• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Evil Answerman

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:04 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
I can't say I'm a big fan of how Justin skipped right over the part where I bring up how video companies let people make careers out of streaming the entirety of their games online without paying them so that he could jumped straight into turning a legitimate inquiry into a joke about "crushing my dreams" and helping me "dodge a bullet". I know my question revolved around the legality as far as anime is concerned, but I added the part with video game youtubers for a reason that I thought you'd catch on to. Basically, why are people like PewDiePie and TobyGames able to make livings off of the hard work of video game companies, but anime fans can't post AMVs without fear. I also added the part with R1 companies since it's been my understanding that anime clubs across the country used to work with R1 companies to do public screenings during the boom era. To, you know, avoid legal problems. Again, I thought maybe you would've read into that and extrapolated on it a little bit, but I was wrong yet again.
But thanks anyways, Justin!

I can't say I'm a big fan of your passive aggression and and your willful ignoring of the bullet points I listed, which basically indicated that streaming a whole anime is a complete replacement for the work, while streaming one person's experience with an interactive medium, while legally borderline, does not directly replace enjoying the copyrighted work and is therefore less likely to piss off copyright holders. I suppose I could've made that a little clearer, but it didn't seem to me to be the thrust of your question, which actually was, "would I have a legal problem doing this?" to which the answer is unequivocally "yes". But hey, hindsight being 20/20, if I were to do this column again I'd probably not answer this question at all. But oh well, thanks for your response!

cjovalle wrote:
I'm never a fan of blanket "that's absolutely illegal" answers. While the particular course of action is *very likely* copyright infringement, and more importantly the risk is likely too high for a reasonable person to proceed along those lines, copyright law is a lot squishier than some give it credit for. My go-to phrase when I teach copyright: the answer to almost every copyright question is "it depends."

What you're talking about are legal subtleties that would be applicable if such a case went to court. Very few, if any, fan-vs-company cases have ever gone that far. The real-world legal scenario here is, if he did it, it would get taken down and whatever service he used would likely ban his account after repeated attempts. So that world -- which is the world that we all actually live in -- is, in fact, very black and white about this one.

Last edited by jsevakis on Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:22 pm; edited 3 times in total
cjovalle

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:07 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
EireformContinent wrote:
What does fair use say about that? You can "quote" intellectual property without permission while criticising and reviewing, but does it make extract statement about "amount" of original work you can use? Common sense says that whole episode certainly violate all laws possible, but where is the borderline?

The standard is essentially "however much is necessary to do the legitimate criticism/review, and nothing more." In general application, this is going to be a relatively small amount. The amount "necessary" is rarely going to be high, because I could technically give a wide ranging critique of pretty much any media without showing a single screen shot or playing a single piece of audio from it. (This may vary quite a bit in the case of parody however, but that's another issue). Whether or not the exact amount you use is covered under fair use will be up to a judge. If he or she believes you used too much, they will hold you liable. If they think you took a reasonable amount, then you are fine.

There is no set standard, including minimal use. The law is 17 USC 107 and the related court cases valid in your jurisdiction. Fair use is not just about critique and reviewing. It varies wildly depending on the circumstance. There is no minimum use, and de minimus uses may not even require a fair use assertion (Sandoval v. New Line Cinema Corp., 147 F.3d 215 (2d Cir. 1998)). The amount used is one of the four factors and has to be considered in total with the others. EDIT: To clarify; amount is considered. Using less of the original material is less likely to be infringing than using more. But there are other things that also need to be considered.

Last edited by cjovalle on Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
cjovalle

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:09 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
I can't say I'm a big fan of how Justin skipped right over the part where I bring up how video companies let people make careers out of streaming the entirety of their games online without paying them so that he could jumped straight into turning a legitimate inquiry into a joke about "crushing my dreams" and helping me "dodge a bullet". I know my question revolved around the legality as far as anime is concerned, but I added the part with video game youtubers for a reason that I thought you'd catch on to. Basically, why are people like PewDiePie and TobyGames able to make livings off of the hard work of video game companies, but anime fans can't post AMVs without fear. I also added the part with R1 companies since it's been my understanding that anime clubs across the country used to work with R1 companies to do public screenings during the boom era. To, you know, avoid legal problems. Again, I thought maybe you would've read into that and extrapolated on it a little bit, but I was wrong yet again.

Because it's a different industry, and industry norms are different. Legally, the companies could attempt to yank the content from YouTube.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:23 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed reading this column. It has more "style" and "tonality" than the earlier ones. I thought it was amusing to see ANN's editor chime in on this thread to, ah, "expound" upon some of the answerman's replies given in the article(I do wish that he'd show that same level of snarkiness in the podcasts...).
answerman wrote:
Now, does send a stronger message to buy the Japanese version?

Something isn't right with that.

Anyhow, I'm glad to see that you gave buying the non-Japanese releases their due as I want to support the industry yet buying the Japanese home video releases just isn't in the cards for me as I don't want to spend a small fortune in shipping or send an anti-dub message by buying the J-releases instead of the non-J releases (and buying both isn't really an option I'd consider).[/quote]
MadMan400096

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:35 pm Reply with quote
So if one wants to see a certain anime on TV, the best bet would be to request the show to the network. Hm. (Totally sent the TV question, by the way. Honest.).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Raikuro wrote:
It's pretty obvious that Let's Plays can't replicate actually playing the game, so video game companies likely see it as free advertising, while doing the same thing with an anime is essentially replicating the entire product for free consumption.

