• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Wall Street Journal Reports on Manga Piracy

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
agila61

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
For all we know, back then, people wanted to pay for manga, not rip it off. Understand that scanlations were supposedly HELPING businesses like TOKYOPOP chose titles to license.

Only in the sense that when guys from the marketing department who didn't read Japanese suggested a title, it would of course have to be a scanlation of an unlicensed work ... because they don't read Japanese.

But there is a tendency to convert that piece of information into a myth of publishers using the popularity of scanlations of unlicensed work to decide which works to license, as reported in the article:
Quote:
The reporter, Tomomichi Amano, also spoke with the administrators of a scanlation website, who spoke anonymously and offered that for a little while, publishers were happy to use scanlations as "a 'free' way for a publisher to see what was viable to license and bring over."
There's no evidence that ever happened, and more recently strong popularity of bootlegs of an unlicensed series has been reported to be a strike against picking up the title.

The WSJ article seems to frame this as industry versus "scanlation sites", but of course the industry group is in reality going after manga viewing site hosts, not after scanlators of unlicensed work.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7