• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - X Hits the Spot

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZakuAce

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:48 pm Reply with quote
I tried watching Hetalia subbed and dubbed and couldn't even finish the first episode. It wasn't funny and I couldn't keep up with the subtitles with everyone talking over each other.
RestLessone

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Speaking of racism, are there any African countries in the show or the comic besides Egypt? Or any Middle Eastern countries?

In the show, no. In the comic, Seychelles has been around for a bit but only recently made a real debut. She is the main character in the upcoming video game, Gakuen Hetalia...Cameroon was added in a commemorative sketch for FIFA 2010, and has since made some appearances in a limited edition booklet. Then there are these random African nations from Himaruya's early concept for the video game, but on one knows if they'll be included in the final. I think Himaruya might of mentioned that more African and Middle Eastern countries haven't been included because he doesn't know too much about their history. In any case, the manga volumes contain lots of redrawn strips from the original webcomic, so it's not like we're getting tons of new content.

I actually don't watch Hetalia for the "fujoshi" content. I just find it cute. Though I do prefer to the original...DEEN can be bad with animation, especially how they changed Germania's design to look like Germany with long hair. (They got rid of the braid!)

On the subject of South Korea: Some strips actually were fairly offensive, even by non-dub Hetalia standards. Other strips weren't bad at all. The controversial strips have been removed from Himeruya's site, though, and never returned. The character itself seems to have been cut from the comic, though I don't think that's the right way to go about it.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:17 pm Reply with quote
You know, I try not to be critical of this column because way too many people are, for extremely stupid reasons, but...

...what was with this column? You tell us to buy a series the second half of which you think is bad? You tell us to watch a series you found boring to the point of distraction?? What the hell?!? None of your summaries made any sense with your level of recommendations.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but if a series had a disappointing second half, I'd dump it into rental or even perishable; endings make or break a series for me. (Personally, I actually like the ending of X, though I'll agree it isn't as good as part 1.)

And if you're having trouble making distinctions in the gray area between "stream worthy" and "flushable," come up with a third category. Don't be bound to the exact same formula as Bamboo.

Man, this week's column just confused me. Maybe the con left you off your game?

EDIT:
Idea -- how about have "stream worthy" be the equivalent of "rental" and "subscription worthy" (i.e. it would be worth paying for, even if it might not be at a subscription site) as your "shelf worthy" parallel?

Last edited by vashfanatic on Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:24 pm Reply with quote
+2 for Hardgear for beating me to the punch regarding Twitter users. Use the points wisely. They boost opponent(s) experience points and temporarily boosts strength.

Erin wrote:
But for now you're stuck with me.

Stuck? Is this how you feel about the relationship we readers have with you, that we're "stuck" with you?

I know it probably wasn't really fun reading the comments of the last SL praising Bamboo's return. It was her column, after all, so there's just something special about seeing the owner and column unite again.

Something I feel you haven't done yet. Every column you write, I get the feeling you're holding back. You write a premise readying a "one-two" punch only to deliver a love tap across the cheek.

Take this Hetalia piece, for example. I get the feeling you want to unload on this series so bad, you'd make enemies of anyone who had any hand in its delivery to the world and you wouldn't care.

Here are some examples:
Quote:
If you happen to be Italian, I'm interested to know what you think of this show.

Wait. What do you feel about this all-too-common stereotype?

Quote:
My complaints pale in comparison...

Hold up. You had complaints before writing this statement? I missed them, hence why I feel you're holding back.

This is your column, Erin. It doesn't belong to Bamboo anymore. While her presence will always be appreciated, it's because she made this column hers.

I'm still waiting for you to make it yours. There's just something missing between you, the readers, and your opinions and I can't quite put my finger on what it is.

However, there's a hint in the "stuck with me" comment. I just know it.
agila61

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:29 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Maybe I'm in the minority, but if a series had a disappointing second half, I'd dump it into rental or even perishable; endings make or break a series for me. (Personally, I actually like the ending of X, though I'll agree it isn't as good as part 1.)

Ah. sometimes the journey's the thing (one of the innovations in Monty Python's Flying Circus from the early 70's was just chopping a skit and not dragging it on out for a punch line) ... but if in general only the first half is shelf worthy, then that sounds awfully rental to me.

Quote:
And if you're having trouble making distinctions in the gray area between "stream worthy" and "slushable," come up with a third category. Don't be bound to the exact same formula as Bamboo.

Yeah, one category for "adequate, or good, or great" is confusing, Stream Worthy, Pastime, and Flushable would make more sense.
rabrek

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:32 pm Reply with quote
My copy of the House of Five Leaves OST arrived last week. I found I enjoyed it more in the context of the series, but it may wear better with repeated listenings (which I'm diligently working in). I like the shamisen/accordion contrast, for sure.

Quote:
Like many fans, I watched the X movie a long time ago. It was incredibly boring and hard to follow, maybe because I hadn't read the manga.

Nope. I had the manga under my belt when I watched the movie, and it didn't help. I haven't seen many positive reports on the movie, but they're out there. (cough)Don't believe them.(/cough)

Quote:
but Sora, who has the Osakan accent, just sounds weird in the dub

I abandoned the dub track because of Sora. He trumped Crispin Freeman big time, unfortunately.
RadicaLElly

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
World War II-era America shouldn't be eating fast food and complaining about “The Axis of Evil” – those are contemporary jokes (fast food took off after WWII and Bush Junior coined the "Axis of Evil" in 2002).

