• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: One Piece Season 2 DVD Part 7

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Not quite bestselling manga of all time yet, but it will be.
Dimlos

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 12:29 am Reply with quote
Brice_Armstrong wrote:
stuff
Hey, I don't like OP either, but there's no need to act like that.
Quote:
I'd say this exclamation is one of the most biased and fanboyish ones in anime reviews history.. I'm just gonna join the many who quit reading ANN reviews cause of their sheer biasness, irrational statements and obvious preference of certain shows.
...they are opinions, dude. Of course there will be "obvious preference" if it's something the reviewer likes. How can a review even be "biased"? They're opinions, meaning they are completely subjective.
sogeking17

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 12:52 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:

It already is its sold over 176 million copies the only thing close to that is kochi kame with 135 million
MetatronM

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 11:04 pm Reply with quote
sogeking17 wrote:
Megiddo wrote:

It already is its sold over 176 million copies the only thing close to that is kochi kame with 135 million

I believe KochiKame was up over 150 million at last count, but otherwise this is correct.

One Piece is by far the best selling Jump title of all-time, which makes it, barring maybe something like Tetsuwan Atom which I've never seen reliable sales numbers for, pretty much the best selling manga in general of all time.

And the fun thing is that volume 58 is coming out soon which will probably add another couple million all by itself (I wouldn't be at all surprised if it manages to break volume 57's all time sales record), not to mention all the additional sales it'll tack on by boosting most of the previous volumes back onto the charts yet again.

Simply put, One Piece is a monster. And if you haven't seen it, the end of the Arabasta arc IS one of the best climaxes out there in anime, especially shounen anime. It could easily have stood alone as a series finale for most other series. I don't think there's another arc in One Piece (or any other shounen series that I can think of) with a climax quite as perfectly executed as episode 126 is.

Regardless, this particular DVD set is also the absolute worst one in the series, representing the single longest stretch of filler episodes in the series (13). You can grab the set before it and the set after it and skip over it entirely and be perfectly fine, since the ONLY canon thing that occurs in this box also occurs again at the start of the first episode of the next box set.

So really only completionists need concern themselves with this particular volume.

Last edited by MetatronM on Mon May 31, 2010 11:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 11:09 pm Reply with quote
Ah? I had thought that One Piece was the best selling manga in Japan but that the global sales of Dragon Ball were higher than the global sales of One Piece.

I guess I was mistaken.
MetatronM

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Ah? I had thought that One Piece was the best selling manga in Japan but that the global sales of Dragon Ball were higher than the global sales of One Piece.

I guess I was mistaken.

I don't think I've ever heard actual reliable global numbers on that. I've heard a lot of "I heard Dragonball sold 300 million!" numbers thrown around, but nobody seems to have a source on it.

Personally those numbers seem rather dubious to me. Not that I don't believe it's sold a whole hell of a lot and might even possibly still be number 1 globally, but I've been hearing that number for a LONG time with no support, even when DB's official total sales number in Japan has been updated multiple times in the interim. Plus it would mean that way more than half of its sales (especially a few years ago) would be coming from outside of Japan. I know DB is extremely popular worldwide, especially in Latin America, but that still sounds off to me.

That said, even if DB is number 1 globally, that gap must be shrinking drastically. One Piece is adding millions at a blistering pace, and its popularity is only GROWING in some of the biggest manga markets in the world (including, amazingly enough, Japan).
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 11:36 pm Reply with quote
Was this a great arc? Yeah. Is this a great enough arc to finish One Piece by? Only if Oda decided to cancel the series. Simply put their was no plot resolution, Luffy didn't become Pirate King, no one reached their goals and the only thing that was accomplished was the defeat of one man. How can you honestly say yhat Oda could have just quit? It woul be like if Watsuki quit Kenshin after the Kyoto arc.

Now I believe that when the actual final arc from One Piece comes out than I hope that Oda does indeed reach that plateu that final manga arcs like Jinchuu and the final arc of FMA (unless the final chapter is just completely bad) reside in.
Teufel

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:49 pm Reply with quote
This review is just as spot on as the one for the previous One Piece volume. Great job.

