• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bookstores Struggle, Blockbuster Nears Bankruptcy

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Manic_Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Border's is the only place I can sit down, pick up a good manga to read, and get a cup of Seattle's Best Coffee so its sad that they are struggling.

Never really cared for Barnes and Nobles.

And as far as I'm concerned after selling me a used game that looked like it was put though a cheese grater to only bitch when I returned it Blockbuster can rot for all I care. I feel bad for those who will be axed though.
Collectonian

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:27 pm Reply with quote
I have a Netflix account, but I still rent DVDs from in-store. However, I always rent from Hastings, versus our local Blockbusters, because Hastings just plain out has better rental rates and the don't rent as many trashed DVDs (and if one doesn't play, they fairly replace for the same amount of time).

I buy most of my books online, but I do enjoy browsing the bookstores to find new stuff. I have a B&N membership, it works for me. They usually have a coupon out at any given moment to get another 10-15% off the 10% member rate, which makes it competitive with most online manga sellers, and I can get a frapp while I shop. Razz My only minor complaint with B&N is that they do 20-30% off most "new" books, except for manga.
mlisette23

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
jenthehen wrote:
I love Borders ... I don't understand why Barnes and Noble always beats the crap out of them? Why?? Borders rewards is FREE and their coupons are plenty and amazing ... Barnes and Noble has a pay card and you hardly save any money by being a member. I support Borders!!!

The B&N Member's card depends on how you use it. If you're buying only in store then you'd have to buy a bunch of new releases or ton of regular releases for it to start saving you money (BTW, the card can be shared by anyone living in your household). However, if you use it online it'll pay for itself in a couple purchases just in the free shipping alone, plus the extra online discount AND bonus coupons that range from an additional 15%-40% on top of the discount price. I'm more than happy to pay the membership fee when it starts saving me money so quickly.

Emerje

As of April 30th members no longer get the 10% off online, now they get free express shipping.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:44 pm Reply with quote
scchan wrote:
Did I forget to remind you there are more TV channels, gadzillian of websites to browse nowadays? (Sarcasm)

But it's still 300 channels with nothing on them.
Reading & tv are 2 different things. There is usually far more in the book than can be in the tv show/movie.
A gazillion websites aren't the same as reading a well-written story which sets one's head on edge or speaks to one's soul. When an author turns a phrase that can be stuck in one's head for DECADES vs a wesite where you won't be able to find this thread in 6 months unless you dig for it-how can there be any comparison? I still love CardCaptor Sakura after a decade. I still love Saberhagen's Dracula novels & Brust's To Reign in Hell. I couldn't tell you half the websites I've passed over in the last year outside the regular dozen I visit.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Sheleigha wrote:
The problem I think with Borders/Barnes, is it's two businesses struggling, not to mention, having a competitor... I'm sure they wouldn't be doing AS bad if there was a merge... It's how most companies have ended up surviving in the past couple years.

Hmm. That's an interesting idea.

I would hardly be against it, as I consider Borders my second home and have purchased 80% of all my books from them over the years, and Barnes & Noble is a fine chain in it's own right.

I couldn't stand it if they went away. I don't have a lot of disposable income atm, but I'm trying to buy as much from them as I can to support the industry and the bookstores I love.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:51 pm Reply with quote
LIVE, BORDERS! YOU'RE THE ONLY PLACE I CAN GET MY YAOI MANGA FROM WITHOUT HAVING TO SPECIAL ORDER IT!
Emerje

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:04 pm Reply with quote
mlisette23 wrote:
As of April 30th members no longer get the 10% off online, now they get free express shipping.

I probably wasn't clear, the discount I was talking about was the online discount that's always in place and is often better than the in-store 10% (looking at my wishlist several new titles are 32% off). But the point I was trying to make was the Members coupons in addition to that discount which can take more than 50% off the list price. That plus the free shipping is why I never buy in-store anymore, the only reason I ever go there now is to kill time waiting for a movie to start next door. Also, if I bought online without the membership I would lose whatever I saved to the shipping cost so it really does save money that way.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:14 pm Reply with quote
I kinda suspected that, even with the recent monopolistic deal in which Suck-Asster got certain studio titles before Netflix, it'd still take a hit from people who'd just wait for those titles when they were available. Here's an idea. Stop charging more than my local store per disc for certain films. Rolling Eyes
Anime Remix

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I love Borders ... I don't understand why Barnes and Noble always beats the crap out of them? Why?? Borders rewards is FREE and their coupons are plenty and amazing ... Barnes and Noble has a pay card and you hardly save any money by being a member. I support Borders!!!
Yeah!!! I support Borders also!!!!