Despite what Wikipedia says, I'm pretty sure Bush Jr. didn't invent that phrase. I recall hearing it long before 2002. I think he just popularized it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:48 pm Reply with quote
RadicaLElly wrote:
Quote:
World War II-era America shouldn't be eating fast food and complaining about “The Axis of Evil” – those are contemporary jokes (fast food took off after WWII and Bush Junior coined the "Axis of Evil" in 2002).

Despite what Wikipedia says, I'm pretty sure Bush Jr. didn't invent that phrase. I recall hearing it long before 2002. I think he just popularized it.

Well, that and the Germany/Italy/Japan triumvirate in WW2 were called the "Axis Powers."

I watched the first mini episode in Japanese and in English, and wow were they different in terms of dialogue. Not quite Crayon Shin-chan levels of difference, but they changed the script a lot. Oh, and all the English voice actors sounded more or less the same except for the awful accents, which made listening to big group scenes confusing. Not that the Japanese cast was outstanding, but I could at least tell the voices apart. So yeah, count me in the "not a Hetalia fan" crowd. It's... okay.
RadicaLElly

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:57 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
I watched the first mini episode in Japanese and in English, and wow were they different in terms of dialogue. Not quite Crayon Shin-chan levels of difference, but they changed the script a lot. Oh, and all the English voice actors sounded more or less the same except for the awful accents, which made listening to big group scenes confusing. Not that the Japanese cast was outstanding, but I could at least tell the voices apart. So yeah, count me in the "not a Hetalia fan" crowd. It's... okay.

If you're referring to the World Conference scene in the first episode, it's not any easier to understand subtitled, lol. I usually have to convince people I'm trying to introduce it to to keep watching past the first episode, which I hate doing because I usually have the "if they can't get it right in the first episode, why should I want to sit around and wait for it get good?" mentality.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
John Casey

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Aaaaand...typically, people are much more interested in senseless shitstorms and pissing on each other over animu. =.=
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:15 pm Reply with quote
John Casey wrote:
Alright, so I'll break the combo and move away from this current Hetalia shitstorm: =.= Haven't we already once seen this shelf collection?

This is like the second repeat...

Have we? It's my fault, not Erin's. I still handle the Shelf Obsession pictures. I have a system for not double-posting such things, but it's not flawless, esp. since sometimes people re-submit their emails. Unfortunately, I've seen so many of these shelves, that it's difficult for me to tell them all apart.
Lady Multi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:17 pm Reply with quote
The X TV series is much better than the movie... It does fall apart because only half of is adapted from the manga because that's as far as the story went... Even then, they changed parts...

Meanwhile, 7 years after the X manga hiatus we still don't know how it truly ends. ...maybe when they're done with Kobato and xxxHolic.....I hope so anyway.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:23 pm Reply with quote
I'm quite happy to see House of Five Leaves get some more exposure, it's certainly not for everyone (or most fans probably, you have to love character development to death to love the show) but it's something worth trying anyway. And I'll have to disagree with everyone who found the five minute episodes of Hetalia less than pleasing, the full length episodes of Azumanga Diaoh bored me to pieces so it was nice to have five minutes of Hetalia a week (since even at that rate they seemed to burn through a lot of the strips) instead of a full half hour of slapstick and strange humor. Wonder how I'll watch it when I get the DVDs, to marathon or not to marathon.
kazenoyume

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:52 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure the Axis of Evil line is not in the original, actually. That's creative subbing.

But Hetalia is definitely anachronistic at times, which is I think, for a series of this gag level, perfectly fine.

Nonetheless, I do take offense to the idea amongst some commenters that it's just interesting to fujoshi or whatnot. I was actually out of anime fandom for years, and had never really been interested in any male/male pairings, before I started reading Hetalia on a whim. I think it's funny, I love the historical tidbits and cultural jokes, and I adore the characters.
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:53 pm Reply with quote
RestlessOne wrote:
Quote:
Speaking of racism, are there any African countries in the show or the comic besides Egypt? Or any Middle Eastern countries?

In the show, no. In the comic, Seychelles has been around for a bit but only recently made a real debut. She is the main character in the upcoming video game, Gakuen Hetalia...

Yeah, I saw some of their designs on a Hetalia wiki, but I don't know about game-only content. Does that count?

I think the end theme song lyrics seem irresponsible in the face of half of the world's countries totally missing from the show.

kyokun703 wrote:
belvadeer wrote:
House of Five Leaves: Funny, I think the art style confused me with an older anime that was done in the same way. Which one was that again?

Are you talking about Ristorante Paradiso? That came out a few years ago and was set in modern day Italy, but it's the same manga-ka.

Although I never got around to mentioning it in my review, the art style reminded me a little of Requiem from the Darkness, which is definitely worth checking out if you've never seen it.

PetrifiedJello wrote:
There's just something missing between you, the readers, and your opinions and I can't quite put my finger on what it is.

However, there's a hint in the "stuck with me" comment. I just know it.

If there is some missing thing, I don't know what it is on a conscious level. I promise it's not some kind of conspiracy. If you figure it out, let me know.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7