• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime News Nina! 2010-08-03

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:10 am Reply with quote
Anime World Order wrote:
What's telling about the strip is which characters object to what.

Dang it! See, I knew I should have completed my post rather than eat lunch. Here I had a link to the strip and the panel 4 all targeted and then you come along and ruin everything!
Anime cry

I do have to say I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed this. Panel 4 caught my attention immediately. It was a beautiful way to slip in a personal opinion, if that's the panel's intent.

Welcome back Mrs... Mrs... Butterworth. Hey, best guess I can muster this early in the day.
Razz
Crisha

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:12 am Reply with quote
I lol'ed.

Actually, what I find just as amusing is that the three friends ended up watching something equally as cliched and craptastic. Oh, yes, I went there. BUUUUUUURN.

In fact, I thought this was going to end up being a satirical piece, where at the end they end up watching an anime that is just as bad. While it wasn't explicitly stated, I do still consider it slightly tongue-in-cheek.

Okay, I'll stop.

Quote:
What's telling about the strip is which characters object to what. Neither Nina nor Kevin has any objections whatsoever to the first movie. The second movie--which is clearly the best and I just bought my ticket--is opposed by both girls. We assume they all object to the final choice, and so they decide to watch anime instead.

As a girl, I'm going to have to agree with you AWO. Out of all four choices provided in the comic, I'd select the same. More than just selecting the lesser of four evils, I would genuinely go see it if I was invited with a bunch of people.

Oh, and if the size of the car is telling of the length of the schlong, then what does that say for the actors in "The Italian Job" - with the BMW Mini Coopers? Laughing

Also, "the hammer is my penis".
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dorian

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:22 am Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Welcome back Robin, I hope the time off was relaxing and non stressful. Great comic as always though.

She got married. How stressful can that be?
Taco-chan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:06 pm Reply with quote
That was hilarious and so true! That is exactly how I feel about watching anime and movies. It isn't that we only accept anime and we are against everything else, it's just sometimes everything else is truly crap. I only watch a few TV shows like on USA network and TBS because everything else does not appeal to me. Movies are terrible these days. I usually stick with watching old movies on TCM. Besides that, most anime is more entertaining to me.
Jadress

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the well-wishes, guys, but I actually haven't gotten married quite yet. Embarassed That would be in mid-September. The hiatus was just to help me prepare for the wedding.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Dorian wrote:
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Welcome back Robin, I hope the time off was relaxing and non stressful. Great comic as always though.

She got married. How stressful can that be?

Oh believe me, it's not nearly as easy as it sounds. Ask any wedding planner and they will tell you that it is a ton of work and requires a ton of planning.

I would know, I've had to help a friend with his wedding before and the amount of work he had to put in is quite exhausting.

Though I do have a feeling you are being sarcastic so I am not going to bother going into details.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Now that's what I missed about Nina - people exhaustively overanalyzing and arguing about a comic strip for pages and pages at a time!
Cheesecracker

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Now that's what I missed about Nina - people exhaustively overanalyzing and arguing about a comic strip for pages and pages at a time!

HA HA

You been done got 'Zac attacked'

Very Happy
Hardgear

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Cheesecracker wrote:
Quote:

HA HA

You been done got 'Zac attacked'

Very Happy

Now that's what I missed about Nina - People exhaustively overanalyzing and arguing about a comic strip for pages and pages at a time, AND the 'Zac attacks' Laughing
Cheesecracker

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Are the 'Man-guns' coming out of his biceps? It might have been unintended but it makes for a really weird(looking) double meaning.

And his 'car'

um...small, red and goes so fast that he always arrives first.
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:18 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
The funny part is next week's box office looks exactly like this comic (Eat Pray Love, The Expendables), sans the period piece (poor scott...).

Yeah, definitely looking like some excellently bad cinema coming out this month.
meruru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Dorian wrote:
writerpatrick wrote:
Splitter wrote:
Is Legend of the White Minority based off a fairly anime-ish cartoon series?

^_~

The Hollywood tradition of white people playing orientals goes back decades. It was extremely prevalent during the 40s. A classic example is the various Fu Manchu impersonations. There was a documentary about run on PBS's American Masters series last year called Hollywood Chinese.

A few examples out of many:

John Wayne as Genghis Khan in The Conqueror (1956)

Swedish actor Warner Oland as Charlie Chan in 16 movies (1931-37) and American Sidney Toler, primarily Scottish decent, in 11 more movies through 1942.

Yeah, John Wayne as Genghis Khan... One of many reasons The Conqueror is considered one of the worst Hollywood movies ever made.

I add to the list Marlon Brando as an Okinawan man in Teahouse of the August Moon (a movie which also shows a very Japanese Okinawa >.<)
Katherine Hepburn as a Chinese woman in Dragon Seed.
Mickey Rooney as a Japanese man in Breakfast at Tiffany's.
Quark

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:02 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised no one mentioned the Sex in the City 2 bit. 'Chocoholic purse' cracked me up.
It just kills me that this is the kind of crap that they're peddling towards women, and the worst part is, so many of them eat it up with a spoon and come back for more. Oh, and then champion it as an example of modern feminism. 'Cause there's nothing better than finding a man, blowing $800 dollars on a pair of shoes, and having meaningless conversations about men and shoes with ones bestest gal pals, amiright?
Uh...anyway, here's hoping that the wedding planning is going smoothly, and fairly stress-free, Robin. Good luck!
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:45 pm Reply with quote
And then there's Tom Cruise in The Last Samurai, but then again, that might not count as he was never trying to hide his race nor should Tom Cruise ever be taken seriously.

willag wrote:
Oh, and if the size of the car is telling of the length of the schlong, then what does that say for the actors in "The Italian Job" - with the BMW Mini Coopers? Laughing

Don't you remember that rule? The size of a man's car is inversely proportional to the size of his bratwurst. Those guys in The Italian Job must have been very confident people.
tanuki-sensei

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:24 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
willag wrote:

Don't you remember that rule? The size of a man's car is inversely proportional to the size of his bratwurst. Those guys in The Italian Job must have been very confident people.

Or as Sir Michael Caine put it, "It's not the size mate, it's how you use it."
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4