• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Moe Tournament (nominations closed)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shirokiryuu

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 3:36 am Reply with quote
The only reason i've never responded is because i don't fully understand the concept of "moe" and after reading the ann def i can't think of any at the moment.

And the examples people are giving i can't relate because i've never seen any of those series
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 4:43 am Reply with quote
shirokiryuu wrote:
And the examples people are giving i can't relate because i've never seen any of those series

Your avatar won the champion last year, although I feel her more air-headed than moe.

Make your My Anime public and I'll point out moe characters in series you've watched.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
cyrax777

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 6:55 am Reply with quote
Its all about Ink-tan from Moe-tan vol 1. that would be a funny anime. Take the Moe-tan characters and make a anime out of them.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 9:29 am Reply with quote
I'm interested in this contest so don't plan on killing it!

I'm just wondering when the "official" contest begins once you get the logistics straightened out. Rolling Eyes
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 11:02 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
abunai wrote:
It has always seemed to me that a cardinal point of moe is that one should experience an urge to protect and nurture the object of moe. The object should be somehow frail or delicate or immature. Somehow, I can't see Shinku or Suigin Tou needing, or wanting, protection.

I rewatched the Akiba-Oh tournament by TV Tokyo yesterday, and it introduced a more recent re-definition of a sub-genre of moe: tsuntsun deredere (ツンツンデレデレ), or tsundere (ツンデレ) for short.

"Aloof" + "lovestruck"? That is, they are so much cooler that they could easily catch a cooler guy than the male character, but choose him out of true love? Like Hermès in Densha Otoko?
Ooh, I learned a new phrase. Thanks, dormcat.

dormcat wrote:
This type of female protagonists are not new at all and can be in combination with other traits, notably osananajimi, classmates (class representative in particular), younger sisters, vampires, etc., but not compatiple with maids or Yamato Nadeshiko. NO tsundere character needs "protection;" in fact, male protagonists often need protection from their wrath. Anime smile + sweatdrop Yet, many fanboys find them "moe!"

Hmm. I am partial to strong females, myself - both in media and in real life. I am, however, not too fond of the odd Japanese penchant for demonstrating strength by physical assault (i.e. Narusegawa Naru and her infamous punch).

dormcat wrote:
Ah, too bad I shipped my Genshiken DVD back home. I want to verify if they use tsundere to describe Saki-chan when spoiler[she revealed her osananajimi-ship with Kohsaka].

Oh, now you made me interested... I rushed off and popped mine in the player.
I wrote down the dialogue for their reaction (and her response), which goes like this, from right after the imagined flashback sequence:

Quote:
久我山 + 田中 + 斑目: ウワアアア
久我山: カッ春日部さん、幼馴染キャラだったのかぁっっ?
田中: すげぇっ!マジいるんだ?
斑目: 初めて見たッ!
春日部: やっぱりオタクくさいよなぁ
田中: おい、やべっ!何かすっげ可愛いく見えてきたなあ
久我山: 俺もっ
斑目: きっと、乱暴な言動と裏腹が可愛いい一面とかもってだぜ
春日部: ねえよ、そんなもん!

Sadly, there's no tsundere in there.... Sad

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Efan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 11:11 am Reply with quote
Let me see if I understand the true meaning of moe. Tell me if these are examples of moe's: Nana- Elfen Lied, Chii- Chobits and Excel- Excel Saga. Just tell me if they fit into the definition of moe, than I can put in some real nominees.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 1:00 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
"Aloof" + "lovestruck"? That is, they are so much cooler that they could easily catch a cooler guy than the male character, but choose him out of true love? Like Hermès in Densha Otoko?

You are welcome. However, I see that you might get it wrong. Hermès is nowhere tsundere. See the screencap:

It featured Suzuka Asahina of Suzuka as the example. Basically, it's a type of female protagonists who is cold and aloof most of the time, especially in front of the male protagonist. However, she is in love with him -- in many cases, she doesn't even acknowledge being lovestruck. When she's with her female friends, she spends most of the time telling how annoying he is, until her friends point out "you keep talking about him; are you in love with him?" Then she blushes and denies. Very stereotypical. Anime smile + sweatdrop

I'd say the most famous tsundere example should be Naru Narusegawa (you said so yourself without knowing Wink ). Hatena Diary uses Akiha Tohno of Tsukihime as the prime example. More info can be found at ツンデレ初心者の方へ.

abunai wrote:

Ah, a pity. How about the dialogue between Sasahara and Madarame discussing the perfect moe character (osananajimi + nekomimi + maid + class rep + bandage + glasses + clumsy + tsundere (?))?

