• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Best Buy - They might not be selling anime anymore.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
XCTU

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 2:31 am Reply with quote
Target pretty much did scale back when compared to Best Buy. They only have popular stuff like DBZ, Yugioh, and Miyazaki movies. You know, stuff that kids can convince their parents to buy since it's cheaper at Target with it being 20 for a dvd instead of 23 or 25, sometimes they're 15 at Target, too for no real reason. Good Prices, bad selection, but Best Buy on the other hand has all the good releases and decent prices (25 exactly for most dvd's)
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm... the BestBuy here has single DVDs for $19.99, and some starter sets ranging from $25.99-$39.99
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
OrsonHyuri

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 2:03 am Reply with quote
I hope BestBuy doesn't cut back on their selection too bad. I've been finding some cheaper prices there then online recently. I started shopping at BestBuy this year when DDD shipping started to seriously lag and be unpredictable. I've also found some rare gems at Bestbuy that made me impulsively buy. IE. Mirage of Blaze set for $19.99, Magic Knight Rayearth Economy Box for $29.99, Hades 1 & 2 for $6.99 each.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
Edo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 9:24 am Reply with quote
///

Last edited by Edo on Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Bruce Lee

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 7:35 pm Reply with quote
The Best Buy close to me in Tukwilla, WA seemed sort of bare when I was there last, also. They did have some good deals, though. I picked up Sabre Marionette R for $6.99. I also saw the last 2 Fruits Basket disks for $11.99 each. They had a 2 pack of the retail versions of both GitS2:Innosence and Millenium Actress for $19.99 also.
red stranger

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 4:04 pm Reply with quote
I was just at a Best Buy today (Mississauga ON/CA) and they seemed to have a decent amount of stock. Of course they also had the usual 10000000 boxes of Robotech, and stuff that's not anime at all (TinTin!), but that's best buy for ya...
Vash_the_Stamp3d3

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 4:45 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if those locations arent selling as well. I live in the outside Detroit area and the two Best Buys as well as the Media Play near me are stocked full of anime and new releases usually sell out that day for certain series. In fact the Media Play has its own anime club, so I am thinking they just arent selling enough at certain locations, cause I know a Gamestop near me stop selling anime due to low sales and they told me they shipped them all to another location that was selling them.
Starwind Amada

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 5:34 pm Reply with quote
red stranger wrote:
I was just at a Best Buy today (Mississauga ON/CA) and they seemed to have a decent amount of stock. Of course they also had the usual 10000000 boxes of Robotech, and stuff that's not anime at all (TinTin!), but that's best buy for ya...

WTF? There's a Tintin animation? I didn't know that. If you think that's bad, try going to Blockbuster, where they put Star Wars: Clone Wars and Spongebob in the anime section (until I told them it wasn't Japanese and they moved it). God, some stores are just ignorant. Pretty soon they'll probably put Blue's Clues next to GANTZ or something. Shocked
Emerje

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 1:30 am Reply with quote
Starwind Amada wrote:
WTF? There's a Tintin animation? I didn't know that.

Where have you been? Wink There have been two animated movies ('69 and '72) and a TV series by Nelvana was produced in '90 which ran in the US on HBO.

Anyway, I was at a Best Buy this past weekend and everything looked pretty normal; lots of shelf space and no more deep price cuts. They're also doing coupons on select titles so support is certainly still there.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dojikyo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Kazuki-san wrote:
kusanagi-sama wrote:
I wonder how this will affect the anime companies themselves financially?

If it's just them trimming down shelf space like I believe, I don't think it would be that big a problem, since it would mean getting rid of poor sellers which are generally not very good shows. (maybe bad news for anyone that likes those shows though) If they were truly planning on killing their anime section, they would have made some sort of announcement by now, in hopes of getting more people into the stores to buy out the section.

I don't know about sales relating to quality. Title such as Bleach, Naruto and Dragonballz are far more widely known and probably more profitable than Kaleidostar, which was disappointment for ADV, but I would take Kaleidostar over any of the previously mentioned action animes. Well the first arc for Bleach was pretty good.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 2:05 pm Reply with quote
dojikyo wrote:
I don't know about sales relating to quality. Title such as Bleach, Naruto and Dragonballz are far more widely known and probably more profitable than Kaleidostar, which was disappointment for ADV, but I would take Kaleidostar over any of the previously mentioned action animes. Well the first arc for Bleach was pretty good.

Huh? Anime dazed Correct me if I'm wrong, but Bleach the anime hasn't been licensed yet, has it?
.Sy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
Huh? Anime dazed Correct me if I'm wrong, but Bleach the anime hasn't been licensed yet, has it?
No, the anime isn't liscenced yet.
gundamlion

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 12:34 pm Reply with quote
i think that best buy is losing it's anime customers to suncost and samgoody. best buy is probebly trying to get more customers buy selling anime at lower prices, and the reason their anime selections are getting smaller is probebly because they aren't getting as much anime as they use to because of less anime customers. the reason i think best buy is losing anime business to suncoast and samgoody is because the last time i was at suncoast, the anime selection was unbelievable! they're even giving free promotional anime items away with the purchase of an anime, not only that, but they've started selling pocky sticks, ramune soda, manga, and more right by the anime sections. maybe best buy should do this.
Suikoden6880

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 12:55 pm Reply with quote
I just went to Best Buy like two days ago and anime shelf was huge! I got the Cromartie Artbox for $28 and Kyo Kara Maoh! for $25.....Then I got Spiral uncut for $12.....I shop there now instead of SunCoast and Sam Goody. But since BB didn't have Gravitation at all when I went there in my last 2 visits, I guess I have to go to SunCoast......
Shorty22

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Well, my local Best Buy hardly ever seems to have what I want. Confused The only things I've gotten from them is my YYH Dark Tournament Box Sets... because they were the cheapest place at the time... even cheaper than online. Shocked

Suncoast has a much better selection. The only series I had problems with there was CCS. For some reason, they hardly ever seemed to get the new volumes in and forget about getting the earlier volumes. (I started looking since volume 8 or 9, so I've been lurking around Suncoast for several years...) But other series seem more kept up with and stocked. They've always had whatever anime DVD I was looking for. But because of my current life schedule, I've had to abandon Suncoast & their reward program for just getting stuff online.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4