• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Franco-Japanese Animation Studio Launches

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:44 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:

I've been begging and pleading for someone, ANYONE to license Wakfu over here for years now, but no dice. Crying or Very sad

Two episodes of Wakfu were dubbed into English, I think from the same studio that did Code Lyoko, and screened for potential licensors several years ago and nothing came of it. Presumably no networks wanted to pick it up, which is a travesty because I've heard people say it's awesome but I don't want to have to search for fansubs just to watch the thing. Ankama probably wanted to cross promote the MMO with the cartoon and just failed at it, because the MMO itself is pretty bad from what I hear and it runs under a subscription model still or something like that.

I'm hoping we do get Ladybug, heck, the page for it online has an English version so it's probably being pitched to networks as we speak, but it would suck immensely if it ended up in network hell like Wakfu did.
vashna

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:14 am Reply with quote
I wasn't aware of the fact that there was ever an English dubbed version of Wakfu made at all. Then again, I actually remember the announcement of the Wakfu game showing up in Game Informer, so it must have had enough traction to become popular in this hemisphere. If you don't mind me asking, are the dub episodes to be found anywhere legally online? Naturally, I am not asking for an illegal stream. However, I seem to recall that other series without a network broadcast contract like Cardfight!! Vanguard have made it as Internet distributed shows thus far. That was why I decided to ask.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:51 am Reply with quote
dandelion_rose wrote:
I think that the Japanese animation industry essentially got lucky when the otaku subculture emerged. This comes with its advantages and setbacks; but the basic thing is that they are just as constrained to market demands and the need to financially survive as much as the animation industry of other parts of the world. So while we can have Space Brothers, it'd be a while before that manga about raising an autistic child will ever get animated.

So what are all the non-otaku anime, chopped liver? And how come "market demands" can't be good and must be a negative? And I'm not sure why people are acting like anime is dead and buried. Sales have been at an all-time high from what I've been seeing of these past few years.

vashna wrote:
I wasn't aware of the fact that there was ever an English dubbed version of Wakfu made at all. Then again, I actually remember the announcement of the Wakfu game showing up in Game Informer, so it must have had enough traction to become popular in this hemisphere. If you don't mind me asking, are the dub episodes to be found anywhere legally online? Naturally, I am not asking for an illegal stream. However, I seem to recall that other series without a network broadcast contract like Cardfight!! Vanguard have made it as Internet distributed shows thus far. That was why I decided to ask.

I'm not sure Game Informer is the most highest of standards we could be using.. but the game pretty much bombed (Square-Enix backed out and dropped the franchise) . The shows pretty bad too so it's not really much of a loss. For the record the dub is horrid and has funny surfer voices.

French animation has even less of a market in America than anime does so I wouldn't count on many shows being released here. Or if they are, it'll be like Code Lyoko and Oban Star Racer and be dub-only. Wakfu was made to pitch a video game and since the game kind of tanked there's no reason to bring it over. Not that I can see any current networks airing it to begin with. Pretty much every non-comedy show gets cancelled after a few months anyway. They just recently canned Green Lantern and Young Justice and Tron and Motorcity. So... pretty much every action show on TV just about. Seems like only comedy shows like Adventure Time and Regular Show can last.
dandelion_rose

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:58 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
dandelion_rose wrote:
I think that the Japanese animation industry essentially got lucky when the otaku subculture emerged. This comes with its advantages and setbacks; but the basic thing is that they are just as constrained to market demands and the need to financially survive as much as the animation industry of other parts of the world. So while we can have Space Brothers, it'd be a while before that manga about raising an autistic child will ever get animated.

So what are all the non-otaku anime, chopped liver? And how come "market demands" can't be good and must be a negative? And I'm not sure why people are acting like anime is dead and buried. Sales have been at an all-time high from what I've been seeing of these past few years.

I'm not sure what your point is. I never said that it is good or bad, only that it is the nature of the business.
Gon*Gon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:02 am Reply with quote
Oh for the love of all that is holy, never ever ever ever make any remotely like Basquatch...EVER.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:07 am Reply with quote
dandelion_rose wrote:
I'm not sure what your point is. I never said that it is good or bad, only that it is the nature of the business.

Well, you listed that as "setbacks" and you and configspace seemed to focus on after-midnight shows. You have plenty of mainstream shows like One Piece, Detective Conan, and a whole bunch of others to choose from as well. Nothing at all to do with 'otaku audiences'

Gon*Gon wrote:
Oh for the love of all that is holy, never ever ever ever make any remotely like Basquatch...EVER.

What's wrong with Basquash?
Gon*Gon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:20 am Reply with quote
Quite frankly, I hated it. Confused

Maybe it's an aesthetic thing, the style/character/setting/etc., or maybe I just found it utterly boring. Maybe I just didn't like the universe the creators made. I don't think it has to do with basketball even though that sports bores the hell out of me in real life(apparently shoving/tackling is against the rules despite it being completely fine in soccer Rolling Eyes), I liked Ro-Kyu-Bu which was also about basketball. So it must be subliminal that I hate about it. Something below my conscious awareness.

