• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Revolutionary Girl Utena - The Student Council Saga

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EireformContinent

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 3:30 pm Reply with quote
For objective reviews ANN should have a dungeon full of virgins of both sexes who was never spoiled by any form of art and culture. Release one for each review and throw away after that act. Very Happy And then marry them to the staff, that nobody will be scared by this practice.
utawoutau

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Utena is in my top three favorite anime of all time. Its not a perfect show, but on the whole the show is so impressive that I cannot help but love it. I even love the Black Rose arc. I can understand why people complain that it can drag, and that it seems like the story takes a detour, but I enjoy how the tone gets darker, and that the series focuses on characters that in other shows would have stayed completely background.

And honestly, the two Wakaba episodes in the Black Rose arc are simply some of the best in the entire series. But we shouldn't be talking about this, that's the next set. This review is for the Student Council Arc.

_Emi_ wrote:

The Rose of Versailles did nothing for you? I'm not sure if Utena would have been the same without it.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that many fans (even the ones who would really enjoy it) have never seen The Rose of Versailles, especially given that it has never seen an official release in North America.
EireformContinent

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
it has never seen an official release in North America.

Since when it is a problem? Rolling Eyes
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Oooh, must get!

I actually like the dub or at least everyone's voices. Especially Utena's. I LOVE Utena's English voice Very Happy
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 4:28 pm Reply with quote
utawoutau wrote:
I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that many fans (even the ones who would really enjoy it) have never seen The Rose of Versailles, especially given that it has never seen an official release in North America.

There was a French language version, Lady Oscar, part of which is still available from Amazon Canada.
Julia-the-Great

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 6:04 pm Reply with quote
I absolutely LOOOOVE Utena. So happy to finally get the chance to own all of it. I have the first volume of the old CPM release and... the video quality is absolute GARBAGE. So as soon as I popped in the first disc of the rerelease and saw how beautiful it looked... Surprised

Every Utena fan owes it to themself to own this set. Gorgeous. Simply gorgeous.
Saturn

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 6:09 pm Reply with quote
EireformContinent wrote:
Quote:
it has never seen an official release in North America.

Since when it is a problem? Rolling Eyes

that IS a problem for some series-- they may have found an audience with the vhs-circulation variety of fansub watchers, but a lot of those series never ended up being made available online, or only available in quality that would make your eyes bleed (just to check, I went to the couple of fansub streaming sites I could think of and looked up RoS, and it's there, but the pixelation is horrible).
It's kind of weird, because the whole tape-watching crowd would probably have tolerated that kind of quality, but these days we're far too spoiled by HD and whatnot Laughing I remember the first time I ever saw Utena was on nth-generation tapes, and I couldn't even make out what was going on in some of the episodes, the quality was so horrible, but I kept watching anyway.
Whippersnappers just don't understand!
ljaesch

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 6:38 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
One thing many fans complained about when the show was just leaking out in the late 90s was the endless use and re-use of the sequence where Utena enters the dueling arena and ascends that giant spiral staircase, and frankly, it's still kind of annoying today.

The reused footage of Utena going up the staircase never really bothered me too much. Maybe a big part of that has to do with the fact I grew up watching Voltron, a show that was notorious for reusing footage for the transformation sequence (of course, this type of reused footage is pretty typical for that kind of series). But what probably also helped keep me from getting annoyed with that reused footage is the song that accompanies it. I really, REALLY, like that song. Even though I haven't seen the series for about two years, I still can get that song stuck in my head.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Youkai Warrior

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 7:17 pm Reply with quote
I missed out on Utena in the late 90s early 2000s. I'm definitely getting this.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 7:44 pm Reply with quote
That's one of the 90s classics that I somehow missed out on. Perhaps I'll finally check it out.

How does the English dub get an "A" if it's not good? I mean, a tolerable dub should get at the most a "C+". Well, I guess it doesn't do any good to concentrate on the grades when there's a whole written review there. I only mention it because I've actually heard that the dub is decent. How bad can a dub with Rachael Lillis, Crispin Freeman, and Liam O'Brien be?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 7:56 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
How does the English dub get an "A" if it's not good? I mean, a tolerable dub should get at the most a "C+".

The dub itself doesn't get an A. The show overall with the dub gets an A. It's not a grade on the dub alone. That's why it says "Overall (dub)"
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 8:16 pm Reply with quote
So, rather than it being a grade on the dub itself, it's more of a message that the dub, as mediocre as it is, doesn't really take away much from the show overall.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 8:56 pm Reply with quote
That's about as much as Zac said on Tiwtter:
Quote:
'Dub' score is not just a score for the dub itself. It's the score for the show, dubbed. I don't feel the dub ruins the show.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 10:48 pm Reply with quote
utawoutau wrote:
There was a French language version, Lady Oscar, part of which is still available from Amazon Canada.

Unless it was shot in saturated color and all of the dialogue is sung, I'm not interested.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
yamata no orochi

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 11:29 pm Reply with quote
I don't have much to add to this conversation other than the fact that Revolutionary Girl Utena is genius, and that the show's rescue from Amazon $150 Hell is probably the most fortuitous license rescue in years. Now, if somebody would re-release Haibane Renmei...

(To be fair, Revolutionary Girl Utena doesn't become mindblowing until the Black Rose Arc, but stick through the personality-switching curry and the boxing kangaroo and you will be rewarded. Just remember that in Utena, every episode is important, even seeming filler episodes. Even recap episodes are important!)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6