• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
African American anime writers?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
2Rude

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:21 am Reply with quote
Hi guys.
As you can probably tell, I'm new to the forum, but I'm a long time ANN lurker (if that's even a word Anime hyper). Anyway, I've just recently been asking myself this question, and this seems to be the most fitting forum to ask so if I'm posting this in the wrong forum, I apologize.

But have there been any African American anime writers/creators? or any race for that matter who have wrote/created real anime inside or outside of Japan?
I know Aaron McGruder is one, but I hardly find Boondocks to be considered a real anime. So have there been any who have wrote and/or created one?
And if I'm coming off as rude or arrogant to some, again I apologize, for I'm not intending to offend anyone and I'm hoping it's not a touchy subject. But I've done some searching and I still have yet to find anything reliable, and I'm just curious to know if there have been African American anime writers or any writers outside of Japan. My reason for asking is that I'm new to screenwriting and whatnot, and along the road assuming that I make it, I'd like to create my own (what anime fan doesn't though? LOL).

So if you guys could enlighten me, I'd be very grateful. But thanks in advance. Anime catgrin
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:58 am Reply with quote
2Rude wrote:
Hi guys.
As you can probably tell, I'm new to the forum, but I'm a long time ANN lurker (if that's even a word Anime hyper). Anyway, I've just recently been asking myself this question, and this seems to be the most fitting forum to ask so if I'm posting this in the wrong forum, I apologize.

But have there been any African American anime writers/creators? or any race for that matter who have wrote/created real anime inside or outside of Japan?
I know Aaron McGruder is one, but I hardly find Boondocks to be considered a real anime. So have there been any who have wrote and/or created one?
And if I'm coming off as rude or arrogant to some, again I apologize, for I'm not intending to offend anyone and I'm hoping it's not a touchy subject. But I've done some searching and I still have yet to find anything reliable, and I'm just curious to know if there have been African American anime writers or any writers outside of Japan. My reason for asking is that I'm new to screenwriting and whatnot, and along the road assuming that I make it, I'd like to create my own (what anime fan doesn't though? LOL).

So if you guys could enlighten me, I'd be very grateful. But thanks in advance. Anime catgrin
I am by no means an expert (my exposure to anthropology is limited); but I believe that if you define Japanese anime as cartoons that are produced in Japan (and also, given the Japanese culture's attitude toward gaijin), then I believe that I'm safe in saying that an African-American anime (Japanese) writer is an oxymoron. I don't believe that Japanese culture would approve of such a thing (I've heard stories of how blacks on Japanese subways are treated, and they -- the stories -- would be comical if they weren't so irritating).
2Rude

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:11 am Reply with quote
nbahn wrote:
I am by no means an expert (my exposure to anthropology is limited); but I believe that if you define Japanese anime as cartoons that are produced in Japan (and also, given the Japanese culture's attitude toward gaijin), then I believe that I'm safe in saying that an African-American anime (Japanese) writer is an oxymoron. I don't believe that Japanese culture would approve of such a thing (I've heard stories of how blacks on Japanese subways are treated, and they -- the stories -- would be comical if they weren't so irritating).

I hear that. Yes I meant Japanese produced anime. A much better way of saying it by the way.
And I suppose it would be an oxymoron, which is why I somewhat stirred a little more toward Americans in general. But if what you say is true (I'm not assuming that it is) then that's pretty awful. I'd hope that's not the case.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:35 am Reply with quote
Before this discussion goes any farther and gets into semantics, let's be clear here.

Anime, as the term is understood in most countries outside of Japan, specifically refers to Japanese-created and produced animation. Thus, from any viewpoint outside of a Japanese one, there is no such thing as African-American anime or anime writers/creators. There could be African-American creators/writers for anime-styled animation, but not for anime.

And there should be no need for an argument on this, or to get into the whole "oh, but the Japanese call all animation 'anime'" business.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
einhorn303

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:16 am Reply with quote
Not so many writers, probably. But if you pay close attention to the credits of anime, you will often see people with non-Japanese names, usually as animators or in-betweeners.

Of course, 96% of the time they're Korean, Vietnamese, or Chinese. But you also see names of an unknown Foreign background. "Arthell Isolm." "Thomas Bell." "Aimee B."

Though it's impossible to tell if someone's African American from just a name. But still, I wouldn't say it's impossible.
2Rude

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Good point. I was hoping to hear about a few American Writers that would stand out rather than just a name. But thanks for telling me.

Key wrote:
Before this discussion goes any farther and gets into semantics, let's be clear here.

Anime, as the term is understood in most countries outside of Japan, specifically refers to Japanese-created and produced animation. Thus, from any viewpoint outside of a Japanese one, there is no such thing as African-American anime or anime writers/creators. There could be African-American creators/writers for anime-styled animation, but not for anime.

And there should be no need for an argument on this, or to get into the whole "oh, but the Japanese call all animation 'anime'" business.

I understand. I never asked about African American anime. I just wanted to know if there were any writers or creators of that background or any other Americans who have created Japanese produced animes.

