• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Biglobe Poll: Most Anticipated Winter 2013 Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:00 pm Reply with quote
How can anyone anticipate cookie-cutter slice of life shows? If I wanted a slice of life, I'd go live one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:09 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
I don't think he's saying that its only okay to like otaku anime or anything. Just that the kinda shows that ANN generally seems to like the most are the more niche types of shows on other English speaking anime sites you go to. ANN seems to have an older audience that might be more used to the older shows from the 80s and 90s and don't like the direction anime has gone, while other sites have a younger audience who have more recently gotten into anime and like it for what it is now.

I do not see it like that. I do not think that only older anime fans are necessarily less opened to modern anime tropes. At least I do not think 80s and 90s anime was the best like many seem to think. Honestly, I think that modern anime is much better because there is something for everyone.

I cannot speak for all ANN users, but I will say that I visit this site because I have found people who share my desire to see more anime with great stories and characters and/or on the more artsy side. I do not think tastes in anime are necessarily related to what age group you belong to.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:59 pm Reply with quote
it's the season of sequals just AKB and Chihayafuru 2 for me I'll also probably watch more long running stuff like detective conan or maybe more backlog anime (which is just find for me. maybe hetalia as well after all it's not like it has a plot.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:38 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
I don't think he's saying that its only okay to like otaku anime or anything. Just that the kinda shows that ANN generally seems to like the most are the more niche types of shows on other English speaking anime sites you go to. ANN seems to have an older audience that might be more used to the older shows from the 80s and 90s and don't like the direction anime has gone, while other sites have a younger audience who have more recently gotten into anime and like it for what it is now.

...and how do you know this, exactly?

There are other people, like women, who post here too.

Otaku sites are really easy to spot due to their content. Otaku seem to think that if you are not "one of them" that you are not an anime fan. You have to like what they like. If not, they are incredibly hostile.

From my personal observations, even sites like the Fandom Post have these regulars who are on there 24/7, ready to dole out crap to anyone who doesn't conform to their thing. (I always wonder if they are NEETs, since they are always there) These guys (always guys) probably think that they are the majority of what anime fandom is, and that is because they live only in that microcosm. These sites are insulated communities. Even the site moderators (if they even have any) are part of that little insulated community, so anyone with a different or dissenting POV is pilloried and discouraged to express any opinion outside of what already exists in that microcosm.

One thing I learned when I was looking around for a place to discuss anime; otaku sites are not a comfortable place for women or newbies to go. I am very glad I found ANN. Things can get heated here, too, but at least everyone is fairly articulate, Many different points of view are openly expressed, contributors are a mix that includes females, and the moderators make an effort to enforce the rules fairly.

I haven't found this particular environment on any other fan sites, and believe me, I looked around.
Crispy45

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:26 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:

this is what I meant. I go to a ton of anime sites and this is the first one I've seen people bash and complain about the upcoming season and shows. I just found it funny >_> While Chihayafuru isnt bad it's not the first card game based show I'd go out to watch if I wanted to watch that kinda stuff. First time I see it at the top of a bunch of peoples list. Smile

tuxedocat wrote:
From my personal observations, even sites like the Fandom Post have these regulars who are on there 24/7, ready to dole out crap to anyone who doesn't conform to their thing. (I always wonder if they are NEETs, since they are always there) These guys (always guys) probably think that they are the majority of what anime fandom is, and that is because they live only in that microcosm. These sites are insulated communities. Even the site moderators (if they even have any) are part of that little insulated community, so anyone with a different or dissenting POV is pilloried and discouraged to express any opinion outside of what already exists in that microcosm.

One thing I learned when I was looking around for a place to discuss anime; otaku sites are not a comfortable place for women or newbies to go. I am very glad I found ANN. Things can get heated here, too, but at least everyone is fairly articulate, Many different points of view are openly expressed, contributors are a mix that includes females, and the moderators make an effort to enforce the rules fairly.

The comment on newbies might be true, but the one on girls is totally untrue. I see tons of girls on more otaku websites. Girls can be just as foul and crude as guys when it comes to lusting over their 2D guys and slash. They're even worse than guys when it becomes to it >_>
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Crispy45 wrote:
The comment on newbies might be true, but the one on girls is totally untrue. I see tons of girls on more otaku websites. Girls can be just as foul and crude as guys when it comes to lusting over their 2D guys and slash. They're even worse than guys when it becomes to it >_>

I've seen this on sites like the Crunchyroll forums. But those kind of places aren't really what I'm referring to. From what I've seen, Crunchyroll forums have lots of people posting, but no one really has discussions with anyone else. LOL Laughing

And I can tell you there are a lot of women fans who have formed their own private forums, usually because we are not interested in being crude as a defense mechanism.
j123ready

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai NEXT is the only series I will be following. btw, lolwtf Vividred Operation doesn't seem like anything out of this world good or even sound interesting... I like cute girls but i hate shows where there's no guy so no romance but there's also no yuri action for some reason. (<-- reason i couldn't sit down and watch Madoka no matter how much people loved it.) That angers me a lot Neutral
Crisha

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:24 pm Reply with quote
Chihayafuru 2!!! Very Happy I hope Crunchyroll picks it up also. This one I may actually watch weekly instead of waiting for it to finish and marathoning.