BTW, just got my Genshiken vol. 3 (plus YKK vol. 13 and Aria vol. 7) today. Laughing

Efan wrote:
Let me see if I understand the true meaning of moe. Tell me if these are examples of moe's: Nana- Elfen Lied, Chii- Chobits and Excel- Excel Saga. Just tell me if they fit into the definition of moe, than I can put in some real nominees.

Both Nana and Chii were considered as some of the most moe examples. Chii was the champion of the most favorite female anime character in 2002; Nana won the first round of SaiMoe 2005 but lost to Setsuna Sakurazaki of Negima in the second round. Haven't seen Excel Saga myself so I can't make any comment.

Last edited by dormcat on Tue Dec 27, 2005 11:09 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Samurai CDZ

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 1:10 pm Reply with quote
I suggest when you have everything sorted out and start the nominations (I'd start a new thread for it at that time) you should provide a big list of characters that can be considered moe, so that people who want to participate, but aren't sure what moe is, can "pick" characters to nominate. Of course, letting people nominate characters not on the list is allowed as well.

Quote:
4. Each user can have one vote for each match. I'm not quite sure if the forum is the best way for voting, yet I'm not sure if this tournament is eligible for a poll either. Each match continues for 24 hours, and ballots are counted after each round. Words praising your beloved character(s) are welcomed; do not attack others' beloved character(s).

If you use the forums, 24 hours might not be long enough. Maybe a rolling 48-72 hours is better. In other words, a new poll is put up everyday but it stays up for two/three days (e.g. the 12/1 poll closes 12/4, 12/2 closes 12/5, 12/3 closes 12/6, 12/4 closes 12/7, etc.). It would give people a chance to vote and keep it going at a 24 hour pace (+ 4 days).

Also, what are the plans of listing characters? Is it just going to be the name and the show. Or, will someone do some leg work and get, a least, a mug-shot for each character. There is no way people are going to know every character. It would be nice to have something to work with. ...And, not everyone is going to google it, either.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Samurai CDZ wrote:
Also, what are the plans of listing characters? Is it just going to be the name and the show. Or, will someone do some leg work and get, a least, a mug-shot for each character. There is no way people are going to know every character. It would be nice to have something to work with. ...And, not everyone is going to google it, either.

I'd say the nomination should be as complete as possible. Name (in both kanji/kana and romaji), anime title, a mugshot or a link to its official character page (personally don't like direct IMG links, for large pictures can distort forum layout), and a brief introduction is welcomed.
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 2:01 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Efan wrote:

Both Nana and Chii were considered as some of the most moe examples. Chii was the champion of the most favorite female anime character in 2002; Nana won the first round of SaiMoe 2005 but lost to Setsuna Sakurazaki of Negima in the second round. Haven't seen Excel Saga myself so I can't make any comment.

Excel is crazy. I'm not really sure if I'd consider her moe. I suppose you can but she's definately not in the same category as Chii and Nana.

darkchibi07 wrote:
I'm just wondering when the "official" contest begins once you get the logistics straightened out.

As much as I'd love to get an "official" one started, I really need permission from tempest to make it truely an official ANN Moe Tournament. I've tried but have yet to get permission.

Thanks guys for all your suggestions! I thought this thread was going to end up a failure. I'd still like to have some more nominees before I make the list, so anymore suggestions would be appretiated.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 3:12 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
abunai wrote:

You are welcome. However, I see that you might get it wrong. Hermès is nowhere tsundere. See the screencap:

It featured Suzuka Asahina of Suzuka as the example. Basically, it's a type of female protagonists who is cold and aloof most of the time, especially in front of the male protagonist. However, she is in love with him -- in many cases, she doesn't even acknowledge being lovestruck. When she's with her female friends, she spends most of the time telling how annoying he is, until her friends point out "you keep talking about him; are you in love with him?" Then she blushes and denies. Very stereotypical. Anime smile + sweatdrop

Ah, I see. I believe I was confusing "aloofness" with "unattainability". I'd considered the aloofness to be an innate class, rather than a demonstrated attitude. Hermès isn't emotionally aloof, but rather (apparently) unattainable by virtue of her superior social standing.

dormcat wrote:
I'd say the most famous tsundere example should be Naru Narusegawa (you said so yourself without knowing Wink ).

