• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Discotek Licenses Ghost Stories TV Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
E-Master

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:48 am Reply with quote
I love the Shin Chan English dub and its cool to see Discotek licensing another TV anime. To think that two years from now will be the 10th anniversary of the company and they have licensed a lot of TV anime already.
Supermutant

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:24 am Reply with quote
I hate the english dub of the show. This coming from a guy who likes dubs. Dub was just wrong for the show. Some of the stuff said really put me off with the characters.
zawa113

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:01 am Reply with quote
For me, the dub was at its best when it was pointing out tropes or lampshading stupidity. The line that went something like "I know, why don't you meet me at the abandoned construction site in the middle of nowhere on the bad side of town? Alone?" "Sure, sounds great!" had me in stitches, but some of the "shock value" dub lines, so to say, fell flat on me.
YamadaKun

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:20 am Reply with quote
I love how people love these "gag dubs" like this. If this was any other anime treated like this show, people would throw a bitch fit. I think it's because people grew up with this dub, even though there's a better dub out there. Nostalgia is strong. But no. Nostalgia is only good, when the things you reminisce about were good in the FIRST place. Like Super Mario Bros. That game was great as a kid and it's great as an adult. Batman TAS. Liked it as a teenager. Like it now. Ducktales. Liked it as a kid, though I grew up with the Cantonese dub, love it now with the original English VAs. That's called good nostalgia.
Kerberous

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:21 am Reply with quote
The show that was abridged before abridged series even existed.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:54 am Reply with quote
Best dub ever. I don't think I could ever bring myself to try and watch this show subtitled and I've gotten to a point where I usually prefer subs.
YamadaKun

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:01 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Best dub ever. I don't think I could ever bring myself to try and watch this show subtitled and I've gotten to a point where I usually prefer subs.

How does heavily bowdlerization=best dub ever? That's like saying Robotech or the French dub of Ranma are the best dubs ever.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:03 am Reply with quote
Sorry, dude, but you'd actually have to have a sense of humour to understand why it's the best dub ever. So you see the problem, I'm sure.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:41 am Reply with quote
Kurohei wrote:
Another anime that ADV did that also didn't follow the original Japanese script was Saiyuki. Just to a less extent.

Another dub that was changed for the better. Saiyuki can get very repetitive and boring without the comedy element that the ADV script introduced. The Bang Zoom dub of Gunlock and Reload were horrible in comparison, and probably the worst dub I've heard from them. However, that was due more to poor casting decisions than writing decisions, though the latter certainly didn't help.

I enjoyed the dub for Ghost Stories, but the show itself was pretty meh. It's definitely not a show I could marathon, as I found it pretty boring and would fall asleep after a few episodes.

Last edited by dragonrider_cody on Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:46 am; edited 1 time in total
YamadaKun

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:45 am Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
Kurohei wrote:
Another anime that ADV did that also didn't follow the original Japanese script was Saiyuki. Just to a less extent.

Another dub that was changed for the better. Saiyuki can get very repetitive and boring without the comedy element that the ADV script introduced. The Bang Zoom dub of Gunlock and Reload were horrible in comparison, and probably the worst dub I've heard from them. However, that was due more to poor casting decisions than writing decisions, though the latter certainly didn't help.

You obviously haven't watched Evangelion. That dub has not aged well in these 15 or so years. Was it ever good to begin with?
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:50 am Reply with quote
YamadaKun wrote:
dragonrider_cody wrote:
Kurohei wrote:

You obviously haven't watched Evangelion. That dub has not aged well in these 15 or so years. Was it ever good to begin with?

The Evangelion dub really has nothing to with Saiyuki. It was directed by Matt Greenfield. Steven Foster worked on Saiyuki. They were both ADV dubs, but what does Evangelion have to do with Saiyuki or Ghost Stories for that matter? Why even bring it up? The show doesn't even have any extensive comedy rewrites, unlike the other two.

And for what it's worth, while I don't consider it a great dub, the dub for Evangelion isn't bad for its time. There are a large number of far worse dubs from the later 90's, and not many that are much better.
partysmores

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:59 am Reply with quote
It's official. I love Discotek.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:08 am Reply with quote
Quote:
And for what it's worth, while I don't consider it a great dub, the dub for Evangelion isn't bad for its time. There are a large number of far worse dubs from the later 90's, and not many that are much better.

Indeed. Plus, Evangelion was the first show ADV dubbed, so you can't blame them for trying. They at least did a good job with making do with that they had and introducing this show to new fans.

And if you REALLY want to hear bad dubbing, watch Garzey's Wing. Here's a clip to some of the show's most horribly dubbed moments: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWru5o07j_I
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:46 am Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
Quote:

Indeed. Plus, Evangelion was the first show ADV dubbed, so you can't blame them for trying. They at least did a good job with making do with that they had and introducing this show to new fans.

And if you REALLY want to hear bad dubbing, watch Garzey's Wing. Here's a clip to some of the show's most horribly dubbed moments: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWru5o07j_I

I don't believe it was their first dub. I'm pretty sure some others dubs like Devil Hunter Yohko and Gunsmith Cats predate it slightly.
kazenoyume

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:16 am Reply with quote
This is the only gag dub that has really worked for me. Shin-chan is funny in small spurts but quickly starts to irritate me, and Hetalia (which is absolutely a gag dub. the original is silly, but the dub is entirely different) is bad to the point that I cannot watch it without getting upset.

But Ghost Stories is legitimately hilarious. I already have it all, but I'm excited to know that more people will now be introduced to its awesomeness.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4