• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Rozen Maiden (2013) (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:11 am Reply with quote
For a moment there, I feared Jun would spend the rest of the series spoiler[brooding, sinking into depression and beating himself up for letting himself be manipulated into making a body for Kirakishou, but I was glad to see him take a proactive approach with the whole "It is my problem so tell me what can I do to help"]. I think it did greatly to show at list a tidbit of growth, iniciative and progress for Jun and I liked it
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:27 am Reply with quote
Episode 10

Of course Suiseiseki would spoiler[give her roza mystica to her Souseiseki]. It sounds so confusing to say all the names of the characters.

Hopefully unwound Jun can get back and continue living and making positive choices.

*watches Kirakishou spoiler[lick Jun's finger]* I am going to use that meme and say that I have the weirdest boner right now. Did I use that right? Just seemed a little odd for it too be spoiler[so seductive].

And I continue to love Suiginto's wings.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:32 pm Reply with quote
the guy's got himself a harem now
Wooga

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:44 am Reply with quote
Finally caught up on this show. Was glad Suiseiseki finally showed up, but then she immediately spoiler["dies"]. Since I haven't read the manga , I have no idea where this is going. But I really appreciate how more plot-oriented this is from the previous incarnations. I thought it was pretty neat how this confrontation is set on stage, frozen in time ( but the spotlights still work).
Lolita princess

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Totally loving kanaria right now in this episode
maxlance

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Was Rozen Maiden Partly Inspired By "Small Soldiers"?

Greetings All!

(BTW, I'm trying to compile a list of all Rozen Maiden topics on the site to assist in submitting Rozen Maiden in the ANN Series Discussion Index, so if you are able and aware of such topics, please message them to me. Thanks!)

Yes, it sounds like an off the top question, but I've gleaned on campus ideas of shadow similarities between Rozen Maiden and the scifi flick "Small Soliders" that bears some speculation. It doesn't mean nor imply Rozen Maiden's a direct rip or Small Soliders in Barbie drag, still I can't help thinking that this film (3 years pre-Rozen) may've seeded the power doll notion in the Rozen author's head that made a bold breakthru in dolls having a pop male following. Speculating is fun and maybe even surprizing!

You have a group of dolls battling between themselves with powerful magic or technology out of all proportion to their size; grabbing another's super CPU brain or batteries or Mystica "life force" to continue on, one side with hopes of reaching an idyllic state before being destroyed; dolls having assorted lovable, ruthless, tender, quirky and reluctant personalities beneath their programmed urge to fight; ball-joints mentions and toilet jokes; doll self-sacrifice and broken dolls; side human character intrigues that affect doll fates, and, not to be underestimated, "Small Soliders" did box office in Japan plus in the late nineties to early 2000's, "Solider" character Tommy Lee Jones was a very popular American Actor in Japan; he even pops up next to Konata in "Lucky Star"! There might have been living dolls in anime long before this, but I doubt they accomplished the same popularity as Rozen Maiden has, roughly sharing the same psyche and adventure elements with Small Soldiers.

Again this is just fun speculation skimmed off cosplay groups on several NYC campuses, so make it a fun civil tear-down if you must! Very Happy

Aside: one sci-fi fantasy of mine is seeing a kind of live-action "Small Soliders" version of Rozen Maidens without the magic but keeping the same doll personalities in place. The awe of that to me is one day technology really will be advanced enough for you to have a "real live"" Suiseiseki in your room! Next best thing to her magically turning into a real babe! Very Happy
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:41 am Reply with quote
Episode 11

Are things going well with spoiler[getting time to move forward and practically beating Kirakishou], or they going really bad with spoiler[Souseiseki having to go again and Shinku to stop working]. Why didn't she tell them to spoiler[wait until they had her body]?

Also Kirakishou looked exceptionally sad in this episode. She has come across similar before in a creepy way, but here I felt genuinely sad. The cry was well done, and I liked the symbolic bits of only showing parts of her. If only their creator finished his dolls maybe some of them would not have that many problems (Kirakishou and Suiginto specifically), although this is the same guy who created cute dolls just for the purpose to fight each other, I guess there was nothing good on tv at the time.

