• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kana Asumi Voices New Magical Girl in 3rd Madoka Magica Film

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:24 pm Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:
I feel like the only person who's known about this person's existence (at least, in Magical Girl form) since I watched the trailer after the second movie in theaters in Japan. I recently took a picture of the Blu-Ray's clearer release to show a friend (sorry for the big size):

[EDIT]Wait. This girl in my picture has short hair and different kinds of pigtails/buns...
Are there more? ._.

The girl's silhouette appears to be wearing a snow-cap (the kind with the dangly ties)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:24 pm Reply with quote
weird double post
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Momokochan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:32 pm Reply with quote
dats Charlotte
Kyoshinhei
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:34 pm Reply with quote
The date of the French screening has recently been changed to November 22 and preorders have started.
Juno016

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:07 am Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:
Juno016 wrote:
I feel like the only person who's known about this person's existence (at least, in Magical Girl form) since I watched the trailer after the second movie in theaters in Japan. I recently took a picture of the Blu-Ray's clearer release to show a friend (sorry for the big size):

[EDIT]Wait. This girl in my picture has short hair and different kinds of pigtails/buns...
Are there more? ._.

The girl's silhouette appears to be wearing a snow-cap (the kind with the dangly ties)

Exactly. So where's the rest of her hair from this new character design? None of the characters except spoiler[Ultimate Madoka] ever change their hair style/length in Magical Girl form, so I'm really curious...
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:28 am Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:
octopodpie wrote:
Juno016 wrote:

Are there more? ._.

Exactly. So where's the rest of her hair from this new character design? None of the characters except spoiler[Ultimate Madoka] ever change their hair style/length in Magical Girl form, so I'm really curious...

The tights don't match either. It's entirely possible the design changed from trailer to finish, but otherwise I would assume they're different characters.
YamadaKun

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:55 am Reply with quote
Why don't they splash some money on these damned films? They look no better than the TV series, which had artwork and visuals inferior to both Gundam 00/Code Geass series. Not to mention, the art and character designs were lame anyway. The art is just generic moe BS. Also, why does this show have fans? It was never that good. It's overrated, overhyped and hasn't done anything. Also, the show is not deep and the music, while good can't mask this show's failings. This show is why I don't like new anime. -_-
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:56 am Reply with quote
yay, Yamada is here to educate us.
Juno016

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:12 am Reply with quote
YamadaKun wrote:
Why don't they splash some money on these damned films? They look no better than the TV series, which had artwork and visuals inferior to both Gundam 00/Code Geass series. Not to mention, the art and character designs were lame anyway. The art is just generic moe BS. Also, why does this show have fans? It was never that good. It's overrated, overhyped and hasn't done anything. Also, the show is not deep and the music, while good can't mask this show's failings. This show is why I don't like new anime. -_-

Wasn't that part of the point? It's been a looooong time since I've looked at the old interviews, but didn't they want misleading character designs? Aokiume didn't even know spoiler[the characters were going to go to hell] until she finally saw the script.
There's nothing really wrong with your view, so don't get me wrong. Your experience with the show and your opinion as a result of that experience are yours alone and no one should tell you what to think, but I'm curious... It's been lauded as a "masterpiece" through many channels, gained a mainstream public following in Japan outside of its intended otaku audience, and at least been rated high by many of those who do criticize it heavily. Personally, I find it to be one of the most powerful things to come out of the "anime" field in decades. So...

...What exactly about it disappointed you? Why do you think it's not "deep"...? Production values could've been better in some respects, for sure, but aside from that, what really irked you and made you feel so strongly against it?
jet_

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:23 am Reply with quote
Let the speculah begin!

/a/ wrote:
百江なぎさ

百江 (Momoe) = Hundred Rivers
なぎさ (Nagisa) = Shore

Could she be the convergence of timelines?

>Homura will have to kill her to avoid the end of the worlds.

Quote:
Madoka's family, Sayaka, Hitomi, the classmates, the teacher, Mami, Kyosuke and Kyoko. All of their hair colors matches their eyes

Except for Homura. Black hair and blue eyes
Ultimate Madoka. Pink hair and amber eyes
Nagisa. White hair and amber eyes

Confirmed for Madoka's and Homura's lovechild.

Oh, and please don't reply to YamadaKun. He's either trolling, or really stupid.
Juno016

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:38 am Reply with quote
jet_ wrote:
Oh, and please don't reply to YamadaKun. He's either trolling, or really stupid.