Then again, me and the Borders worker had a weird time... Anime smile + sweatdrop

Me - I'll like to buy this manga! (Case Closed Vol. 29).

Borders Worker - Hmm! Did you see the coupon?

Me - No...

Borders Worker - *shows the coupon and stats whispering* Say Yes...

Me - What?

Borders Worker - Say...Yes...O_O

Me - YES!!!

Borders Worker - There we go! Seems like you get a discount on this book! The total is $6 & something cents!

Me - YAY! Anime exclamation *starts handing over the money to pay for the book*

Borders Worker - Now, You WILL be paying extra money to support the kids who are poor, right? Very Happy

Me - No...

Borders Worker - WHAT?! If you do, your total will go right back to the original cost of this book! You will also be helping poor kids in need!

Me - Yeah... I really don't want to... *grab book and starts walking away*.

Borders Worker - Have a nice day! Smile

Me - You too! Smile
Finny-chan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:21 pm Reply with quote
meh don't really go to Block Buster anyways since the last time I went was last year in the Fall I think. As for Borders and Barns and Nobel how are people like us without credit cards supposed to buy manga when they both go down cause most online websites only have credit card options and no money order or check options well at least the websites I saw anyways.
Anime Remix

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Anyways, I support Borders more. Borders and Barnes&Nobel are both on the other side of town. I really don't get to go over there that much (unless I'm going to the mall with my mom). Even at the mall, Borders is next door to it, so, instead of crossing the street, walking straight down until I get to Barnes&Nobel, I could just walk outside the mall and go to Borders! Anime exclamation

Also, I just used my birthday money on Manga at Borders and spent $40+. I'm glad to know I help out by buying Manga from Borders. Crying or Very sad
Farix

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Nearest Borders/Waldenbooks: roughly 30 miles.
Nearest Barns and Noble: roughly 80 miles according to their store locator. (in Christiansburg, VA)

I sure hope that Borders will pull through. Because they are quite literally the only bookstore in town.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:12 pm Reply with quote
scchan wrote:
Border's price cannot match Amazon. I often find myself in a dilemma to buy from the local Border's store with the friendly folks that works there vs. the cheaper Amazon. The choice is hard when your landlord and insurance companies try to raise my cost.

Yeah, this is my dilemma as well. I'd love to support local stores. I prefer shopping in person. However, I can't possibly justify it given the difference in price. Especially with the ridiculously inflated Canadian prices I consistently can save at least 30% by shopping online.

As for Blockbusters, I feel for their employees but otherwise I could care less. I haven't rented a movie since I got on Zip (the Canadian netflix) and even if I wanted to, I'd rather go to Rogers.
glitteringloke

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:13 pm Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
LIVE, BORDERS! YOU'RE THE ONLY PLACE I CAN GET MY YAOI MANGA FROM WITHOUT HAVING TO SPECIAL ORDER IT!

At least in my area, also true! i have NEVER seen a Blu or June' title on their shelves.

and when the borders that's so close to me i could walk to it doesn't have something, i go to the borders express in the mall and usually find it there Very Happy and they have such yummy coupons. nom nom nom.

B&N is equally close, but, it's just not as good IMO. i don't like having to pay for a club card (suncoast used to do that, and it was only good because i was buying $35 anime dvds at the time).

all but one of the blockbusters in my area have been gone for quite a while. of course i never did rent movies much. I heard (from someone that tried it) their online service was horrible and a scam.
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:25 pm Reply with quote
The news of Borders isn't that hurtful to me. I know that for most manga fans Borders is the store to go to, but not for me. I would love to have a large borders near my house but the nearest one for me is a small out-let store in the middle of a strip mall (ironically it's right next to a Blockbuster). But I have a feeling that they'll be able to pull through, I think if they play it smart and cut back a bit they'll weather through this. I think their problem is simply the fact that they expanded beyond their financial capabilities. If they cut back and wait for the economic environment to become more book friendly I think they'll be back.

Personally Barns and Nobel is my book store of choice, simply because they a large store with in minutes away from my house. Though I really wish they would take a note from Borders and expand their manga selection a bit. But for now they work fine. Plus the one near my house has a great selection of indie music on sale so it's great to pick up music there.

And the news about Blockbuster is... not surprising at all. Honestly I saw this coming a long time ago. Basically once Nexflix and Gamefly started to take off it was the beginning of the end for them. Blockbuster just couldn't compete with their insanely large selection and their affordability. Plus there's no late fees, and you don't have to go anywhere to pick the dvds or games up. And now Netflixs has the watch instantly thing taking off like a rocket.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6