• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - The Shape of Things

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ryoga79

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:06 pm Reply with quote
My spending habbits were gross when I first started work and was living with my parents, in 2003 I was importing $100+ anime boxsets every month and in 2006 I went to New York and went into the Anime Castle warehouse and spent $1600 on anime.

When I moved out and got my mortgage, things came to a crashing standstill and I could only afford one boxset every other month, usually an UK R2 one instead of the US imports and that was because the prices had dropped (that and some good enough series were actually coming out in England). Biggest change is that before I used to download everything and now I pay for Crunchyroll which kinda went against the whole cut back on stuff but I wanted to do my part.

Since I changed jobs last year I've been back with a vengeance though, and catching up with all the shows that were released in America but not over here. Saint Seiya, Hunter X Hunter, more Lupin. My spending is on the rise. This month was worse than normal about £145. I have an addiction and it's getting worse again
gatotsu911

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Man, I remember the golden age of Adult Swim. Fullmetal Alchemist, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Cowboy Bebop and Ghost in the Shell at reasonable time slots, feature films, Moral Orel, The Boondocks, Aqua Teen Hunger Force at its peak... gimme those days back. I miss them. None of this Childrens Hospital and Delocated nonsense.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
LordByronius
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Is this week's article title a reference to the Neil LaBute play of the same name?

yup!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:50 am Reply with quote
gatotsu911 wrote:
Man, I remember the golden age of Adult Swim. Fullmetal Alchemist, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Cowboy Bebop and Ghost in the Shell at reasonable time slots, feature films, Moral Orel, The Boondocks, Aqua Teen Hunger Force at its peak... gimme those days back. I miss them. None of this Childrens Hospital and Delocated nonsense.

No kidding.

There trying to act like Disney X D or Nick by doing these live action series and failing big time.

I would expect this from the horror that is 4kids , but CN and it's sister block AS? It's not gonna benefit anyone at all.

CN should stick what it's been doing for years and that's doing animation series wether it's from here in the US or acquiring broadcasting rights from anime.

Answerman wrote:
Durarara!! is a wonderful show and could have the potential to capture a wider audience than the echo chamber of anime fans. But nah, not Adult Swim's cup of tea, apparently.

Then i guess i could kiss the idea of series like Highschool of the dead to be on AS one day. And from what your answer suggests i can also forget the idea that panty & stocking would also be on AS too.

However there is also the fact that the loss of the anime boom on AS is also due to the rise of internet streaming sites . Legal and especially the illegal ones. Not to mentioned some series ( Code Geass & Bleach ) on AS have been given the fansub treatment before coming to the US wich usually mean low viewership.

But there is blame to be handed to the CEO's of AS as well by using those GOD FORSAKEN AWFUL timeslots some series that are given to anime series all to be quote "in compliance with the FCC rules & regulations."

But i can definitely understand why they did not go after Durarara!! They dont want to make the mstake like what they did with Moribito which was a great series , but did not fit for the AS demograph at all so it's not their fault for going after it. Ashame too. Hopefully this trend wont be a long one and we will see new anime series that would both please fans as well be a hit viewershipwise other than just bleach and FMA Brotherhood.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
Quote:
In recent years, Adult Swim's ratings have risen from all those years ago when they ran Lupin III and Trigun and InuYasha and Cowboy Bebop four nights a week. In a way, they were relatively cheap programming filler - it cost them far less to acquire an anime series in order to fill up air time than to produce new content. Now? They're one of the biggest networks on Television when it comes to that coveted, precious male 18-34 demographic. Big stars and big producers are pitching new shows to Adult Swim all the time, and Adult Swim now has the money to make them. And after several years of growth, they finally have enough original product to fill a full lineup of programming.

Being part of that "coveted, precious male 18-34 demographic," I have to say....Adult Swim really needs to hire better people.

I used to write for a site that deals with this also and thus was privy to some inner workings of Williams Street, and one of those more well-known is by 18-34 male demo, they mean the college crowd (getting them while they're "young") who would be working adults with disposable income. So you have to have that college humor. Laughing

RedTail wrote:
Brian, while laserdisc players were certainly more expensive than VCRs, LDs were often cheaper than tapes in Japan.

In Japan, VHS was considered "rental" medium while LDs are for keeps, so VHS prices were priced for the rental market. That's the main reason Disney went for the Tokuma deal: to get into the home video distribution in Japan and the untapped VHS home video market by selling the ever-popular Ghibli films (and by extension, use their Buena Vista Home Video distribution to sell Disney films in yet another medium).

jr0904 wrote:
gatotsu911 wrote:

No kidding.

There trying to act like Disney X-D or Nick by doing these live action series and failing big time.

CN should stick what it's been doing for years and that's doing animation series wether it's from here in the US or acquiring broadcasting rights from anime.

They're not competing with the likes of Disney X-D or Nick; those are not even on their minds. They're competing against similar shows on their same timeslots. If it's beating those others shows, they don't care if it's animation, live-action, or anime. You should see how popular the likes of Venture Bros or Robot Chicken are in conventions. Laughing

jr0904 wrote:

Answerman wrote:
Durarara!! is a wonderful show and could have the potential to capture a wider audience than the echo chamber of anime fans. But nah, not Adult Swim's cup of tea, apparently.

Then i guess i could kiss the idea of series like Highschool of the dead to be on AS one day.

Definitely. It's not AS' type of action or type of humor.

jr0904 wrote:

And from what your answer suggests i can also forget the idea that panty & stocking would also be on AS too.

Well, this one may still have a chance based on their type of action or humor.

jr0904 wrote:

But there is blame to be handed to the CEO's of AS as well by using those GOD FORSAKEN AWFUL timeslots some series that are given to anime series all to be quote "in compliance with the FCC rules & regulations."

Cable has few FCC regulations; FCC rules more on broadcast airwaves. Cable networks deal more with their own Broadcast Standards & Practices and who they sell their ad slots to.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3