• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kana Asumi Voices New Magical Girl in 3rd Madoka Magica Film

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
YamadaKun

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:53 am Reply with quote
jl07045 wrote:
You're the only one interested in mutual conclusion in that conversation. What you're actually doing is contributing to potentially another Madoka flamewar.

If Madoka wasn't the way it was, then nobody would having these flamewars, would they? Also, I stated constructive points on why I think Madoka is a bad anime. I didn't say "hurr derp, Madoka sucks dick, if you like it, you're [slur removed]" or some sort of alternative.
Ryu Shoji

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:33 am Reply with quote
Considering how the trailer at the end of the movie strongly suggested that spoiler[Hitomi will become a Magical Girl], the cast is going to get pretty crowded.

I do wonder one thing though - Sayaka is being shown prominently in the promotional artwork and such, but spoiler[she was the only one to remain dead in the new timeline]. Hmm...

The ending themes for the movies shown off many different Magical Girl silhouettes. I wonder if we can match one of those up with Nagise?

Personally, I love the series a lot, but I felt that the ending was really complete. I'm both excited and hesitant about a sequel.
Sylontack

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:57 am Reply with quote
pinder_2009 wrote:
I really hope it doesn't turn out to be something like a member of the Incubator race gained emotions and was therefore able to turn into a magical girl and is now working to stop the other Incubators. Cause that would be cliche as hell.

I doubt it, but I believe one of the writers did joke that the subtitle should be "revenge of the incubator" or something Razz
machetecat

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:59 am Reply with quote
The Sailor Cosmos of the Magica world.
Juno016

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:59 am Reply with quote
YamadaKun wrote:
What disappointed me? Pretty much everything. Let's start with the artwork. The artwork is generic as all hell. The typical, cutesy, moe character design. I've always hated those character designs, but here, it's just exacerbated. Also, the design of those clown witches or whatever are [expletive] atrocious. Atrocious. It looks worse than some US cartoons.

The visuals are nothing to write home about. Compared to Code Geass R2, from nearly 3 years prior, it fails hard. R2 had near OVA quality visuals and it was 25 episodes, mind you. If R2 had near OVA quality visuals and is only 25 episodes, so can a 13 episode anime. Too bad the visuals are sub par.

The plot is thin. There really isn't a plot to the first few episodes and even the "plot" episodes are thin. That shitty episode with Homura sucked and ripped off Groundhog day.

The voice acting was sub par. Didn't watch the dub, because there wasn't one available, plus I generally prefer things in their original language. With that being said, the Japanese version still sucks. Aoi Yuki is annoying, Homura's voice put me to sleep, Kyubey's voice is grating. Also, I don't like any of the VAs anyway, so the chance of me liking the voice overs in this is nigh impossible.

The show tries too hard to be deep, when it's not. It's shallow and pretentious, just like Evangelion, which is part of my next point.

It tries to hard to be like the "Evangelion of the 2010s" or something. Why the fudge would anyone want to rip off another overrated, overhyped piece of shit? EVA sucked and this is naturally ripping it off, so it sucks too.

The fans are annoying. Fans like dtm42 think this show is factually good, when it isn't, shoves it down other people's throats, they get defensive, just an awful fanbase in general. Horrible fanbase.

Those are the reasons why this show sucks in my mind.

The artwork IS "generic," but they utilized it in a very interesting, intentional manner. Doesn't mean you have to like it, but it helped further its cause and was successful to many viewers on that front.
The witch designs, on the other hand, were a very interesting and attractive addition to me. I think we can really put that up to personal preference.

Code Geass R2 was part of an already-guaranteed success. The marketing for Madoka had high hopes, but due to the intentionally deceptive nature of the advertising, the sponsors did not put their hopes on the "next big hit." That said, the movie improves GREATLY on that front, fixing much of the animation mess ups. The visuals themselves, of course, are dependent on personal preference.

You're going to have to explain what you mean by "plot." Just about everything has a plot, and a "thin" plot is generally accepted as something that has one or maybe two layers of depth to it. Thin plots AREN'T a bad thing (contrary to popular belief), but from what I can see, Madoka had tons of layers of plot, ranging from surface level plot (Magical Girls saving the world) to complicated, meaningful plot developments that contribute to the message (spoiler[Sayaka choosing to become a Magical Girl, but then losing her way as a result of her own wish contradicting itself and the loss of her physical humanity, turning her into a witch and, as a result, complicating the drive of the main characters to keep pushing along]). The episode with Homura "rips off" spoiler[groundhog's day just as much as every other time loop story in existence. Groundhog's day wasn't the first story of its nature, and neither was it the last, nor did it have to be. The loop contributed to Homura's motive and the audience's understanding of her actions in the past, so it had a lot of meaning in the context of the show.]