Actually, not "without knowing". I was clear on the concept of the "Naru-type" being an example of tsundere, but not on the full understanding of tsundere. I'm clear on it now.

dormcat wrote:
Hatena Diary uses Akiha Tohno of Tsukihime as the prime example. More info can be found at ツンデレ初心者の方へ.

Right... hmm. So would you say that Tendou Akane from Ranma½ is a classic case of tsundere?

dormcat wrote:
abunai wrote:

Ah, a pity. How about the dialogue between Sasahara and Madarame discussing the perfect moe character (osananajimi + nekomimi + maid + class rep + bandage + glasses + clumsy + tsundere (?))?

You know, my memory is drawing a blank on that scene... which episode is it in?

dormcat wrote:
BTW, just got my Genshiken vol. 3 (plus YKK vol. 13 and Aria vol. 7) today. Laughing

Be glad I don't have arms that stretch all the way to Taiwan, or I'd throttle you out of sheer envy... Wink
Feels like it's about time to send off for another batch of goodies from amazon.co.jp.

Small aside on buying manga: Danish stores carry the Danish translations, and specialty stores also carry the (U.S.) English translations. The exception is Tenjou Tenge, which has been so atrociously censored in the U.S. edition that the specialty stores have taken to ordering the Japanese version and stocking it on shelves right next to the American version. I see a lot of people buying both versions.

dormcat wrote:
Efan wrote:

I'd buy Nana and Chii as obvious moe. I don't see Excel as moe. She's obviously a comic figure instead of an object of desire/affection. I'd be more inclined to see Hyatt as moe, but even that is stretching it.

I mentioned a bunch of what I considered clear examples of moe in my first post in this thread, so I'll just point to that.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 3:39 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
Right... hmm. So would you say that Tendou Akane from Ranma½ is a classic case of tsundere?

Agreed. Man, I completely forgot about her. Anime catgrin + sweatdrop

abunai wrote:
You know, my memory is drawing a blank on that scene... which episode is it in?

Can't remember either, but I'm sure it's during the preview (after ED theme).

abunai wrote:
I mentioned a bunch of what I considered clear examples of moe in my first post in this thread, so I'll just point to that.

Mmm, when shall we start formal nomination?
Efan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 6:52 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:

abunai wrote:

I think we should have PantsGoblin decide the rules and then get the the nominations ASAP.
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Efan wrote:
dormcat wrote:

abunai wrote:

I think we should have PantsGoblin decide the rules and then get the the nominations ASAP.

I've put together a list of characters from the suggestions so far. I've added in a few more myself too. The ideal number I'd like to have for this tournament would be 16. Haven't quite reached that yet here's the list:

Karen Onodera from Please Twins!
Tokiko Mima (Key) from Key the Metal Idol
Christmas from Kurau: Phantom Memory
Ayumi Yamada (Ayu) from Honey and Clover
Chii from Chobits
Nana from Elfen Lied
Teletha Testarossa (Tessa) from Full Metal Panic!
Shinobu Maehara from Love Hina
Misuzu Kamio from Air
Chise from SaiKano
Sora Hasegawa from Ah! My Goddess

That's 11. I would like to have 5 more if possible. Bleach is a pretty poplular anime and abunai suggested a few characters from them. I haven't seen Bleach so if anybody could tell me the best two choices from them I would appretiate it. Any more suggestions would be appretiated too.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 10:23 pm Reply with quote
PantsGoblin wrote:
The ideal number I'd like to have for this tournament would be 16.

Orz. If that's what in your mind, I wouldn't provide further assistance.

Come on. Think big. Negima alone has 31+4 girls (and that's anime only) plus two shouta. The original SaiMoe 2005 lasted THREE MONTHS. We don't need ours to be that big, but only 16...there's no need for nomination then. Anime dazed

PantsGoblin wrote:
I would like to have 5 more if possible.

The easiest pick would be Ichigo Mashimaro. Exactly five girls, all (eh, maybe except one) are moe. In addition to Ichigo Mashimaro, series like Pani Poni Dash!, PetoPeto-san, Bottle Fairy, and most characters designed by Koge Donbo can be considered as moe examples. They were designed to be moe.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9