• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Dragon Ball Z Dub.DVD - Rock the Dragon Edition

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
theoriginalbilis

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:23 pm Reply with quote
An interesting perspective in this review, definitely worth the read.

Though I very much disagree with the notion that the uncut DBZ is "drearily serious." I mean, yeah, the show has it serious and somewhat dark moments, but overall the show has an upbeat atmosphere with plenty of light moments, even though I will admit the slow pacing does drag the quality down quite a bit. Any show with this silly (but fun) opening isn't going to be super-serious all the time: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHnfX1RmZX8

Though I grew up on this dub (and I still quite like the voice actors), there's no point in me buying it, since I already own the limited edition Dragon Boxes. I guess if one has to have this exact same version with the poor editing, musical score, and dialogue, then go for it. I'd say don't bother though.

Otherwise the only DBZ I'll ever recommend people go with are the manga, the uncut DBZ, or Kai.
SahgoDN

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:05 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
I know I personally have a preference for some of the Ocean voices when compared to some of the Funimation voices (Peter Kelamis to Sean Schemmel (...)).

Really? I've always been more of a Ian James Corlett guy myself : D

Though we all know who really is the best Goku:

Steve Blum.

I kid, I kid, that was a terrible take on the character.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Eh, I thought Corlett was a bit bland. Way more consistent than Kelamis, though, who could be all over the place (but nailed it in the movies).

Yeah, I think it's best we forget about Final Bout altogether. Except for the soundtrack. Hironobu Kageyama dominated.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
GracieLizzy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:25 pm Reply with quote
I though Ocean Group used the "Dragon, Dragon, Ball, Dragonball ZZZEEE!" OP not "Rock The Dragon"?
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:32 pm Reply with quote
GracieLizzy wrote:
I though Ocean Group used the "Dragon, Dragon, Ball, Dragonball ZZZEEE!" OP not "Rock The Dragon"?

It did.

YamadaKun wrote:
-snip-

Okay. We get it. You're very opinionated. Doesn't mean you can insult other people.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Penguintruth wrote:
We all complain about DBZ being milked, but it's allowing Funimation to afford a more worthwhile release.

We're all tired of gimmicks. We just want to see DBZ get a proper release without any more needless issues that tend to fuel fanboy rage.
GVman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:32 pm Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:

Dragon Boxes - OOP, bad colors
Orange Boxes - Faux widescreen, auto-filtering

I'm pretty sure the orange boxes are the ones with the janky colors.

I also remember a survey Funi sent out some time ago trying to see if there was any interest in them continuing the really nice DBZ BD remastered sets. Has there been any more word on that?[/quote]
Raikuro

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:34 pm Reply with quote
I could've sworn I've seen clips of the Ocean dub going through the Cell saga. Is there any reason they can't get us those episodes? Or are we just stuck with the episodes America only saw through syndication and Toonami reruns?
Melicans

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:15 pm Reply with quote
GracieLizzy wrote:

Depends where you lived when you watched it. In Canada, where Ocean Group is based, It was the "Dragon, Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z"; possibly in a few other locations too. In America, however, it was "Rock the Dragon", and it is to American fans that this release it catered to.

Raikuro wrote:
I could've sworn I've seen clips of the Ocean dub going through the Cell saga. Is there any reason they can't get us those episodes? Or are we just stuck with the episodes America only saw through syndication and Toonami reruns?

Because this release is catered to the American audience. Funimation actually owned the North American license from the very beginning but outsourced the dubbing to Ocean Group initially (Kanzenshuu explains the confusions here). Funimation stopped outsourcing to Ocean Group at episode 54 and began to dub it in-house. Ocean continued to dub the series for other markets, primarily the UK. Canada actually got both dubs, which I think no other English-speaking country did.
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:28 pm Reply with quote
This is interesting to see, I never thought Funimaton would release the original Toonami broadcast censored version of DBZ with the Ocean Group dub in my lifetime. So looks like Funimation is targeting people with nostalgia that grew up with the old dub?