But with that brought up, let me ask this. What other Animes have been produced in America/Canada that have actually been... good? (I could do research on that, but I'd like some opinions if possible)

Again, thank you guys who were kind enough to post and share the knowledge a bit. I appreciate it.
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:21 pm Reply with quote
2Rude wrote:

But with that brought up, let me ask this. What other Animes have been produced in America/Canada that have actually been... good? (I could do research on that, but I'd like some opinions if possible)

I feel we still have a disconnect on terminology. By the definition usual here, if it was produced in America/Canada, it isn't anime. Are you asking about animation in general?, i.e., are there any American/Canadian cartoons that we think are good? If so, I would vote for some of the classic Warner Brothers shorts as Rabbit of Seville and What's Opera, Doc?, but they don't much resemble modern Japanese animation.
ponlork

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Is Afro Samurai considered anime? Sure it was funded by SpikeTV and it premiered in the US before it was dubbed for Japan, but it was animated by renowned anime Studio Gonzo and has a ANN Encyclopedia entry on it. Plus it originated as a Doujin Manga in Japan first. Well if you consider Afro Samurai anime then look up the writing credits, Derek Draper and Chris Yoo are obviously Non-Japanese. So if there's ever been a Gaijin writer in Japan who ever wrote for Manga or Anime, then I don't see why it's beyond the realm of possibility for an African American writer in Japan, do you? Racism exist everywhere whether you're in America or Japan. Though I personally didn't witness any impoliteness or disrespect on the subways or buses while I was there but I dunno.

Samuel L Jackson is probably the closest you'll get. He's actually a big anime and manga fan and he's currently writing a comic called Cold Space for BOOM! alongside writer/producer Eric Calderon who also worked on Afro Samurai.
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Isn't Felipe Smith black? Like half Jamaican or something. He's an American born manga artist in Japan working on the series MBQ I believe. Granted that's manga but I'm guessing your looking in general if possible. And I forget the name but in the podcast Zac and Justin interviewed another American immigrant. He isn't a manga artist or Anime artist but he's heavily involved with the industry in general in terms of analysis and business. I believe he is also Africian American.

And I think people just have to accept that while technically "Anime" is a japanese word for cartoon, outside of Japan the word "Anime" has its own meaning where it refers to the animation style. Is it accurate? Not really but that's the sentiment behind it and how words and meanings change over the years.
einhorn303

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:02 pm Reply with quote
TatsuGero23 wrote:
Isn't Felipe Smith black? Like half Jamaican or something. He's an American born manga artist in Japan working on the series MBQ I believe. Granted that's manga but I'm guessing your looking in general if possible. And I forget the name but in the podcast Zac and Justin interviewed another American immigrant. He isn't a manga artist or Anime artist but he's heavily involved with the industry in general in terms of analysis and business. I believe he is also Africian American.

I was gonna say that, but then though, "Felipe, eh? Probably just Latino..." Though I have no idea myself.

Anyways, writing for manga is really a lot more glamorous than writing for anime. Since with manga a single person has more creative control.
John Casey

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:05 pm Reply with quote
ponlork raises a pretty good point. The whole development process with Afro Samurai definitely blurs the whole argument of what is anime, what isn't, and who's involved.

The source material and animation staff are Japanese... Yet the funding and production, music production, and creative development is all American.

The more we see of stuff like Afro Samurai, the less we'll know the meaning of the word "anime."

Anyways, back to topic. Since I go back to the whole creative development thing, I guess Samuel L. Jackson is the closest you'll get to an african-american anime "writer."
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:23 pm Reply with quote
2Rude wrote:

Haha well a black person isn't called "African American outside of America so no. But I'm just joking. To seriously answer that question: I don't think there has every been a black anime writer.

Though there have been a few writers of anime that weren't Japanese. There's the Wachowski brothers (of Matrix fame) who I think wrote all the parts to the Animatrix OVA.

There's also Michael Arias who worked on The Animatrix as well. But he also went on to produce Mind Game and direct Tekkonkinkreet.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
poilk92

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:05 pm Reply with quote
First of all not all black people are African American thats just silly if there were and black anime writers they would probably be considered African-Japanese Confused . That being said Japan is not a very diverse country and even among immigrants to Japan black people are probably low on the list so just because of logistics I sincerely doubt there are any
ponlork

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:13 pm Reply with quote
poilk92 wrote:
First of all not all black people are African American thats just silly if there were and black anime writers they would probably be considered African-Japanese Confused . That being said Japan is not a very diverse country and even among immigrants to Japan black people are probably low on the list so just because of logistics I sincerely doubt there are any

So if a Black writer from America gets called up to Japan and is asked to come on a work visa to help write some material for a anime would he be considered African-Japanese?

If we can have a Black African American Hip Hop Enka Singer that is Jero (Enka is real old school Traditional Japanese style Music BTW), then anythings possible. It's kinda like people who say Utada Hikaru isn't really Jpop because she's American or BoA & Crystal Kay ain't Jpop because they're Korean but if they're doing Japanese music, singing in Japanese and is popular in Japan then no matter how you put it they're Jpop. Keep in mind there are many instances where U.S. service members get stationed in Japan and are accompanied by family members so their kids might get raised in Japan and become fully immersed into the culture where they might inspire to pursue a career in Japanese entertainment. I don't see why it's beyond reason to think that they can't crack into the anime industry. If we can have a Black president then we can have a Black anime writer! Chuuch! Preach! Tabernacle!
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:26 am Reply with quote
poilk92 wrote:
That being said Japan is not a very diverse country and even among immigrants to Japan black people are probably low on the list so just because of logistics I sincerely doubt there are any

That's a good point, Japan is many things, but divers is not one of them. According to the CIA report in 2010 it said that Japan's ethnic groups broke down into 98.5% Japanese, .5% Korean, .4% Chinese, and .6% other. So with only .6% coming from a nation that is presumably outside of East Asia that doesn't leave much room for a booming black community.

Also if your wondering why the CIA has a report of Japanese population don't worry. They just do yearly reports of every nation in the world breaking down random trivial information about them and they post it on the CIA public website.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2