• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 1st Live-Action Gantz Film's U.S. Theaters Listed

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HayateTokidoki

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:56 pm Reply with quote
Wow. I was really excited to see the theater I go to all the time on the list and was really excited. Then I saw that it's going to be dubbed. Who the crap made that decision? Anime dazed

Guess I'll be waiting for a DVD/Blu-ray release.
moans

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:07 am Reply with quote
KAZUNARI Ninomiya. Not Kazuya.
agila61

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:19 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Weiss_Yohji wrote:
Only one screening in Delaware, and it's in Wilmington? Do they not even know or care that there's a southern part of Delaware, too? Throw Slower Lower Delaware a bone here!

People don't even know there's a Delaware! Laughing
(Or simply that 5-minute span on I-95.)
{facepalm} and here I always thought that was a PC company marketing campaign ... Dell-Aware. But google maps confirms that its an actual state.

Bizarrely, there's a showing within biking distance of here, at Hudson, OH. But with this weather, I better order my icebike tires now.
Weazul-chan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:14 am Reply with quote
I'm impressed enough that it's actually airing at one of the only two theaters where I live I'll probably go see it... altho I'll be surprised if there's much competition for choice seating there. at least unless fans from some of the nearby cities don't flock in, since this appears to be close enough to some cities with higher anime/manga fan counts than some of the other cities in this state it's also airing at they may decide to see it here in my town than drive a little further to see it at a good sized theater in a bigger city... which could mean crowding... better bring my wheelchair then so I get a good spot.
Weiss_Yohji

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:03 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Weiss_Yohji wrote:
Only one screening in Delaware, and it's in Wilmington? Do they not even know or care that there's a southern part of Delaware, too? Throw Slower Lower Delaware a bone here!

People don't even know there's a Delaware! Laughing
(Or simply that 5-minute span on I-95.)

How can they not know that? We've got a whole assload of big corporations incorporated here and host two NASCAR races a year! (Check your next credit card billing statement's return address; chances are the sender is based here.)
Mikuru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:33 am Reply with quote
As much as I love Gantz, I'm REALLY wary of live-action adaptations of anime/manga/video games. I was already reluctant to see it and now knowing it is dubbed in English...looks like a no for me. Unless of course, it turns out to be a great dub...but, I doubt it. I wish they could of done half dub/ half sub or whatever.
labantnet

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:51 am Reply with quote
sokpupet wrote:
Columbia Mall 8 KENNEWICK WA

Going. I don't care if it's dubbed in English. I want to show my support for this kind of thing so the theaters here will bring more like films here.

All the weeaboos need to read this. If you want to get more of this with more control, you have to support what we do get.
Hardgear

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:40 am Reply with quote
labantnet wrote:
sokpupet wrote:
Columbia Mall 8 KENNEWICK WA

Going. I don't care if it's dubbed in English. I want to show my support for this kind of thing so the theaters here will bring more like films here.

All the weeaboos need to read this. If you want to get more of this with more control, you have to support what we do get.

Amen

I am going because for me this is ALSO the first time something like this has come to a theater near me. Who knows, if they get enough people here seeing Gantz, maybe they will do advance screenings of anime movies like Redline here in the future as well. SOOOO many of them I have wanted to go support, but I am NOT driving/flying across half the country to see a movie.
CaptainAvatar

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:25 am Reply with quote
I will continue to support these as I have for other anime-related Fathom showings even with a bad English dub-over since I want to see more of this (Yamato, anyone? Please!?!). Now if it got released on DVD/Blu-Ray in a dub-only version ala the Kurokami Blu-Ray I would avoid that.
GordanHam

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:10 pm Reply with quote
Mikuru wrote:
As much as I love Gantz, I'm REALLY wary of live-action adaptations of anime/manga/video games. I was already reluctant to see it and now knowing it is dubbed in English...looks like a no for me. Unless of course, it turns out to be a great dub...but, I doubt it. I wish they could of done half dub/ half sub or whatever.

I know where you are coming from about the whole adaption thing, but i am pretty sure it will be worthy. For those who didn't by the Gantz dvd's, there was an interview with the creato and he was VERY, VERY enthuseastic to try and get Gantz made into a live action movie and was asking if it happeded if he could be the director. Even though he is not the director, i am pretty sure that since this project actually came to fruition he heavily supervised it. I don't think you have to worry about it being a poor adaption of the manga.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:03 pm Reply with quote
Woohoo! AMC Desert Ridge here I come!!! I'll probably have some drinks at Dave & Busters before the moooovie!

CaptainAvatar wrote:
Now if it got released on DVD/Blu-Ray in a dub-only version ala the Kurokami Blu-Ray I would avoid that.

Ya know, I also avoided the North American Kurokami Blu-ray release for a bit, but it isn't half bad. Really nice dub cast. The single prices are cheap too! Check it out!
CaptainAvatar

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:45 am Reply with quote
luffypirate85 wrote:
Woohoo! AMC Desert Ridge here I come!!! I'll probably have some drinks at Dave & Busters before the moooovie!

CaptainAvatar wrote:
Now if it got released on DVD/Blu-Ray in a dub-only version ala the Kurokami Blu-Ray I would avoid that.

Ya know, I also avoided the North American Kurokami Blu-ray release for a bit, but it isn't half bad. Really nice dub cast. The single prices are cheap too! Check it out!

I'm sorry, but even with a good dub (since I am a dub fan) I just can't support a decision I am so vehemently opposed to. It is a ridiculous decision to buy a Blu-Ray without the full languages available. I won't do it for DVD releases, and even moreso for Blu-Ray. this is why I avoided the original Gundam, and am happily awaiting the newly announce bilingual release they have announced.
population_tire

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Dub doesn't bother me.
It's the lips looking strange that'll bother me.

Also, do we see Kishimoto's front side?
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:05 am Reply with quote
population_tire wrote:
Dub doesn't bother me.
It's the lips looking strange that'll bother me.

Then some of the original-voiced anime would bother you.
Japanese don't care as much about lip-synching.
You'll notice it when you look for it. Laughing
Mizuneko2

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:39 am Reply with quote
HOLYF&%KINGSH*T! I expected hardly any screenings in NC, let alone a few blocks away from my house! Nice!

Edit: dub, smub. i really don't care if it's dubbed by chickens or subtitled in sign language. i'm just happy we're getting the film the same year (heck-- nearly a week earlier) as Japan.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2