want to know is since Meyer is already popular just how much leverage did she had when making the contract? is Yen really getting that much money? Is even Hachette getting as much? Did the artist get a decent wage (not saying that she didn't just asking for such a high property) and what are the cross promotion plans? is there ads for similar manga in the back? The only one I can think of is Vampire knight which isnt owned by Yen. Night school may have vamps in it but the characters and mood is too different.

I'm sure there will be a percentage that cross over and reads other comics/manga just want to know if Yen is taking full advantage of the opportunity.

Edit: Black Butler might work even though it doesnt have teen main characters
RestLessone

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:40 pm Reply with quote
cetriya wrote:
what I really want to know is since Meyer is already popular just how much leverage did she had when making the contract? is Yen really getting that much money? Is even Hachette getting as much? Did the artist get a decent wage (not saying that she didn't just asking for such a high property) and what are the cross promotion plans? is there ads for similar manga in the back? The only one I can think of is Vampire knight which isnt owned by Yen. Night school may have vamps in it but the characters and mood is too different.

I'm sure there will be a percentage that cross over and reads other comics/manga just want to know if Yen is taking full advantage of the opportunity.

Edit: Black Butler might work even though it doesnt have teen main characters

I'm thinking of running down to Barnes and Noble tomorrow to pick up some other books, so I'll check out the ads while I'm there. I'm thinking stuff like Maximum Ride, Gossip Girl, and other graphic novel adaptations will be there, though. Readers may be more familiar with those. If not, then my next guess would be manhwa. Out of Yen's current titles, the romantic ones that aren't stuff like Sumomomo, Momomo are all manhwa. The manhwa market needs help anyway, and the reading direction is the same, and art more familiar.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:59 am Reply with quote
cetriya wrote:
what I really want to know is since Meyer is already popular just how much leverage did she had when making the contract? is Yen really getting that much money? Is even Hachette getting as much? Did the artist get a decent wage (not saying that she didn't just asking for such a high property) and what are the cross promotion plans? is there ads for similar manga in the back?
Everyone is likely getting "enough" money. It's possible that some involved are looking at this as a way to generally promote themselves but I'm sure everyone is getting something halfway decent. Big money-maker projects like this can usually afford to be generous since no one's desperate.

Yen Press is sure to be taking some advantage of this as a cross promotional tool, though having not seen the product itself, I can't go into what they might be doing specifically. (Does anyone here want to admit to buying this? Anyone? Bueller?)

Even if they just put it out by itself, the company name recognition would be valuable and as has been said, this could be a gateway to other manga. Even 10% of the people who bought it giving manga a chance would be great.

Also, folks, why are we bringing real-life issues into a discussion about a story where vampires sparkle and werewolves exist? It's a fantasy and apparently there are plenty of people who like the idea of Ed as a romantic lead. (Personally I'm drawn to Yandere girls but whatever moves your furniture.)

Does everything have to be so damn PC? Every man presented as a the perfectly healthy paragon, every woman the same and all in equally perfect awesome ways? No conflicts except "normal" ones that are always resolved in positive pro-social ways? Are people really so easily manipulated that reading Twilight will make girls seek abusive realtionships? What's been the excuse before now, were women watching re-runs of The Honeymooners?

It's just a book. Whether or not Edward or any of the characters is abusive shouldn't matter because none of these people are real. Try to remember this is all just a book and anyone taking life lessons from a book with sparkling vampires in it should be seen as the sad and silly person they are. (Rather like taking life lessons from a harem anime or any anime really. I enjoy the genre but I certainly don't expect any real girl to act like the girls in them.)
suika

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
Are people really so easily manipulated that reading Twilight will make girls seek abusive realtionships? What's been the excuse before now, were women watching re-runs of The Honeymooners?

You know, this really reminds me of this Dangers of Shoujo manga article. Sad how the appeal of the bad boy and abusive relationships plagues both sides of the Pacific. Sad

Richard J. wrote:

It's just a book. Whether or not Edward or any of the characters is abusive shouldn't matter because none of these people are real. Try to remember this is all just a book and anyone taking life lessons from a book with sparkling vampires in it should be seen as the sad and silly person they are.

Ditto. We read fiction to escape from our mundane/ordinary/hectic lives and to be entertained for a little while. In the end, most of us know it's just a story and we leave it at that. Granted, there are those individuals who don't want to leave the fantasy world and they end up taking it to the extremes...
Quark

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:

It's just a book. Whether or not Edward or any of the characters is abusive shouldn't matter because none of these people are real. Try to remember this is all just a book and anyone taking life lessons from a book with sparkling vampires in it should be seen as the sad and silly person they are. (Rather like taking life lessons from a harem anime or any anime really. I enjoy the genre but I certainly don't expect any real girl to act like the girls in them.)

Oh, I fully realize it's just a book and has no real bearing on real life. But for me, a lot of the fun of fiction is getting the chance to discuss, or debate what I've read. And honestly, the creepiness of Edward, the blandness of Bella, and the complete ruining of Jacob starting in Eclipse is something I love to talk about, and make fun of, with my friends.
Anime fans have been having indepth discussions about series for a long time. This forum itself is full of debates about different series. To me, debating about whether or not Edward and Bella's relationship is unhealthy is no different.
I wouldn't doubt though that some girls might read those books and think the relationships in Twilight are ideal. But those girls are silly and sad, like you said, and need a dose a reality, quick.
RestLessone

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:24 pm Reply with quote
So, while I was at Barnes and Noble, I quickly flipped to the back of the book. Now, I could be wrong, and maybe there was a few-page long teaser at the back, but I noticed no ads. I just...I know it's not so much common practice to put it at the end of novels, but the manhwa/manga/graphic novel industry needs this sort of marketing. Even if the readers aren't used to more than a three page advertisement of a list of books or a page dedicated to "other books by this author", most of them are probably not familiar with how comics are set up, anyway. I guess reading the graphic novel alone could get people involved in comics, but the ads help pique peoples' interests! Several graphic novels could have been advertised.

Does anyone have any verification for this? I'm hoping I'm wrong.
LKK

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:54 pm Reply with quote
RestlessOne wrote:

Odd, I remember there being ads at the back of the book when I flipped through it Thursday night. I can't tell you what was advertised, but I do remember there being ads.
RestLessone

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:40 pm Reply with quote
LKK wrote:
RestlessOne wrote:

Odd, I remember there being ads at the back of the book when I flipped through it Thursday night. I can't tell you what was advertised, but I do remember there being ads.

That's good. Maybe it was just an excerpt at the back then? I was rushing through it a bit because the table it was on was right near a desk; didn't want to look like a leech, and there were no copies in the manga section. Or maybe the copy was just missing those pages. Does that mean that the ads were printed on that high quality paper, too? I can't remember the name for it, but it felt like the glossy stuff they use on color prints and manhua.

Any chance you'll be able to find out what the ads were for? If there was an extra, it was smart of them to put it after ads. It makes the reader go through them to get the rest. That is, unless the copy with misprinted of course.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8