Kinda gives a "Boondocks, but in space" vibe to it, and makes me think they'll suddenly start rapping.

Also, the name's Basquash? Dang, I've been calling it Basquatch this whole time.

Either way, just never ever make anything that remotely resembles that series and it's alll good. Or make that series, but remove whatever it is that made me unconsciously detest it so much.
dandelion_rose

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:25 am Reply with quote
@TitanXL

I was actually replying to Stuart Smith's initial comment about the animation industry in Japan having an adult market. My point was that while it is definitely an audience of adults, it's not mainstream Japanese audience but a niche, a geek community. Kind of like how video games and comics work in the US.

The 'setbacks' I was referring to referred to the business challenges faced by the Japanese animation industry versus that of other countries. Like any other country, the animation industry has to cater to the consuming market. Since animation industries in Europe don't have that fanbase, animators who want to include an adult audience would go for an 'all ages' approach. Japanese animators can produce work outside of that demographic, but they're still pretty restricted to figuring out what works for the otaku market.

I wasn't under the impression that Stuart Smith was talking about children's shows like One Piece or Detective Conan. But if he was, that simply goes back to my initial comment -- tastes differ, so YMMV.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:46 am Reply with quote
Everybody knows Basquash was ruined when they fired the director around episode 11 and changed the focus of the show. Until then, it was riveting and beautiful with immense and luscious scenery that I don't think has ever been topped in TV anime since.
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:30 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:

I'm not sure Game Informer is the most highest of standards we could be using.. but the game pretty much bombed (Square-Enix backed out and dropped the franchise) . The shows pretty bad too so it's not really much of a loss. For the record the dub is horrid and has funny surfer voices.

I've heard plenty of people, including animation buffs, say that the show is good. The dub was described as mediocre (and I won't say where you can see it, because it's probably not available through legal means at all and I never watched it) with some voices standing out among others.

There just isn't much of a market for it, because like I said the game tanked here and I'm surprised it's still even going.
rockman nes

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Gon*Gon wrote:
Kinda gives a "Boondocks, but in space" vibe to it, and makes me think they'll suddenly start rapping

because boondocks is about rapping?.....
Gon*Gon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:38 am Reply with quote
Wait...the series went for more than 12 episodes? I thought it was just a 12 episode thing.

So how'd it do in terms of sales? Goldmine or garbage?

rockman nes wrote:
Gon*Gon wrote:
Kinda gives a "Boondocks, but in space" vibe to it, and makes me think they'll suddenly start rapping

because boondocks is about rapping?.....

Well with the Boondocks, I just hate the way everyone talks and looks. Also, I never specifically said it was about rapping. I said...

Gon*Gon wrote:
...makes me think they'll suddenly start rapping

Totally different things.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:16 am Reply with quote
Gon*Gon wrote:
Wait...the series went for more than 12 episodes? I thought it was just a 12 episode thing.

So how'd it do in terms of sales? Goldmine or garbage?

An average of 430 sales per volume. Total bomb. Sadly, Miyuki and Moonboobs wasn't enough to entice people to buy it.

dandelion_rose wrote:
The 'setbacks' I was referring to referred to the business challenges faced by the Japanese animation industry versus that of other countries. Like any other country, the animation industry has to cater to the consuming market. Since animation industries in Europe don't have that fanbase, animators who want to include an adult audience would go for an 'all ages' approach. Japanese animators can produce work outside of that demographic, but they're still pretty restricted to figuring out what works for the otaku market.

That is true. I just wanted to point out there's tons of adult fans for children's shows like the ones I mentioned. Other kids shows like Inuyasha and Fullmetal Alchemist got put on Adult Swim in the US because their writing and content was appealing enough to appeal to older viewers, or maybe because that's the only place they could air uncut. I imagine you could attribute that to Japan's more lenient censors which allows for that content so the 'all ages' demographic is also viable in Japan for adult tastes without having to deal with the obsessive consumer market.
Albireos

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:34 am Reply with quote
Just found out that Yapiko has been producing this pilot for a french TV series project named "Asterion".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HX1KGpamC9Q&feature=youtu.be

Cast includes Irie Yasuhiro, Shimizu Hiroshi and Kobayashi Shichiro.
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
Stuart Smith wrote:
In my years of watching animation, I find all the Japan/French co-productions I have seen don't interest me very much.

OTOH, I haven't seen any of the shows you list and have only even heard of a few... I assume you were unfortunately born too late or in the wrong place to grow up with Ulysses 31 and Mysterious Cities of Gold and Belle and Sebastian.

Unlike me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4