• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Teen Arrested After Doodling 'Weapons' in Notebook

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
configspace

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:30 am Reply with quote
TheCrushinator wrote:
This is ridiculous. There is no mention of any threat or possession of anything illegal. Violating a kid's civil rights for drawing a doodle is inhuman. Someone needs to be fired and prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

Except they are probably following "the law". In fact, were we to apply the law to the fullest extent, we could literally charge everyone with 3 felonies a day
Weazul-chan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:30 am Reply with quote
TheCrushinator wrote:
This is ridiculous. There is no mention of any threat or possession of anything illegal. Violating a kid's civil rights for drawing a doodle is inhuman. Someone needs to be fired and prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.
really. it was a doodle. the kid wasn't drawing diagrams of how to make bombs and crap, kids doodle. heck, if there's really nothing more solid than what they indicate they have this would almost be like me getting the same kind of treatment in high school for writing a poem where I metaphorically referred to the verbal abuse some fellow students gave me regularly as "knife thrusts" and the like.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:57 am Reply with quote
How is this related to anime?
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:00 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
I used to draw guns and bombs all the time when I was a kid. Bloody, firey carnage.

I, uh, did get sent to the counselor frequently. But hey, look how well I turned out!

so that explains it.... oh i kid lawl

sadly this is going to keep happening because of stress/fear of what just happened at sandy elementary school. I really can't sum up what this in 400 words so just watch this documentary instead,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujuDvwSOFto

TsukasaElkKite wrote:
How is this related to anime?

well there is hints that he was drawing an anime character with burning gloves but that's all just bs until actually proven.

Last edited by Cecilthedarkknight_234 on Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
JackCox

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:21 am Reply with quote
This is ridiculous for all you know the kid was probably bored in class, I admit i drew swords a few times when I was in school but It was just because they looked cool not because I wanted to kill anyone.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:25 am Reply with quote
Sorry, but this is beyond ridiculous. Who doesn't doodle all over their notebooks? And yes, I am defending the kid. The police had NO freaking ground to send him to juvie just because he liked to deconstruct-reconstruct (LEGO anyone?) or because he had chemicals in his house (Quoting from Fight Club "with the right amount of soap, you can blow anything up"). This level of paranoia makes me wonder if Psycho-Pass is such a stretch from what the future could be like.

I don't even have words to describe how furious I am and how outrageous I find this whole thing. It's a whole lot easier for that kid to turn into a real criminal now that they've sent him to juvie aka criminal school. Bravo!
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:34 am Reply with quote
Nobody can really tell who's gonna be a shooter or not. It could be any of you here as far as I'm concerned. The police targeting these individuals would not lead to anything helpful.
E-Master

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:08 am Reply with quote
I too admit that I have drew weapons at school, but when I was forbidden by my own parents to do so at one point I just altered the weapons into something that isn't lethal looking or something you rarely see being used as a weapon. I never did got expelled or arrested for just drawing weapons.
s.alsa-man1991

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:27 am Reply with quote
Hey, you know who else enjoyed dissecting radios and other appliances? Half the people that work for NASA. And they have rocket fuel at their disposal! They need to be stopped, people!

Also, doodling people who shoot fire from their hands is basically what every comic book artist did in high school. But then again, they never amount to anything, do they?
mgosdin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:50 am Reply with quote
To quote a famous authority figure, "A riot is an ungly thing... undt, I tink, that it is chust about time ve had vun. "

Tar, Feathers, Rail Out of Town. Time to stop this foolishness.

Mark Gosdin
egoist

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:07 am Reply with quote
Now put this in a theatre and you have one of the best comedy plays.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:50 am Reply with quote
I can only imagine something like this will make him more resentful in the future, doing far more harm than good. He'll be distrustful of law enforcement and the entire legal system for wronging him so early on.
Furudanuki

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:54 am Reply with quote
Fortunately Kyoto Animation is not located in the United States of Overreaction, or their most recent anime would have been a public service announcement about how the Dark Flame Master and the Keeper of the Tyrant's Eye never had a chance to fall in love because they were sent to juvenile detention for suspicions of thoughtcrime. The line between dutiful caution and blind hysteria is not a fine one at all but it seems people have become adept at leaping over it.

And I agree 100% with Morgan Freeman's statement.
Ryu Shoji

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:13 am Reply with quote
Guys, when I was at school I had a massive 4-page long doodle in my RE folder of stick men wearing hats at war with stick men not wearing hats. This included stick men being stabbed, blown up and ran over with tanks.

I am obviously a menace to society, so lock me away forever! The real criminals in this world can run loose, but this young man and his stick men is too much of a danger!

Seriously though...what the fudge?
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:15 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Nobody can really tell who's gonna be a shooter or not. It could be any of you here as far as I'm concerned. The police targeting these individuals would not lead to anything helpful.

I guess people didn't learn anything from Salem Witch trial, nor from past persecutions (like people blame comic book, rap music, books, and other things). Great video game take the blame, and now I'm afraid anime/manga will become the next scapegoat (giving anime haters a reason to become the next Jack Thompson).

Also Enurtsol, anybody can be a school shooters, even a policeman that had a psychotic breakdown can end up shooting up a school. I like how the media blame video game for school shooting. But when it's a older person commit a school shooting they don't blame video game at all, like this one for example. The shooter wasn't some dude in his 20's, he was in his late 30's, why no blame on video game.

I wonder what video game did Charles Whitman played when he committed biggest massacre in the mid 60's, or what about Andrew Kehoe? What video game did he play before he did the Bath School Massacre. Very Happy Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6