• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ghost in the Shell Arise Anime to Launch in 2013

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:07 am Reply with quote
ZeetherKID77 wrote:
I stand corrected.

But SAC is from the now dead Bandai, which means it may never be rescued here unless Manga decides in a million years to get it.

Edit: The DVD of the original GiTS seems to be OOP because Amazon only has 6 left in stock. Manga needs to quit sitting on the license if they aren't printing more.

That's where you're wrong, Bandai has said them closing won't effect the Ghost in the Shell series, as they didn't have rights to it, Manga does (they said Starz owns the rights, which owns Manga). if you would notice, that stock of box sets have not disappeared from RightStuf (and you also look, the series does not appear when you search Bandai stock, it comes up with Manga)
Ortensia1980

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:50 am Reply with quote
Nice! Can't wait to see how this turns out.

Wonder if Masamune Shirow will have anything to do with it. I don't know how big his involvement was with the other GitS series (other than providing the original art and story that is), but has he even done anything since Real Drive?
Big Hed

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:02 am Reply with quote
dan9999 wrote:
So any efforts to make us "see" GITS has moe is basically null as an effort to upset us fans, and ends up basically as a huge LOL instead.

I should hope so. As an avid SAC fan myself, it wasn't my intent to upset anybody.
rarirurero

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:18 am Reply with quote
At the risk of raining on any scheduled GITS-themed parades, doesn't the retool of Motoko's design pretty much mean they're making changes to draw in new fans, thus putting the original seiyu-cast in danger of not being asked to return?

Of course if this is something akin to a prequel, then who knows.

Producers of an English dub will probably reserve the right to cast the SAC-cast, if the opportunity is there and they se fit to do so.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:11 am Reply with quote
To me that design looks a bit Oshi-ish. Could it be a sequel of the original movie? Wink
BlackWingRyuk

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:00 am Reply with quote
Assuming this is going to be good and it does make its way to England and America,
If someone other then Manga Entertainment get the rights, will we still have our old voice actors. Richard Epcar and William Knight have been part of the francise since the first movie plus Crispin Freeman and the brilliant Mary Elizabeth Mcglynn not to mention the original voice actors in Japan. Come to think of it even if Manga Entertainment get it they could change the actors on a whim to suit either the new story changes or the dub directors personal views.

In regards to the new younger look of the major it would be interesting if they are planning to show section 9 earlier on, how the major joined section 9 etc. I just hope to god the new story isn't just an excuse to have the show resolve around some ditzie moe character. There is also the option that after solid state she changed into a younger body.
On a side not it is possiable that she is the puppet master/major hybrid and the story is a continuation of innocence, it was shown at the end of the first movie and the Manga that the hybrid is capable of holding a physical form.

My apologies for rambling, Ghost in the Shell was the first Manga I ever read and Motoko Kusinagi has been a personal hero of mine since I was 12 Anime smile
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:04 am Reply with quote
BlackWingRyuk wrote:
Assuming this is going to be good and it does make its way to England and America,
If someone other then Manga Entertainment get the rights, will we still have our old voice actors. Richard Epcar and William Knight have been part of the francise since the first movie plus Crispin Freeman and the brilliant Mary Elizabeth Mcglynn not to mention the original voice actors in Japan. Come to think of it even if Manga Entertainment get it they could change the actors on a whim to suit either the new story changes or the dub directors personal views.

In regards to the new younger look of the major it would be interesting if they are planning to show section 9 earlier on, how the major joined section 9 etc. I just hope to god the new story isn't just an excuse to have the show resolve around some ditzie moe character. There is also the option that after solid state she changed into a younger body.
On a side not it is possiable that she is the puppet master/major hybrid and the story is a continuation of innocence, it was shown at the end of the first movie and the Manga that the hybrid is capable of holding a physical form.

My apologies for rambling, Ghost in the Shell was the first Manga I ever read and Motoko Kusinagi has been a personal hero of mine since I was 12 Anime smile
All they need do is ask them. If they are not already booked to do something else, I can't see why the orginal VAs could not reprise their rolls again.
BlackWingRyuk

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:18 am Reply with quote
Quote:
All they need do is ask them. If they are not already booked to do something else, I can't see why the orginal VAs could not reprise their rolls again.

True, but look at Manga entertainments release of End of Evangelion a number of voice actors wanted to reprise the roles most noticablie fuyutski, Maya and hyuga but the director (original Rei) and Manga entertainment said no
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:01 am Reply with quote
BlackWingRyuk wrote:
Quote:

True, but look at Manga entertainments release of End of Evangelion a number of voice actors wanted to reprise the roles most noticablie fuyutski, Maya and hyuga but the director (original Rei) and Manga entertainment said no
Well for "GiTS Innocence" they said "yes". (shruggs)
Timeenforceranubis

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:29 pm Reply with quote
dan9999 wrote:
Timeenforceranubis wrote:

I'll have you know I find the Tachikomas very moe.

Sure, you are free to find moe whatever you want or wherever you wanna see it going by the ambiguous broaden theories and hypotheses of what the hell it is or constitutes.

I can say I find Joe Yabuki from Ashita no Joe --- if you have never hear of it--- very moe, so... your point is? I can also say I could find Seiya or Shun ---from Saint Seiya---- very moe as well, and one can do the same for practically any series.

Its all too different when you speak of the shameless moe pandering which many series, or characters for that matter, have as sole purpose.

Not mentioning GITS, therefore Tachikomas, are from an era where moe while already existed is infinitely different to what it constitute today, not mentioning it was very obscure term that most did not even know about until the boom happened around 2005-2006.

So any efforts to make us "see" GITS has moe is basically null as an effort to upset us fans, and ends up basically as a huge LOL instead.

The only thing I'm trying to make anyone "see" is that moe occurs in more places than just harem comedies and slice-of-life shows. If this prospect is scary to you, I don't know what to tell you.

BlackWingRyuk wrote:
I just hope to god the new story isn't just an excuse to have the show resolve around some ditzie moe character.

Why are people so afraid of moe "ruining" Ghost in the Shell, anyway?

Honest question: When was the last time we saw a less-moe series incorporate moe into a new installment and make the show worse as a result?
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:29 pm Reply with quote
TimeenforceranubisHonest wrote:
question: When was the last time we saw a less-moe series incorporate moe into a new installment and make the show worse as a result?
Power Puff Girls Z?
Gunslinger Girls, second season?
Timeenforceranubis

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
TimeenforceranubisHonest wrote:
question: When was the last time we saw a less-moe series incorporate moe into a new installment and make the show worse as a result?
Power Puff Girls Z?
Gunslinger Girls, second season?

Powerpuff Girls, maybe, but at the same time, you're talking about an adaptation of work from an industry that rarely incorporates moe into its animated works, by an industry that often incorporates moe into its animated works. What I'm asking is: Have there been any famously non-moe anime that they decided to add moe to in a later installment and, in doing so, made the show worse?

And Gunslinger Girl wasn't moe to begin with? Gunslinger Girl was so moe that the characters were moe for other characters.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:51 pm Reply with quote
[EDIT: No excessive quoting. -TK]
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Wow. Just what the world needs,another round of America-bashing from "Ghost in the Shell." Isn't that just swell? Neutral

Last edited by Snomaster1 on Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Timeenforceranubis

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:14 pm Reply with quote
[EDIT: No excessive quoting. -TK]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9