• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Studio Trigger Launches Little Witch Academia 2 Kickstarter

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:24 am Reply with quote
Momokochan wrote:
Just gave 'em my money, AND I WILL REMIND YOU when they get to the million

Momokochan wrote:
People tend to forget that Homestuck ( a webcomic!) made the atonishing $2,485,506 for it's game. Not even an animation, or something the like. A game.
It would really not be hard to get 2mil for Little Witch.

Homestuck also had 24,000 backers, a near sight better than Eve or KickHeart.
BL

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:28 am Reply with quote
It is disappointing but not surprising to see the hate for an english dub personally, I am waiting to see if one is added, as I would love to have a dub track.
Momokochan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:35 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

Homestuck also had 24,000 backers, a near sight better than Eve or KickHeart.

It'll get there, not because people know of LWA, but because people will want to be involved in an anime project! There's much more anime fans than there are webcomic fans ( perhaphs webcomic fans are a sub-category of the same) to have the chance to be part of a legit anime production, I think, would be what will call people out to participate and donate.
Also, Kick-heart was very ....not so main-stream as LWA. LWA is much more friendly towards it's audience. K-H was very very random, to say the least.
I did not participate on the K-H campaign, that anime really did not call my attention at all! Eve well...it isn't as...both are very artsy. LWA is way more mainstream, more sellable. For both, K-H or Eve there was not the campaign there was in sites like Tumblr or others. Sure, Magazines like ANN or Kotaku mentioned them, but I guarantee that LWA will do much much better than the other two.
v1cious

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:43 am Reply with quote
Amazing how much money this got from a/, considering that they never pay for anything. Nice to see this kind of support for Trigger.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:46 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
Amazing how much money this got from a/, considering that they never pay for anything. Nice to see this kind of support for Trigger.

I saw several people on Twitter say that this was the first time they paid for anime in years.

Who knows how much this might make in the end (I would be very, very surprised if it hit a million or even close to it) but it sure won't have any trouble reaching the initial goal, as it's over 90% there 3 hours after it started.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:47 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:

/a/ buys a lot of merch. There's continuous threads about figures and other things they've purchased or pre-ordered. I guess it's just domestic stuff they don't really care for, which is probably still bought anyway but just not mentioned. That this is literally going straight into Trigger's coffers, it's seen as something with no downside; with only Kickstarter receiving their cut.

I guess that /a/ doesn't bitch and moan about fansubs killing the industry and they go ">buying anime" is what gives the illusion that it's a board composed only of hypocritical tightwads, but it's not everyone. People drop $1000s a year of anime merch, just like everyplace else.

Last edited by walw6pK4Alo on Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:54 am; edited 1 time in total
SwerveCity

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:51 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:

/a/ is basically our version of 2chan, lots of the really hardcore anime fans congregate there and those guys like to support the japanese industry, they just don't seem to like the generic localisation method(which is a real shame).
Big Hed

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:03 am Reply with quote
BL wrote:
It is disappointing but not surprising to see the hate for an english dub personally, I am waiting to see if one is added, as I would love to have a dub track.

And I would hate to see money spent on a dub that could otherwise be used to animate more footage (which I don't imagine Trigger is short in supply of ideas for). This isn't to say that I'd never want to hear a dub; but that's a matter best left for another round of funding at another time. Let's pay for as much primary production as possible, first!
SwerveCity

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:05 am Reply with quote
And its hit it.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:07 am Reply with quote
And it's funded. Now to see what the stretched goals will be. Since this is supplementary funding for more time on top of what they've already budgeted and planned for, I think we can assume the $10k/minute will continue.
publicenemy333

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:08 am Reply with quote
BL wrote:

Seriously, you can really tell /a/ is running this kickstarter. One person even commented how they were pissed that Time of Eve added a dub. Yeah, cause that REALLY affects you, man lol. But hey, at least LWA getting the support it needs. Guess 4Chan didn't really care as much for Time of Eve or Kick Heart though lol. I honestly didn't even know 4chan liked this show so much lol

Personally, while I love dubs and would love to see one, I think any additional budget should be focused on additional animation. If this can reach film length, then I'd say we should look into a dub. Though it seems that a lot of people want a nendroid figure as a stretch goal over that. While that would be cool, I'd personally take a dub over that. I'd make the nendroid the next step. Though I'd if I said that over there, they'd rip me to shreds (the AUDACITY of me liking dubs! Amirite? lol)

BTW, as I post this, the kickstarter has been funded
Big Hed

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:12 am Reply with quote
publicenemy333 wrote:
Seriously, you can really tell /a/ is running this kickstarter. One person even commented how they were pissed that Time of Eve added a dub. Yeah, cause that REALLY affects you, man lol. But hey, at least LWA getting the support it needs. Guess 4Chan didn't really care as much for Time of Eve or Kick Heart though lol. I honestly didn't even know 4chan liked this show so much lol

If your connection can handle loading the LWA thread stuck to the front page of /a/ currently, you'll see just how excited they are.
BL

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:21 am Reply with quote
Big Hed wrote:
BL wrote:

And I would hate to see money spent on a dub that could otherwise be used to animate more footage (which I don't imagine Trigger is short in supply of ideas for). This isn't to say that I'd never want to hear a dub; but that's a matter best left for another round of funding at another time. Let's pay for as much primary production as possible, first!

Honestly I only watch anime dub this is not to say I have a problem with Japanese voice actors I just prefer to watch anime rather than read it. Dubs fans would not be hitching a free ride they would be contributing their money too in order to get a dub it is not just sub fans whose money would be spent. Regardless glad to see it has been funded I will wait on the stretch goals and see if a dub is included before I pledge.
RTL3

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:26 am Reply with quote
And the money continues to roll in. Hopefully some interesting stretch goals and maybe some new rewards (Inferno Cop related perhaps...) to come. Onwards!
Big Hed

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:38 am Reply with quote
BL wrote:
Honestly I only watch anime dub this is not to say I have a problem with Japanese voice actors I just prefer to watch anime rather than read it. Dubs fans would not be hitching a free ride they would be contributing their money too in order to get a dub it is not just sub fans whose money would be spent. Regardless glad to see it has been funded I will wait on the stretch goals and see if a dub is included before I pledge.

I feel for you there. But in all seriousness, I'd guess Trigger isn't really thinking about English dub production. I think they'd prefer to keep stretching out run time, as was IG's intent with Kick Heart.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3