• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Anime Economics 101

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:08 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:

What's wrong with those dubs? I didn't notice anything too terrible. The video was horrendous, but that's it.

I think it depends on what you thought of the ADV dub of the series, which personally I feel doesn't hold up at all.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
PBsallad

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:22 pm Reply with quote
ptj_tsubasa wrote:
If we would be talking about the japanese releases, the mangaka usually gets a 10% slice of the price of every sold tankobon.

But yeah, not that it matters when we're talking about licensed releases.

I've heard that a mangaka will get 20% per manga sale in the US. But as Brian said it depends on contract to contract.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Most of the money you pay for that manga volume or DVD goes towards covering those costs, with a small, trifling amount of that $9.99 per manga volume or $29.99 per DVD heading slowly back to Japan, being meted out in licensing fees and such to the Japanese rights-holder before being dispersed in even smaller quantities back to the artists who originally made the thing in the first place.

Yeah, the residuals are probably even worse over there for their own products. I've said it before, but the Japanese production companies really need to get a bigger cut out of that pie, because they're really getting screwed by the middle-men.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Why are people complaining about the summer season? From what I've heard, Shiki is good, Occult Academy is a surprising success. That's a couple decent shows. That seems about average for a summer season.
agila61

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:20 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Why are people complaining about the summer season? From what I've heard, Shiki is good, Occult Academy is a surprising success. That's a couple decent shows. That seems about average for a summer season.

I dunno ...Summer 2006 had FLAG, Welcome to the NHK, Innocent Venus and Project Blue Chikyuu SOS. A couple of decent shows and a couple of great shows.

I'm probably still in Durarara withdrawal ... Durarara on Friday, Giant Killing on Sunday and various catalog titles I caught up on was enough to keep me happy last season.
LordByronius
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 3:21 am Reply with quote
Showsni wrote:
Quote:
Funimation is just as happy to have it around simply as a means of advertisement for their DVDs.

Um, if the advertising gains are negligible and the main goal of streaming is simply to raise awareness of the show in the hope of future DVD sales, then wouldn't the pirate sites actually be a massive help to Funimation et al? You seem to be saying on the one hand that Funi streaming a show leads to more DVD sales leads to profit, whereas on the other hand pirate site A streaming it leads to people not wanting to buy the DVDs leads to loss... Surely which particular website someone watched a stream at wouldn't affect whether they went on to buy the DVDs or not?

i think it helps that they're watching it on a site that says "funimation.com" and all around the video box are big banners that say "FUNIMATION" and a little tag at the beginning and end of each video that also says "FUNIMATION"

as well as the little bug in the corner of the video that says "FUNIMATION" too

just sayin'
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Shorty22

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:54 am Reply with quote
Well, what about option 3 - release it sub-only? I think it's pretty established that subs are cheaper than dubs. Just throwing that idea out there.

Or is sub-only not really something Funimation does? In which case, I retract my comment...
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:52 am Reply with quote
The love for Hellsing's English dub never ceases to amaze me, since as much as I think Crispin Freeman is a great actor he in no way remotely comes close to Jouji Nakata. It... doesn't match. At all. The difference is so huge, I can't stand it. Whatever its other merits, that fact alone killed the English dub for me in 5 seconds. :shudder:

But then again, I don't really care much about whether the dub is good or not... and I'd be the first to step up and say the subtitling on Geneon's release of Hellsing was a joke. Arucard? Switching from Integral to Integra randomly? *sigh* I'd say I just can't win, except that I've found every adaptation of Hellsing to be somewhat disappointing and at this point consider the franchise overrated. The manga has an anticlimactic ending (after an otherwise pretty awesome final act), the first anime has lots of plot threads that go nowhere (awesome score, though), and the second anime adaptation extends the "humorous" (read: obnoxiously unfunny) bits of the manga out to multiple-minute long stretches of agony.

/rant

Otherwise, interesting post as always. I have to say I'm disappointed by the summer season, especially compared to last season, where House of Five Leaves and especially Tatami Galaxy were so good, with the ending of Durarara!! and the start of Giant Killing to round it out, plus Heroman was initially pretty fun even if the charm wore off eventually. This season...? Well, I really like Occult Academy, and Shiki shows promise, but otherwise?