I understand how the internet is and how trolls work, but I also feel it's equally disrespectful to treat someone who isn't trying to troll as a troll. His opinion is critical to the show and has a different reasoning than our opinion. I'm interested in him elaborating on that because it's important to me to explore people's views who I don't necessarily agree with, so I asked. I never got to ask before, like I wanted to, because all of his posts had gotten deleted. I hope that this time, we can all be a little more respectful and treat each other with a little more dignity. If no one has anything productive towards reaching a mutual conclusion to say, then I ask that they stay out of the conversation. Still, it'd be nice to have the discussion open to the public, so if it derails the topic too much, we can just move to the main Madoka forum topic itself. I just wanted to ask in the topic now before others started pounding on him like last time...
YamadaKun

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:05 am Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:
Wasn't that part of the point? It's been a looooong time since I've looked at the old interviews, but didn't they want misleading character designs? Aokiume didn't even know spoiler[the characters were going to go to hell] until she finally saw the script.
There's nothing really wrong with your view, so don't get me wrong. Your experience with the show and your opinion as a result of that experience are yours alone and no one should tell you what to think, but I'm curious... It's been lauded as a "masterpiece" through many channels, gained a mainstream public following in Japan outside of its intended otaku audience, and at least been rated high by many of those who do criticize it heavily. Personally, I find it to be one of the most powerful things to come out of the "anime" field in decades. So...

...What exactly about it disappointed you? Why do you think it's not "deep"...? Production values could've been better in some respects, for sure, but aside from that, what really irked you and made you feel so strongly against it?

What disappointed me? Pretty much everything. Let's start with the artwork. The artwork is generic as all hell. The typical, cutesy, moe character design. I've always hated those character designs, but here, it's just exacerbated. Also, the design of those clown witches or whatever are [expletive] atrocious. Atrocious. It looks worse than some US cartoons.

The visuals are nothing to write home about. Compared to Code Geass R2, from nearly 3 years prior, it fails hard. R2 had near OVA quality visuals and it was 25 episodes, mind you. If R2 had near OVA quality visuals and is only 25 episodes, so can a 13 episode anime. Too bad the visuals are sub par.

The plot is thin. There really isn't a plot to the first few episodes and even the "plot" episodes are thin. That shitty episode with Homura sucked and ripped off Groundhog day.

The voice acting was sub par. Didn't watch the dub, because there wasn't one available, plus I generally prefer things in their original language. With that being said, the Japanese version still sucks. Aoi Yuki is annoying, Homura's voice put me to sleep, Kyubey's voice is grating. Also, I don't like any of the VAs anyway, so the chance of me liking the voice overs in this is nigh impossible.

The show tries too hard to be deep, when it's not. It's shallow and pretentious, just like Evangelion, which is part of my next point.

It tries to hard to be like the "Evangelion of the 2010s" or something. Why the fudge would anyone want to rip off another overrated, overhyped piece of shit? EVA sucked and this is naturally ripping it off, so it sucks too.

The fans are annoying. Fans like dtm42 think this show is factually good, when it isn't, shoves it down other people's throats, they get defensive, just an awful fanbase in general. Horrible fanbase.

Those are the reasons why this show sucks in my mind.

Last edited by YamadaKun on Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:16 am; edited 2 times in total
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:09 am Reply with quote
I think what he really hated about it was the loud wooshing sound of the point sailing over his head.
YamadaKun

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:21 am Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
I think what he really hated about it was the loud wooshing sound of the point sailing over his head.

Wrong. It was those reasons I stated above. Also, you're not helping yourself. You're getting defensive over some overrated cartoon for young adult men. Madoka fans are worse than MLP fans. They generally are. Also, I understand Madoka. Anyone can. It's not a good anime. Compared to G Gundam, Gundam X, Big O, Cowboy Bebop, Outlaw Star, Escaflowne, Turn A Gundam, Gundam 0080, Gundam SEED and many other anime from the 90s and early 2000s, it falls flat on its ass.
jl07045

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:17 am Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:
If no one has anything productive towards reaching a mutual conclusion to say, then I ask that they stay out of the conversation.

You're the only one interested in mutual conclusion in that conversation. What you're actually doing is contributing to potentially another Madoka flamewar.

Anyway, unlike previous two, i'm actually interested in this movie if only to see if Urobuchi has some powder left (to say anything else in this story, not to make a new one). I'm a bit skeptical since the ending tied everything up well enough.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4