After the sheer epicness of Alabasta I'm not against things slowing down and taking a break. But the one off episodes focusing on a single character were just like the cooking contest with Sanji way back when - they offered nothing new about the character and weren't terribly entertaining.

It recovered nicely with the Red Mist story, though. The volume certainly turned out a lot better than I expected when people farther along than me warned me this one would be filler.
Ranma87

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:09 pm Reply with quote
Personally I liked this set, I can't complain.
Kalessin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:10 am Reply with quote
My biggest complaint about the dubbed songs is that you can't buy them (preferably at full length). I'd buy them in a heartbeat if they did - though I'd probably still buy the Japanese ones as well. Overall, I think that Funimation does a fine job when it redubs songs, though I'm not about to suggest that it's something that they should do in general. There are plenty of songs which would probably be fairly hard for them to get to sound anywhere near as good as the original (the kind of songs that you'd get in a show like Fullmetal Alchemist, any Gundam show (though Funimation obviously doesn't get those), or Darker than Black would probably be good examples of songs that I doubt would take redubbing very well - the more rock-like ones I guess), but they've generally done a good job with the ones that they've done.

I don't see much point in complaining about them redubbing songs - particularly when they've most frequently done it with shows which are more likely to be aimed at a younger audience which probably won't take to subs very well. I don't think that they've redubbed many songs for more adult-oriented titles.

Regardless, both the English and Japanese songs are available on the DVDs, so you have your pick, though you may have to switch tracks if you want the Japanese songs with the English dub. I just wish that they'd release the songs as well as actually give credit for the singers. While I can generally figure out who's who for the characters, their singing voices are frequently so different that I'm not able to figure out who's singing what. There are a few exceptions - like Vic Mignogna, Caitlin Glass, and Brina Palencia - but many of the singers are unrecognizable. Probably the one who pops up the most is Meredith McCoy and she doesn't sound anything like any character that she's ever voiced when she's singing.

In any case, enough about dub songs. It's disappointing to hear that these episodes aren't as good, but it's not terribly surprising. Fortunately, it's pretty much a guarantee that they'll improve though. One Piece certainly does a better job than most shounen shows at having a well-done and compelling story rather than relying entirely on the fighting (though its fights are definitely good as well).
Ranma87

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Personally I like it when companies make an effort to re-record the original song, it shows they are putting effort into the release and not just trying to meet status quo.
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:44 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I just ordered Voyages 6 and 7 to get caught up, and I am a completionist, because this stretch of filler (particularly the Goat Island episodes) put me off so much that I actually stopped watching for a couple months. In retrospect, I couldn't believe it was only three episodes. But after this, we've got the Skypiea arc, G8, Davy Back, Water 7, then Enies Lobby. That's as far as I've gotten, and I can't wait for Funi to get caught up to that point, and beyond. I've been amazingly pleased with their work on both the script dub and the dubbed songs. Keep the awesomeness coming, please. Very Happy
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:27 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
It's preety something that Funi was able to get VA that can sing preety well.

Not really.
On the one hand, how many actors do we see that have a band on the side?
In particular, it's always seemed to me dubbing anime sort of lends itself to those more musically inclined, maybe because there is a certain tone to it all. It's not unusual for me to forget to read subtitles while I'm listening to the Japanese track because of the cadence of the voices complimenting one another so well & we do also get some of that on the English side.

brice hates OP with a passion. I loved DB, but DBZ wears thin in spots. OP does a fair job sustaining the carefree attitude of DB. In DBZ the humor became small respites in the serious tone of the action, while OP manages a nice mix of serious & humor. I lean toward humor, (because we have enough serious stuff in the world) so OP is right up my alley. It seems to have a lot of fans.
My 2/7 just arrived Monday so I haven't cracked it open. I actually started Rave Master which TP claimed in an e-mail was not going to be sold after 5/31 so I went for it since I really like the West Coast VA's involved. Thus I probably won't be checking out what everyone's talking about until the weekend.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2