Although some of you may not like this release, I welcome it!!! Very Happy

Why?? Because this is the version that got us into DBZ and anime overall, if it wasn't for that broadcast version many of us wouldn't be on this site today. So you should be thankful for Funimation for releasing this version. Also we could use this version to teach future anime fans how anime was censored back in the late 90's before the demand of uncut anime and the advent of streaming sites (ie: Hulu, Youtube, etc...) in order for anime to get exposure. So yes I'm happy Funimation release this, the Toonami broadcast dub is a real treasure and I'm glad Funi release this. Now future anime fans can watch both the Toonami version and the uncut version to compare how anime faced censorship in the late 90's.

Now, seeing this already getting released. Is there ways for Funimation to release the Harmony Gold dub of Dragonball on DVD (yes the 5 episodes, and Movie 1 and 3 that were done by Harmony Gold on 3 discs maybe along with a booklet that explain about the history of the dub done by Harmony Gold).

Dragonball: Harmony Gold intro. OK, I will praise HG for keeping the original music intro intact, but the English lyrics sound uhh, cheesy, so Funimation translated version won that round, but HG kept the 80's feel of the intro music intact (I have a thing for 80's music BTW).

clip and history of the HG dub #1, and #2. I'll admit the dub kinda aged a bit but yeah it's kinda charming to me. If Funimation is reading this, can you get the Harmony Gold version and release it for the fans of old dub and DBZ fanatics. The HG dub is a real treasure for DB fans and old dub fans. Again, we should have get that dub release to show and teach future generation anime fans about DB. It's good to teach history of anime in the US to future anime fans using these old dub.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:44 pm Reply with quote
^ If you look hard on the internet you can maybe find the Harmony Gold special that combined DB Movies 1 and 3. I have it on my computer from an old VHS rip I discovered (also have the official DVDs w/ FUNi dub). It's certainly an interesting watch, but it's too niche to warrant it's own release.

GracieLizzy wrote:

That was the AB Groupe dub done with Westwood Media for the second half of the series for Europe and Canadian markets. They brought Ocean back for that though, it's technically not the same dub.
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:52 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
^ If you look hard on the internet you can maybe find the Harmony Gold special that combined DB Movies 1 and 3. I have it on my computer from an old VHS rip I discovered (also have the official DVDs w/ FUNi dub). It's certainly an interesting watch, but it's too niche to warrant it's own release.

Well Funi was nice enough to release the Toonami broadcast version (which is Rock the Dragon edition) on DVDs. Who knows, they may release the Harmony Gold dub in the future, I like to see the HG version on DVD from Funimation.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:58 pm Reply with quote
I could see it as maybe an extra since it's (supposedly) so short (I've also heard it covered 50 episodes since the Spanish dub based on it lasted that long). It might not even exist anymore. I suppose FUNi could release the movie and only the movie if they wanted as an extra on some giant future boxset. The cuts and edits in the HG dub are so basic, they could probably sync it to the remastered footage. Though interestingly, that dub got textless footage of the 2nd opening and movie 3 ending, which FUNi never did. Like I said, that dub is incredibly niche, so such a release is unlikely. The 1995 dub would be a better option, but that's been released to DVD before (but so was the dub on the RtD set).
LaSean

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:07 pm Reply with quote
YamadaKun wrote:
Why in the hell was crap like this made? Riding off nostalgia, huh? Well, nostalgia's only good when the things you liked as a kid were any GOOD. People didn't care about quality when they were kids. This dub is horrible. It is. The voice acting is OTT and cheesy, the script is terrible, the music isn't music at all, the editing is horrible and overall this dub is failure, just like the in house portion. Why can't these dubs die in a fire or something?
Why in the hell do you care? It's not like they are forcing you to buy it. Let people enjoy whatever version they want, it's their money not yours. You elitist and purist are so annoying.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:34 am Reply with quote
Melicans wrote:

Raikuro wrote:

Because this release is catered to the American audience. Funimation actually owned the North American license from the very beginning but outsourced the dubbing to Ocean Group initially (Kanzenshuu explains the confusions here). Funimation stopped outsourcing to Ocean Group at episode 54 and began to dub it in-house. Ocean continued to dub the series for other markets, primarily the UK. Canada actually got both dubs, which I think no other English-speaking country did.
Wait a sec, there exists a dub of DBZ with the Ocean Group, a dub where Chris Sabat wasn't "half the cast", for all of DBZ?! And it doesn't really exist in the US?!

And the non-US fans have the audacity to complain that they don't have it as good as those in the US! Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7