Ironically, Madoka was praised in Japan for its powerful voice acting--especially Kyuubey and Homura. But this is dependent on personal preference again, so there's no point in debating what you feel about it.

I don't know how a show can be "pretentious." Or how it can "try" to be deep. You might need to reword that in a way that explains what you're trying to say clearer. I explained a bit of the depth above, but I don't see how any of it could be "pretentious."

And for the comparison to evangelion... I never understood the connection people made. Aside from the ending involving spoiler[sacrifice] and the shows altogether spoiler[characterizing imminent despair], the two shows have COMPLETELY different messages and methods of storytelling. Evangelion has more history behind it, but Madoka made a very similar first footprint in Japan.

And on the contrary, I've met a ton of great fans of Madoka who are all open to criticism on the show. The "bad" fans you're talking about are probably just the inevitable "elitist" types who don't like bad-talk about any of the shows they care about. That certainly isn't the fault of the show, though I can see where you're coming from. It's popular and these types like to flock to these kinds of things. And when they like them, they defend them.

Quote:
You're the only one interested in mutual conclusion in that conversation. What you're actually doing is contributing to potentially another Madoka flamewar.

Anyway, unlike previous two, i'm actually interested in this movie if only to see if Urobuchi has some powder left (to say anything else in this story, not to make a new one). I'm a bit skeptical since the ending tied everything up well enough.

Let me re-word that, since it's not actually what I meant. I'm interested in alternate opinions so that I (and maybe others who are also interested) can further my understanding of the work as a whole and how it interacts with its audience.

As for the story, Urobuchi rejected the idea of a sequel series until he finally saw it broadcast. Then, he thought of an idea and jotted it down. The reviewers for the manuscript liked it a lot, but it was too short for a full series, so they decided on making a film out of it. So I have hopes that Urobuchi still has his charm. If you ask me, the story may have something to do with spoiler[the new magical girl(s) rebelling against Ultimate Madoka's new universe, due to its inefficiency to purifying their gems. And, obviously, Homura would have to fight them to protect what Madoka fought for, all the while coming to terms with the new system and what the other girls might be saying.] --but that's a self-made theory. It just makes sense in many ways and I think there are plenty of possibilities on making a good sequel without destroying the original message (Urobuchi is experienced at reconstructing themes, so he could easily tear down the message of the TV series, just to build it up again even more solid than before).

Quote:
Considering how the trailer at the end of the movie strongly suggested that spoiler[Hitomi will become a Magical Girl], the cast is going to get pretty crowded.

I do wonder one thing though - Sayaka is being shown prominently in the promotional artwork and such, but spoiler[she was the only one to remain dead in the new timeline]. Hmm...

The ending themes for the movies shown off many different Magical Girl silhouettes. I wonder if we can match one of those up with Nagise?

Personally, I love the series a lot, but I felt that the ending was really complete. I'm both excited and hesitant about a sequel.

1) Hitomi is suggested to have a bigger role in the film, but nothing suggests she'll become a Magical Girl. It would be interesting, though.
2) The new promotion material has a LOT of weird inconsistencies with the show, which intrigues me. For instance, in the first trailer, spoiler[Kyouko is wearing the Mitakihara school outfit, talking across from a table to a glasses-wearing, braided Homura] and in the second trailer, spoiler[Homura isn't wearing the red ribbons Madoka gave her and all 5 Magical Girls are assembled and holding out their soul gems.]
3) None match up with her normal outfit, nor do they match up with the silhouette in the first trailer. It's no proof of anything, but the fact that none of this makes sense just makes me more and more intrigued...!
jl07045

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:42 am Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:
And for the comparison to evangelion... I never understood the connection people made. Aside from the ending involving spoiler[sacrifice] and the shows altogether spoiler[characterizing imminent despair], the two shows have COMPLETELY different messages and methods of storytelling. Evangelion has more history behind it, but Madoka made a very similar first footprint in Japan.

Apart from the surface-level existentialism that both stories exert, I see nothing in common. Some fans have simply created a rivalry between the shows that is based on their seemingly similar cultural significance and popularity (as big as Madoka was/is, there's really no comparison) and artistic worth (that'll keep them going for millenia).

Quote:
As for the story, Urobuchi rejected the idea of a sequel series until he finally saw it broadcast. Then, he thought of an idea and jotted it down. The reviewers for the manuscript liked it a lot, but it was too short for a full series, so they decided on making a film out of it. So I have hopes that Urobuchi still has his charm.