@Crispy45 - The reason I love Chihayafuru is because it's a really well-written adaption of a josei manga that hits all of the right emotional notes for me. I love the characters. I love learning about karuta. And the soundtrack is beautiful.

Nothing else really excites me for Winter 2013, but that's okay. There are still some good ongoing series. Maybe there'll be a surprise hit. Maoyū Maō Yūsha and Amnesia sound kinda interesting, but I'll probably wait to hear more about them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TitanXL

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:56 pm Reply with quote
wrote:
How can anyone anticipate cookie-cutter slice of life shows? If I wanted a slice of life, I'd go live one.

Why are Big Bang Theory and Two and a Half Men the most popular shows out there when if someone wanted a sitcom, they could just go live one?

tuxedocat wrote:
One thing I learned when I was looking around for a place to discuss anime; otaku sites are not a comfortable place for women or newbies to go.

To be fair, what do you mean by "newbies"? People who wish to expand their horizon or people who watch some TV dubs and insist they know everything about anime? If the latter, I could see why communities would ostracized them.

In the theme of otaku/casual tastes in communities, stuff like Madoka and Steins;Gate bring up an interesting point I've wondered about. Are they really 'hardcore' titles in the American fandom? In Japan, sure, but in the west saying you saw Madoka isn't some 'cool exclusive club', it's pretty mainstream and even people who only see anime via R1 releases know of them. Funimation pimps out Steins;Gate a lot so even the most casual R1 watcher has probably seen it if they follow Funimation's works. Meanwhile shows that are 'casual' in Japan like Pretty Cure and Detective Conan are fairly obscure to anyone who isn't into fansubs. The western fandom is in a funny position where the "otaku" stuff in Japan is extremely common in the American fandom while the "mainstream" Japanese stuff is more obscure. I'm willing to bet more Americans saw Steins;Gate and Madoka than Doraemon and Detective Conan. It seems like Naruto/Bleach/One Piece are the sole exceptions to this rule. Just a fun thing to think about when you see people talk about "niche otaku" anime.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:37 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Why are Big Bang Theory and Two and a Half Men the most popular shows out there

Bad taste?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
kazziyan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:54 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:

moe and echhi, shallow shows.

But that's what they are not, lol. Far from it.
dan9999

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:54 pm Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:

Thats because this site seems more formal, so like you said things get heated but most if not all maintain proper language and the like.

Go to MAL (myanimelist) for more "heated" and "bold" statements, many of the posters here lurk and post there as well. Laughing Plenty of females there btw, at least according to their profiles.

kazziyan wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:

Nope they are shallow, but of course not like moe fans like you will accept it. Or who knows, maybe you really believe they are not and are the modern Legend of Galactic Heroes or a modern Monster or a modern Cowboy bebop or Lain, K-ON would be like the evolution of the Macross series, you know for the music!

Of course it does not mean it should be always complex stuff, want simple stuff? There was plenty, recent examples: School Rumble, Angelic Layer, let go to the 80s with Kabocha wine, Urusei Yatsura, Cats Eye and a universe of examples.

So the shows you like are nothing but moe, everything its tailored to put emphasis on moe (character designs, art style, animation, story if any, etc), story? who cares. Character development? who cares. Execution/writing? who cares, lets have cute little girls be as moe as possible and do lots of cute things to make you die of cuteness!!!

Last edited by dan9999 on Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:24 pm Reply with quote
Well, even in the seasons some of the best shows premiered there were likely eight or nine shows that are forgettable at best.

Though some seasons seem more bare than others.
kazziyan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:43 pm Reply with quote
dan9999 wrote:

kazziyan wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:

Nope they are shallow, but of course not like moe fans like you will accept it. Or who knows, maybe you really believe they are not and are the modern Legend of Galactic Heroes or a modern Monster or a modern Cowboy bebop or Lain, K-ON would be like the evolution of the Macross series, you know for the music!

Of course it does not mean it should be always complex stuff, want simple stuff? There was plenty, recent examples: School Rumble, Angelic Layer, let go to the 80s with Kabocha wine, Urusei Yatsura, Cats Eye and a universe of examples.

So the shows you like are nothing but moe, everything its tailored to put emphasis on moe (character designs, art style, animation, story if any, etc), story? who cares. Character development? who cares. Execution/writing? who cares, lets have cute little girls be as moe as possible and do lots of cute things to make you die of cuteness!!!

Nope they aren't shallow. Have fun living in that bubble though and great judgement. Applaud you for dat open-mindedness as well.
Crispy45

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:02 am Reply with quote
dan9999 wrote:

You don't actually watch the shows you complain about do you....
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6