• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shows you enjoy from genres you otherwise don't.

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swienke

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Similarly to Tris8, I generally find romantic comedies boring at best and insipidly annoying at worst, but after hearing tons of praise for it I finally caved and watched My Little Monster a couple of months ago and found it to be a highly enjoyable experience. The characters are charming, sympathetic, and utterly ridiculous without ever seeming like caricatures, and the series as a whole is just suffused with such wit and authentic emotion that it kept me engaged from the first ten minutes on. It's a series that was obviously a labor of love for Brain's Base, though sadly it will probably never see the continuation that it deserves due to its middling sales.
BesuDesu

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:28 am Reply with quote
Hearing everyone talk about sports anime kinda reminded me that I really enjoy Bamboo blade X3. It's super entertaining, simplistic, with enough heart and a crazier cast then one is used to with yer typical sports tat. Just felt like I should add that to my first example.
Parse Error

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:43 am Reply with quote
Although Mecha was what initially got me into Japanese animation, I eventually grew sick and tired of it, much like what happens with a song you used to love until you played it countless times and now can't stand hearing. Even so, the first cours of Rinne no Lagrange really impressed me. Obviously it helped somewhat that there was more moe than mecha, but the main reason was the realistic method of characterization. While the characters showed one face to the world in order to suit their own purposes, their underlying thoughts and feelings were revealed through detailed body language.

Now of course most real people are not, for example, quite as clumsy as Lan or as peppy as Madoka, but the basic of idea of outward behavior that doesn't completely and honestly express what lies beneath is true to life, as is the often more revealing nature of nonverbal cues. I think doing things this way makes the best use of animation as a medium, because it takes full advantage of the visual component. Sadly, the second cours was disappointing, but I still have to give the series my respect for its first half doing that one thing more noticeably than most TV anime I've watched.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2