Also the short stories involving the Russian doll seemed to have taken a dark turn.
maxlance

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:46 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Episode 11

Are things going well with spoiler[getting time to move forward and practically beating Kirakishou], or they going really bad with spoiler[Souseiseki having to go again and Shinku to stop working]. Why didn't she tell them to spoiler[wait until they had her body]?

Also Kirakishou looked exceptionally sad in this episode. She has come across similar before in a creepy way, but here I felt genuinely sad. The cry was well done, and I liked the symbolic bits of only showing parts of her. If only their creator finished his dolls maybe some of them would not have that many problems (Kirakishou and Suiginto specifically), although this is the same guy who created cute dolls just for the purpose to fight each other, I guess there was nothing good on tv at the time.

Also the short stories involving the Russian doll seemed to have taken a dark turn.

Their creator has some serious issues. The girls might run into that Greek "What if your God is mad?" quandary and have to take serious reflection of their programming. In my view Kirakishou can never be sad because the witch has no emotions, no human experience or body to even create or need them. I believe she was meant as a kind of psyche nexus for the collected dolls to form the core of Alice's spirit -- which would explain why she needs no Mystica or host or body, but something went awry and instead became a rogue vampire spider, even going after humans well as dolls. If Rozen built his dolls to even allow that the guy was more lights-out than we ever imagined before. If not, must we assume the guy's really long dead because he hasn't corrected this flaw in madness? One speculation is because Rozen has lived hundreds of years since dumping the seven, could've he also been busy creating a new crop of dolls during that time? Might the six (forget Kirakishou) actually end up banding together against that bunch? Very Happy
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Oh God, my heart when I saw spoiler[Shinku broken like that this episode. Well, at least it was nice to see DESU back again.] Suigintou is such a meanie though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:57 am Reply with quote
Episode 12

So they spoiler[saved Shinku, Suiginto shows some heart, and unwound Jun went back to his world]. Also some spoiler[Hinaichigo], there is no doubt she spoiler[is my favourite, so happy for her part].

With one episode left, I actually don't want the Rozen Maidens to take part in it, which is really odd thing to say when the show is named after them. No, this season has been all about Unwound Jun, the dolls actually were secondary, and thus I think it would be much better to see Jun pull his life forward with his own hands. Leave a conclusion of the dolls to another season. Again a mention that I have found him more interesting than the animate dolls.

Not saying that the dolls weren't cute and or funny here, they had some good moments with each of them, but their part is done. Jun and Saito please.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Episode 12
For some reason, I feel like Suigintou is one of the more tragic characters in this show given her solitude and the mentality of her master whom is a resident of that hospital.

That was a dramatic episode though and I'm going to miss all the little moments that Shinku and Jun shared throughout the series. Ooh and speaking of Shinku, she is the master of bitchslapping Laughing

Next week's the finale but I do wonder how they will wrap things up.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kruszer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:07 am Reply with quote
^They don't.

Episode 13
spoiler[F***ing cliffhanger. There sure as hell better be a continuation to this otherwise I'm going to be pissed, another season, an OVA, movie, give me something. Older Jun gets to his universe and both Juns move on with their lives, which seem to be improving, but younger Jun goes comatose and the dolls contact him for help...but then it just...ends. ] Evil or Very Mad

Is that where the manga ends or is there more? Confused
shiranehito

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Is episode 13 really is the last episode of this season? If so spoiler[That's one way to end a season, man!! Effing cliffhanger!]

I hope they'll make a continuation of this one. Maybe another season, since the manga is still ongoing.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:33 pm Reply with quote
Episode 13

I am actually quite happy with how they resolved the not wind Jun, he seemed to be going quite well. And also kind of like the prospect of ending at that so I want to watch another season.

I rate it Decent, older Jun made this.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:47 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
I am actually quite happy with how they resolved the not wind Jun, he seemed to be going quite well

I agree although "quite well" in this case means stepping up slightly from the totally apathetic, and having more e-mail addresses in his phone other than just Nori's. I wonder though why he didn't soon get the notion to build more dolls, even if he couldn't animate them.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6