I have a much lower opinion about his "charm" than you do so I'll stay skeptical. Your guess seems probable to me considering the themes of his two latest anime works.
tasogarenootome

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:05 pm Reply with quote
I'm kinda torn. I thought the series wrapped up reasonably well, but the plot to the third movie sounds interesting. It sounds like the second movie changed a few things as well. If it plays close by, I may have to check this out.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:18 pm Reply with quote
tasogarenootome wrote:
It sounds like the second movie changed a few things as well.

spoiler[It didn't. The first two movies left the story untouched from head to toe, at most cutting out some not-so-relevant scenes]

(not sure if that needed to be spoilered, but who knows, people get sensitive over stuff)

I share your torn feelings. While I'm not a fan of the ending, it wrapped everything up and I'm worried this is just a way to milk more cash from the cow and that it won't be half as good as the original

Quote:
I didn't say "hurr derp, Madoka sucks dick, if you like it, you're [slur removed]" or some sort of alternative.

Of course you didn't. You just said "The character design is bad, the witches are bad, the voice acting is bad, the plot is bad, the music is bad, everything is bad, shallow and pretentious". If that's not constructive, I don't know what is Laughing

Honestly, I'm far from being a Madoka supremacist like dtm42, but comparing it to Evangelion and Code Geass? I think both are better than Madoka, but they have nothing in common with each other, why are they even being compared? The only common point between PMMM and NGE is the indecisive protagonist, and the only thing CG and PMMM have in common is the theme of sacrifice -and they address it in completely different ways-.
Ryu Shoji

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:

1) Hitomi is suggested to have a bigger role in the film, but nothing suggests she'll become a Magical Girl. It would be interesting, though.
2) The new promotion material has a LOT of weird inconsistencies with the show, which intrigues me. For instance, in the first trailer, spoiler[Kyouko is wearing the Mitakihara school outfit, talking across from a table to a glasses-wearing, braided Homura] and in the second trailer, spoiler[Homura isn't wearing the red ribbons Madoka gave her and all 5 Magical Girls are assembled and holding out their soul gems.]
3) None match up with her normal outfit, nor do they match up with the silhouette in the first trailer. It's no proof of anything, but the fact that none of this makes sense just makes me more and more intrigued...!

Also, in the new poster, Homura has her old spoiler[timeline resetting weapon, instead of the bow she has in the series' final timeline]. I'm guessing then, that this film will explore multiple timelines as well.

In regards to Hitomi, fair point. Also, if she did spoiler[become a Magical Girl], she'd probably be on this latest poster. I also wonder how Sayaka will be handled - spoiler[because she's dead, will she be relegated to flashbacks?]
Adamb15

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:59 am Reply with quote
MagicallyDelicious wrote:
Just throwing this out there - what if it's Kyubey? lol

I'm having mixed feelings about this movie, I love Madoka but throwing in another girl, I dunno... I thought the cast was fine.

Hah, great minds think alike.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:03 am Reply with quote
Adding a new girl seems unnecessary to me too. The cast was already great. If my previous theory is correct, then this new girl will exist just for the sake of selling figures and merch (much like Mari in Rebuild of Evangelion, who in two movies has managed to do absolutely nothing of relevance)
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:09 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
Adding a new girl seems unnecessary to me too. The cast was already great. If my previous theory is correct, then this new girl will exist just for the sake of selling figures and merch (much like Mari in Rebuild of Evangelion, who in two movies has managed to do absolutely nothing of relevance)

Of course, you could on the other hand have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

Which is far, far more likely.
Juno016

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:32 am Reply with quote
Ryu Shoji wrote:
Also, in the new poster, Homura has her old spoiler[timeline resetting weapon, instead of the bow she has in the series' final timeline]. I'm guessing then, that this film will explore multiple timelines as well.

That's a HUGE misconception in the story. According to an interview with one of the creators (I forgot which--I think it was in the guidebook), spoiler[Homura was created with the bow and arrow in mind (as shown in her default character design), but it wasn't that powerful at all, so she used other weapons instead. Unless she can shoot purple beams out of her guns, it's likely that the purple beams being shot at Kyuubey in the beginning of the series came from that bow. I think Urobuchi was the one who said something like, "I never intended for people to get the idea that she got the bow later on." And, of course, her powers rely on her time magic, so she still has the shield. Throughout the series, it would disappear on her wrist, so I'm sure she only has it out when she needs it.]
bhl88

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:26 am Reply with quote
Oh so she still has the machine gun? And her explosive ordinance as well? Probably her golf club too, since it's a treasure from Madoka...
CrowLia

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:39 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
CrowLia wrote:

Of course, you could on the other hand have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

Which is far, far more likely.

I'm perfectly sure of what I'm talking about. What I don't know is whatever on Earth you are talking about. But I suppose, with obscure one-liner replies that serve no purpose but to insult, no one can ever expect to do so
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4