Unfortunately I can't answer the other half of the question since the only movie I've seen so far is Iron Man 2. I plan to see Inception soon and Toy Story 3 once it shows up at a theater without 3D (I don't feel like paying extra for it). And I'm hoping Scott Pilgrim vs The World is as awesome and faithful to the spirit of the comic book as the trailers make it out to be. I never expect much in terms of quality from summer movies, save from Pixar. Otherwise, wait until they cram the award-bait at the end of the year.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 3:58 pm Reply with quote
I have this to say on the matter, vashfanatic: your views on the Hellsing dub, which you deem to constitute a rant when expressed, are far more forgiving than mine. Because the show's premise warrants a dub, my general dislike of the existing English-language track effectively extinguishes any interest I held in the franchise.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
v1cious

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:25 pm Reply with quote
That little girl is awesome. Her Pirates of the Caribbean is way better: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-Gztizq_4U&feature=related
Xanas

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:07 pm Reply with quote
"Anime Economics" as it stands now is tied directly to government interventions in the market and would be far better off in a free market system.

Copyright law establishes monopolies on distribution and encourages sale of licenses to buyers to gain the right to release internationally.

In a free market system bit-torrent and fansubs are no less legitimate as a means of distribution than anything else. Distributors who want to continue having something to distribute (for advertising revenue or direct sales of physical media) have every reason to support those creating what they want to distribute.

This could be done in multiple ways, and because especially in the anime community consumers have a strong interest in seeing support to the animators I think we'd see a lot of distributors using something like what Kinsella talks about in this article: http://blog.mises.org/13286/the-creator-endorsed-mark-as-an-alternative-to-copyright/

Those who want dubs could easily see a secondary dub market that would function in a similar manner, not tied in any way to licensing of the original media. Dubs could be produced through a variety of third party entrepreneurs who are interested in anime and spreading interest.

Unfortunately, as of late Japan has shown itself going more in the direction of draconian anti-downloading laws and attempts to prosecute people through use of encrypted peer to peer technology. They can only ensure that this technology becomes better, while producing all of the wrong incentives.

Rather than encouraging consumers to support what they like these systems cause people to resent both publishers and distributors. Those who support copyright (in a real "inalienable" sense, despite the nonsensical arguments that entails) should continue by their own arguments to buy things just as they do now, and those who do not, will lose any argument they have against the current system when it is decentralized.

Additionally, strong tactics should be used against those who would lie and say they support creators when they do not. Authors/publishers could produce websites authenticating who actually pays them so that consumers can verify they are truly supporting authors as they intend.

This entire system would be relatively inexpensive, reduce costs associated with lawyers on the part of industry and lost productivity on the part of those currently jailed due to the draconian copyright laws, etc. The only lawsuits necessary are those between buyers and the merchants who defrauded them by saying they supported creators when they didn't, and perhaps some additional 3rd party auditors that would establish credibility for distributors.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:13 pm Reply with quote
LordByronius wrote:
i think it helps that they're watching it on a site that says "funimation.com" and all around the video box are big banners that say "FUNIMATION" and a little tag at the beginning and end of each video that also says "FUNIMATION"

as well as the little bug in the corner of the video that says "FUNIMATION" too

just sayin'

Not really following your reasoning here. What does knowing of the distributor's name matter?
Xanas

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:22 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:

Not really following your reasoning here. What does knowing of the distributor's name matter?

Knowing the distributors name matters so that you know who to buy anime from in order to get the show you are watching.

Of course, the problem is you can't necessarily purchase it right then and there, which limits the benefit for those shows streamed before being available for purchase.
agila61

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Xanas wrote:
Of course, the problem is you can't necessarily purchase it right then and there, which limits the benefit for those shows streamed before being available for purchase.

If its a licensed series, and you have a credit card with adequate balance, you can definitely click the "buy series" link when its done streaming and buy it right then and there.

Can't do that on a leech streaming site.
The Xenos

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Funny there's a question about original creators and animators getting cut out of the profits. I was just talking about an article with friends that says Lucasfilm is telling David Prowse, Darth Vader himself, that Return of the Jedi technically (by their numbers) never made a profit and they can't pay him any more money.
http://www.filmbuffonline.com/FBOLNewsreel/wordpress/2009/04/06/return-of-the-jedi-has-yet-to-make-profit/
Wow.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4