• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Yuruyuri Anime Cast Sings 2nd My Little Pony Opening

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:40 pm Reply with quote
AoA couldn't pick it up even if they wanted it
Alexander55

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:57 pm Reply with quote
partysmores wrote:
roseversailles wrote:
VORTIA wrote:
Damn it! If they're still working together, make more Yuru Yuri!

Hear hear! Or, better yet, someone over here license and release the series!

If anyone brings this series over, it'll probably be Sentai Filmworks/Section23 Films, or maybe Maiden Japan. I don't see anyone like FUNimation, Viz Media, or Aniplex of America wanting it.

Normally Sentai would have gotten it but they haven't yet. And they already have slice of life shows like K-ON!, A-Channel, etc, so I'm surprised what's holding them back from grabbing this show for their fans.

Fencedude5609 wrote:
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

No please, tell another one.

Was I really funny?! Honest truth. Rolling Eyes

Alright anyway, the reason why I mentioned Touhou is because it is a dominant sub-culture in Japan as MLP is for the US and both became popular through online memes and 2ch/4chan before they grew outside of their nests and expanded elsewhere in the Online world.

MLP landing in Japan would mean that the franchise is not only trying to cultivate its prized fanbase of young girls but also hopes that lady luck hits Bushiroad/Hasbro enough for the series to attract the same Brony following seen elsewhere in the Western world.

That would only happen if:

1. We start seeing Japanese Bronies post their love for all things related to MLP on 2ch and Niconico Douga.

2. The Japanese media covers folks who happen to be "Pony Otakus" or basically "Bronies"

3. If they build at least one convention dedicated to the franchise and manage to reel in 500-1000 people. America has 33+ active conventions dedicated to MLP already.

4. And if they manage to get at least 500 or more doujin circles in Comiket, enough to create the same influential clout Touhou and BL have in the con.

Essentially, the Bronies would be competing(either alongside/against) the Touhous for pop-culture influence. Whether MLP would succeed or not is left to be seen.

Personally, I'm not a fan of the show but hey everyone's got different taste.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:38 pm Reply with quote
Naganna happen.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:44 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
MLP landing in Japan would mean that the franchise is not only trying to cultivate its prized fanbase of young girls but also hopes that lady luck hits Bushiroad/Hasbro enough for the series to attract the same Brony following seen elsewhere in the Western world.

No...it just means that Bushiroad wants to market a popular show to Japanese kids. I highly doubt bronies ever, EVER, EVER came into the equation here.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:26 am Reply with quote
Sure there's gonna be some MLP fans, there's already a good bit of doujinshi out there, mostly by the furry artists. My assessment is, MLP is a phenomenon in The West as a way for guys to embrace cute shit and genuinely enjoy it. Moe otaku are already off the deepend with that, so cute ponies isn't exactly shaking things up. If anything, it's just another series to watch.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:27 am Reply with quote
Alexander55 wrote:
How is MLP doing in Japan anyway? I can't seem to find the ratings for the TV show.

About as much as you'd expect an American cartoon to do in Japan, which isn't all that great. All we can do is see if they renew the license past episode 52 or let it die off like Transformers Prime's Japanese dub did.

Quote:
Was it a success? Or did it bomb? I heard it had high profile JP VA's attached to the franchise and Bushiroad(the creators of the Vanguard Trading card game) were handling the series.

High-profile anime VAs are in a lot of American cartoon dubs. It doesn't really mean much to otaku though. Otaku care about Romi Park and Rie Tanaka from their anime roles, not because they voice Adventure Time characters.

And if it's any indication, MLP live-watch threads get about as many posts as Aku no Hana does on 2chan. Which is to say, not much at all. And most of those posts are from westerners from /mlp/ who are trying to drum up interest so it's more than likely even less.

Still does better than "Power Rangers SPD" live-watch threads though, so at least there's that. You're lucky to see even 60 posts in those threads.

Quote:
Was it able to somehow cultivate the "Brony Phenomenon" and rival the Touhou fanbase in Japan despite the American innuendo in the show? Or is the show mostly popular with the kids?

The latter. The thing people have to remember is Japan lacks the whole reason bronies became a thing in the west. It's pretty much common knowledge adults (otaku) watch kids/girl anime in Japan. There's no appeal in playing it up for irony and using it troll people with for shock value in Japanese culture. There no reason to wear it as a badge of honor or make a big deal out of a guy watching a little girls cartoon when the otaku market exists.

Last edited by TitanXL on Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:30 am; edited 1 time in total
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:29 am Reply with quote
Speaking of Adventure Time, do otaku hate it because Lady speaks Korean? Also, I'm sure all of LSP's humor would be lost in the dub acting and translation.
ZanraiKid

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:38 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Speaking of Adventure Time, do otaku hate it because Lady speaks Korean? Also, I'm sure all of LSP's humor would be lost in the dub acting and translation.

Last I checked, otaku (American otaku, at least) really freaking love the show. Japanese otaku I'd assume don't take to it as well, but there are still those willing to support it. Same with MLP. As for LSP, all nationalities have some form of valley girl stereotype. For Japan, it's the ganguro.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:14 pm Reply with quote
I'm talking about born and raised Yamato Japanese otaku, not any other type in the world, and specifically their aversion to things Korean.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:47 pm Reply with quote
I think it's safe to say most otaku don't know/care about Adventure Time. Otaku generally stick to anime.
roseversailles

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:16 am Reply with quote
partysmores wrote:
roseversailles wrote:
VORTIA wrote:
Damn it! If they're still working together, make more Yuru Yuri!

Hear hear! Or, better yet, someone over here license and release the series!

If anyone brings this series over, it'll probably be Sentai Filmworks/Section23 Films, or maybe Maiden Japan. I don't see anyone like FUNimation, Viz Media, or Aniplex of America wanting it.

Sure enough, it just got licensed, and by NISA. Wasn't expecting that so soon!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2