• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Russian Parents' Group Appeals to Putin to Ban Death Note Manga

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Togame

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
UNICEF and The New York Times reports that Russia has the third highest rate — 22 per 100,000 — of teenage suicide after Belarus and Kazakhstan.

Clearly comics are at fault.
Setsura1

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:12 pm Reply with quote
........really?
Ginsan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:35 pm Reply with quote
A character in Naruto Shippuden died and the boy committed suicide? What the hell? Manga are just for entertainment, you can be sad for it, you can be happy for it, you can be depressed for it, but you can't die for it!!
cloud8100

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:35 am Reply with quote
Now this is just ridiculous. Going by their standards absolutely everything should get banned. No stories what so ever. You never know how people might react Rolling Eyes
mourningsage

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:34 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The Voice of Russia posted an article that discussed a possible link between anime and a recent wave of suicides among young people in Russia. In the ten days prior to the original article's posting, six junior high school students committed suicide in Russia. The article noted that most of them had a strong interest in Japanese anime while they came from good families and received good grades.

do adults clearly not understand, there is no possible way to link manga and anime to suicide rates, you could equally compare the rates of car accidents and the amount of manga bought in the same city and have a similar validity of the results

in my opinion only using a time frame of 10 days is obscene no real statistic can be based off a such a small time period if this claim is correct the numbers are being used as a shock value and notice how it says "most" of them had a strong interest... id like to see the actual statistic of how many of them where actual anime and manga fans and what kind of manga and anime typed they watched to see if there is any similarities. also one could state that if the suicide rate is so high maybe we should be looking at the real cause instead of trying to mask the issue?
bigivel

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:31 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Alll wrote:
Confused in first place the main audience for that manga is teenagers, not children,

It ran in shounen jump, so yeah, it was for children.

Shonen is for preteens and teenagers, 13 to 18 years! If you think people with 13-18 year are children than what are people with 7-12? You have to note that in Japanese kids/children is described by the word "Kodomo"(7-12 years) and there are a lot of this magazines with works like Doraemon, Shin chan, Inazuma 11, Pokemon and more; Teenagers is described by the word "Shonen/Shojo"(13-18) with magazines like Shonen Jump and Shonen Magazine; and Young adult is described by the word "Seinen/Josei"(19-25) with magazines like Young Anime(Berserk and Futari Ecchi), Weekly Morning(Vagabond) and Weekly Young Jump(Real).
Kutsu

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:00 am Reply with quote
bigivel wrote:
TitanXL wrote:
Alll wrote:
Confused in first place the main audience for that manga is teenagers, not children,

Shonen is for preteens and teenagers, 13 to 18 years! If you think people with 13-18 year are children than what are people with 7-12? You have to note that in Japanese kids/children is described by the word "Kodomo"(7-12 years) and there are a lot of this magazines with works like Doraemon, Shin chan, Inazuma 11, Pokemon and more; Teenagers is described by the word "Shonen/Shojo"(13-18) with magazines like Shonen Jump and Shonen Magazine; and Young adult is described by the word "Seinen/Josei"(19-25) with magazines like Young Anime(Berserk and Futari Ecchi), Weekly Morning(Vagabond) and Weekly Young Jump(Real).

Shin-chan is seinen actually. ^^
Pokenatic

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:59 am Reply with quote
Pokenatic wrote:
TitanXL wrote:
Alll wrote:

A, Death Note is on the older end of the Shonen spectrum, and B, the Shonen demographic is 10 and up.

There's a separate demographic under Shonen.

bigivel wrote:
TitanXL wrote:
Alll wrote:

Am I just chopped meat in the corner or something?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Alena_S

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:13 am Reply with quote
Well, I am actually Russian and I can tell you that all this story has been too strange from the very beginning. Seems like some of our stupid state TV-channels decided to make a great show out of the tragedy. And, as a result, instead of a proper investigation which no-one, as it seems, is willing to conduct (though some relatives of the girl seem quite suspicious, and not only to me), a so-called "community of the Ural parents" just banned "Death Note" in the whole Sverdlovskaya district...

It's just some kind of a marasmus, and usual people do mostly understand it (one of the most popular comments is: "Why won't you ban Dostoevsky and "Anna Karenina"?", the other is: "Don't you think that the real problem lies within a family?"), but still - all this xenophobia still exists in the heads of our bureaucrates, so it can't be helped.

And you know what's most strange about all this? They say that "Death Note" is too suicidal! Obviously, no one of them has read it, nor has anyone read the description in the Wikipedia even. Otherwise, they apparently would have known that it's a detective with lots of killings - not suicides. By the way, in Russia "Death Note" is marked "16+", and the girl was only thirteen...

Well, since the previous year we usually call our parliament "a printer which has gone mad", because they just go on producing tons of most ridiculous laws at a speed highest possible. Something's gonna change, it cannot be like this forever...

So, that's it.

And, by the way: my friends surely like "Berserk". But they don't go berserk because of it... honestly! =)
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Hey, everyone! Lets ignore our obvious issues for young suicide and instead focus on banning a comic book. Because obviously the problem is the comic book... it even has "death" in the title! We are sure to fix all our problems by doing this. Probably.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:05 pm Reply with quote
The Russians are after manga

The Americans are after video games

Yet NA lets rapists who assault children run free, USA lets every person have a firearm and Russia's government is so [expletive] corrupted that there's no hope for them to ever recover at this rate.

Yeah GG guys

Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Ginsan wrote:
A character in Naruto Shippuden died and the boy committed suicide? What the hell? Manga are just for entertainment, you can be sad for it, you can be happy for it, you can be depressed for it, but you shouldn't die for it!!
Fixed. Lord knows what else was going on inside the victim's mind at the time, but it was obviously the trigger for him to actually go through with it. But don't for a moment think that this alone is a cause. There are as many causes of someone to take their own life as there are victims doing it and not a single one are the same.
bigivel

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Kutsu wrote:
bigivel wrote:
TitanXL wrote:
Alll wrote:

Shin-chan is seinen actually. ^^

yup, you're right! That is so strange. I watched almost all the episodes of it when it showed here in Portugal and it seemed, just like Doraemon, a kid show. It have any special reason for being a Seinen? Or just is because.
bigivel

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Pokenatic wrote:
Pokenatic wrote:
TitanXL wrote:
Alll wrote:

A, Death Note is on the older end of the Shonen spectrum, and B, the Shonen demographic is 10 and up.

There's a separate demographic under Shonen.

bigivel wrote:
TitanXL wrote:
Alll wrote:

Am I just chopped meat in the corner or something?

English is not my first language so I don't know if I really understand what you mean by that expression. Are you implying that I just ignored your response and wrote the same thing you're said before?
shamisen the great

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:32 am Reply with quote
Happiness for Subaru wrote:
Pokenatic wrote:
Anyways, is there even a single instance of suicide in Death Note that was not caused by the Death Note?
spoiler[Misa.] Hinted at in the anime, but it wasn't featured in the manga series.
I think they pretty much confirmed it in the volume thirteen How To Read book.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4