• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Bakuman. (TV) (all seasons).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vanfanel

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Episode 23

spoiler[Possibly the bravest thing in this episode is its rather merciless depiction of otaku, and I loved the way things turned out. Take that, 2chan! You are not the mainstream and there are not nearly enough of you to sway a TV poll against Azuki simply out of spite.]

Enjoyed this one too. I've enjoyed this season a whole lot, actually -- it's basically my only must-watch anime of the week right now. Still, I'd agree that season 2 (where I started watching) was even better.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:56 pm Reply with quote
It was really fun watching spoiler[Mashiro's] reactions to everyone's approval of spoiler[Miho & him].
Everything was going their way until that spoiler[public voice actress auditions.]
That complicated things, but was also cruel of the animation guys to do something like that.
It felt like universe was against them again...
The whole situation just put more pressure on spoiler[Miho and Mashiro].
OMG! Finally! Finally their dreams are coming true. Can't wait for those two to get married!
drdr48

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Again, the parts I (REALLY) don't like are the parts involving Azuki and her incredibly, incredibly dumb, sexist story.
CrisGer A.A.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:38 pm Reply with quote
Sadly i moved this series way down my list to just above trash. I was really enjoying it and appreciated it a lot until they lost their way with all the stupid Shoen fighting between the main manga artists..it was boring beyond belief who was first..and i think the entire system of the poll is corrupt beyond belief..how in the heck can they judge the quality of a manga by its success? that is a lousy way to make editorial decisions.

As for the main long separated couple, i gave up interest in them long ago, it was totally stupid of them to be so shy that they could not even speak to each other when sitting next to each other in class. I know the shy thing is cute to a degree but this was just dumb. In the end, they risked their entire series on a story twist that they just didn't maintain and now who cares.

As for what happened to Aoi and that horrible creep they forced her into the arms of, that made me just sick to my stomach. Sadly this series is a flop, when it could have been a classic.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Oh god, it's just as awful as I remembered it. I liked the competition between the authors and how their rivalry pushed them to improve, come up with better stories, cooler designs and whatnot -hence the End of Crow arc is my favorite- but when it moves to
"I'll sell more volumes than you!!"
"No, I'll sell MORE volumes!!"
"Me + 1 forever!!!"
"Me + infinite forever + 1!!!"
it totally lost all appeal

As for the marriage plot, I seriously can't digest it. Those two can't even have a proper conversation on the phone without awkwardly stuttering or not knowing what to say, and they plan to get married? It's preposterous to say the least.

Alas, it was fun while it lasted (read: before it became stupidly focused on the MashiroxAzuki plot). I'll still miss this show as I miss the manga, but I do wonder if they'll spend 24 minutes next week with Mashiro x Azuki (spoiler[the last manga chapter was something like that... horrendously boring]) I hope at least we get to see a snippet of the REVERSI anime
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Miho deserves a big hug and clap for her spoiler[win in the latest episode. Bravo Smile]

And do I have to say that the other girls put up a good competition. That took some serious practice, skill, and determination.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Episode 24

spoiler[Those two were totally in a daze.
It was about time for their dreams to come true.
They worked so hard for all of it.
Hattori was pretty fired up this time!
Reversi's build up to the grand finale had everyone itching for more.
It got pretty much everyone fired up.
Finally!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They surpassed Niizuma!]

And this is why I love Bakuman!
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:50 pm Reply with quote
You know, I have the suspicion that the whole fight about ending Reversi early is actually a thinly-veiled message. It seems to me like this is the Mangaka telling his readership how he regretted giving into his editors and extending Death Note past the point at which it obviously needed to stop. Anyone else agree?
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:46 pm Reply with quote
I have to agree with you that the last 2/5 of the manga is not as good.

no, if Death Note stop when spoiler[L Died and Light become the ruler of the new world] that's even worst. Unless you mean L and Light would take out eachother. that's another story.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Death Note should have ended with spoiler[Light's victory over L.] A downer ending, but one that would have made sense given the rivalry and the world that had been constructed. The final arc is obviously tacked on and clearly inferior, with the writing quality taking a sizeable hit. spoiler[Near and Mello are nothing compared to L.]
danilo07

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:51 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
You know, I have the suspicion that the whole fight about ending Reversi early is actually a thinly-veiled message. It seems to me like this is the Mangaka telling his readership how he regretted giving into his editors and extending Death Note past the point at which it obviously needed to stop. Anyone else agree?

The rumor that Death Note was created to only last half as long existed a long time ago (as you can see in this review http://www.salon.com/2007/07/26/death_note/ )This definitely seems like a confirmation for it.However I would say that spoiler[L would be the one to defeat the Light].
CrowLia

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:00 am Reply with quote
^ That would actually make sense, since Ohba himself has commented that spoiler[killing L was a last minute decision and that he was very upset by it]
kpk

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:09 am Reply with quote
I agree but I still loved the ending of Death Note. I thought it made up for the inferior second half of the series.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:07 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
Those two can't even have a proper conversation on the phone without awkwardly stuttering or not knowing what to say, and they plan to get married? It's preposterous to say the least.

An old Japanese lady now in her 80's -- a friend of a friend -- told this story recently: when she was about 19, the farmer next door came over to talk to her parents. His son had seen her washing laundry at the riverside, and thought she looked strong. He'd decided she'd be a great help to him in his farm work, and wanted to marry her. She'd never spoken with him. She didn't know him. She didn't want to go through with it, but in those days you did what your family told you.

She ended the story saying this: "I never regretted marrying that man for even a single day."

How she came to love him...what kind of challenges they faced...I have no idea. This is just one anecdote, I know, but it did demonstrate to me that this kind of thing isn't 100% doomed to failure.

The situation in Bakuman is highly unusual, but in Moritaka and Azuki's defense, they do come from a country with a loooooong tradition of arranged marriages that even now hasn't entirely disappeared. From that perspective, knowing someone well beforehand -- or even knowing them at all -- is not as important as having the commitment, patience, and dedication to make a marriage work.

Commitment, patience, and dedication are qualities both Moritaka and Azuki have exhibited in spades as they've built their individual careers, working to make this admittedly stupid dream of theirs come true. I wouldn't do what they're doing, and I wouldn't recommend it, but I don't assume such people would be doomed as couple. They'd just have to work hard at it like everyone else who has ever had a successful marriage. Shujin and Kaya don't really get it either, but I do like how they're supportive of their friends anyway.

On another subject, my favorite moment from episode 24:

spoiler[The look on Niizuma's face when he read the last page of Reversi. Wonderful visualization of that wonderful feeling when something you're reading comes to an awesome finale.]
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Episode 25 Final

spoiler[After 3 seasons the end is finally here.
It was a really good anime with a fair amount of drama and excitement.
Flashbacks were a nice reminder of how it was in the beginning.
Three seasons we were waiting for their dreams to come true.
Now that it has finally happened, it's kinda surreal because I can't imagine it's over.
It was nice they let us see some part of the their Reversi anime.
Watching Azuki and Mashiro being awkward together was so sweet.]

Nice final episode!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 12 of 13