• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Perfect Blue/Paprika Director Satoshi Kon Passes Away

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fawfulhasfury

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:04 pm Reply with quote
He was my favorite director from Japan. He was the Japanese Hitchcock. I am so blown away I don't even know what to say; the man was extraordinary. His visions, his skill, it was all just-

It's crushed my whole month, possibly my whole year to hear this. Sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
ShindoW

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Like most here have said, I thought this was a joke when I read it and I was floored, I'm in tears now... I loved all of Satoshi's works... they were inspiring and different and during a time where anime hit a point of being stale like it is once again, it was something to hold onto... This is just devastating.
MeggieMay

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:13 pm Reply with quote
I had a "wt... wow Sad " moment when I read this at work earlier today. Very sudden and unexpected and profoundly sad. There isn't much more I can add to this at this point, other than to extend my condolences to any friends or family that might be reading.
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:23 pm Reply with quote
I seriously cried over this. He was one of my favorite director and the first I attached myself to.

I will always remember when I met him in DC when they showed Tokyo Godfathers and the premiere of Paprika. He was pleasant and signed stuff for people even though he didn't have to. He was called to leave so I didn't get anything I signed. We were both walking the same way and he stopped and held out his hand. I offered mine to shake his and the most fangirlish of noises escaped my mouth. "Da!" I exclaimed and he chuckled and gave me a bow to which smiled and did the same.

I will always remember that time and also regret saying "Da!"
Letthemeatraep

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Absolutely horrible news. The man was one of an ever dwindling number of true talents working within the industry today. I've seen every work he has produced and there wasn't a bad offering amongst them. I'm going to console myself with a bed time viewing of Paprika now I think. Gutted.

Heartfelt condolences to his family. He will seriously be missed.
The Xenos

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:58 pm Reply with quote
I went to look at the IMDB page for his upcoming The Dreaming Machine to see if there was a release date. What's the first comment / thread on the page? "Kon is the future of Anime" I had to scream a bit in horror. It just focused my own feelings about him leading the future of anime and film... making his passing all the more bitter.
v1cious

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:14 pm Reply with quote
I am devastated by this. He was my favorite anime director ever Crying or Very sad... I guess now great men like Masaaki Yuasa can carry the torch.
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:19 pm Reply with quote
he died at 47. It wasn't his time. I'm sad that such a good anime director like Satoshi Kon passed away. I'm very sad, the anime fandom has lost a great anime director like him.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Truly truly shocked and saddened. I just recently watched Paprika, and then watched it again because I was so amazed by it. He was truly one of the greats.

The man will live on in my memories as long as I still love anime, likewise with the legions of other fans of his.
Sima Yi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:31 pm Reply with quote
I was never a big fan of his mind screw themed movies, but I certainly acknowledge that he was very talented. As with the premature death of any human being, this a is a great loss. Rest in peace, Mr. Kon. Sad
VMars

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:34 pm Reply with quote
I read the headline on another site, and I avoided reading the article for as long as I could. I just can't believe it; it hasn't sunk in yet. Obviously I didn't know him, but he made some incredible films. His talent will be missed.

R.I.P.
My thoughts are with his family and friends.
BubblegumPaint

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:34 pm Reply with quote
Oh no he was such an amazing director. I own all the major films he did and I always enjoy rewatching them. It makes me sad there wont be anymore memorable films from him. He was way too young to die. I send my heartfelt condolences to his family.
Quark

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:42 pm Reply with quote
No...this is really, really sad news. He was such a talented person, and it's a huge shock to have this happen so suddenly. R.I.P, Mr. Kon. You will surely be missed.
DieHardBleachFan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Oh my...Oh wow.... I'm shocked and saddened to read this. I'm a huge fan of his work. Paprika is one of my favorite movies of all-time. This is so sad... RIP sir, you will be missed.
ZZalapski

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:54 pm Reply with quote
His talent was evident in his works, whether you liked them or not. I did, and it's really, really unfortunate that I (or anyone else) will not be able to enjoy his stuff beyond what we have already.

Forty-seven is way too young to go. This sucks.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 15 of 19