AMVs and MADs get taken all the time. My list of sakuga MADs has been destroyed over the last year because of companies taking them down. How is a 3-5 minute compilation of snippets of various anime worthy of being removed, but not GoldGloves entire playthough of Last Of Us that shows every cut scene, every line of dialogue, keeps in every track of music, explores every nook and cranny of that game AND HE MAKES MONEY OFF IT okay?

That's the big thing: They make money off of it. But not just money, enough to make it a career. Off other peoples IPs that they don't have to pay for. How is that "skirting the line"?

Sure, doing lets plays doesn't give away the whole product like fansubs do, but the fact of the matter is that nowadays stories are a big part of games, and those big parts of the game are now up online for people to watch for free and for other people to make money off of. I think that's the trade off, honestly. With fansubs, you get the whole product, but no one's making money. With lets plays you only get part of the product, but someone gets to make some cash off of it.

It just seems the making money aspect of lets plays seems worse.

@Justin
You started your answer talking about how you were going "crush my dreams", gave a by the books answer in the middle, and ended it with projecting that it would've been terrible anyways and that I should be grateful you stepped in and prevented me from making an ass of myself.

I'm not sure how you expected me to respond to that, but imagine you thought I was a robot.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Barbobot

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:44 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:

AMVs and MADs get taken all the time. My list of sakuga MADs has been destroyed over the last year because of companies taking them down. How is a 3-5 minute compilation of snippets of various anime worthy of being removed, but not GoldGloves entire playthough of Last Of Us that shows every cut scene, every line of dialogue, keeps in every track of music, explores every nook and cranny of that game AND HE MAKES MONEY OFF IT okay?

For that you have to ask the companies holding the copyrights. I know Nintendo did take a stance against Let's Play and things like streaming Super Smash Bros during EVO, but they ended up reverting their stance on that. So it's not that they can't get stuff like that taken down, just that they don't.

And I feel your downplaying the interactive nature of games and how that doesn't come through on Let's Play videos. Sure, story is huge in some games, but the actual gameplay is still #1 and you can't get that unless you actually get the game yourself (except for maybe things like visual novels which pretty much have 0 presence over here so you may not even run into issues with those).
apopheniac

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:46 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:

Because some companies are more averse to the idea than others, and/or have better bots for the process. LPs in particular would have trouble, since the footage isn't completely identical.

It's less "one is more worthy" and more "it's harder to get caught doing this".
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Barbobot wrote:
And I feel your downplaying the interactive nature of games and how that doesn't come through on Let's Play videos. Sure, story is huge in some games, but the actual gameplay is still #1 and you can't get that unless you actually get the game yourself (except for maybe things like visual novels which pretty much have 0 presence over here so you may not even run into issues with those).

I didn't mean to sound like I was downplaying gameplay, because I know it's important and that's it number one. However, story is a closer number two than I think it's ever been. While people have always appreciated stuff like Zelda for it's attempts to make compelling stories, I don't remember there being a demand for good stories like there seem to be now. Maybe I'm too far out of the loop, because I admit to being only a casual gamer, but it doesn't take genius to realize that the stories in Pokemon and Mario games have gotten a lot more sophisticated over the years. I assume that's to adapt with the times, but I could be wrong.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sewingrose

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Let's Plays (at least specifically full ones of the entire game) are a violation of the IP laws, and a company has every right to order them taken down, along with AMVs and such similar things. Now will they is the main question, and often Let's Plays and other things are left alone. But it's far more likely for AMVs or whatever your suggesting to be taken down.

But the main point here is what's left up and taken down is at the companies discretion, so don't act like because these Let's Plays are left up, that your MST3K thing would be "okay" and not taken down.
Somewhere

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:04 pm Reply with quote
You're underestimating backlash by the gaming audience if companies take down stuff like LP's.
When the subject of Nintendo opting in to get a slice of the ad revenue for YouTube videos featuring their games (which, aside from being copyright holders anyway, they are allowed to do as specified in YouTube's own policies) came up as a news topic, it got a lot of attention. A lot of people disliked Nintendo for that.

In a way, this is similar to doujinshi in Japan. The audience has become accustomed enough to its existence, that trying to do something about it will probably just incur sufficient enough bad press to make it not worth pursuing.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:04 pm Reply with quote
I don't mind supporting a show, but the animators are still get paid shit for it, no matter which country of choice you pick. In fact, it's telling that the Japanese Blu-Ray of Kick-Heart is only about $20 MSRP, when, if it were made and released under different conditions-i.e. through a middle-man-it'd probably be $30-$40, and I.G. and Yuasa would be lucky if they can get $5 back from each disc sold.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:08 pm Reply with quote
cjovalle wrote:

There is no set standard, including minimal use. The law is 17 USC 107 and the related court cases valid in your jurisdiction. Fair use is not just about critique and reviewing. It varies wildly depending on the circumstance. There is no minimum use, and de minimus uses may not even require a fair use assertion (Sandoval v. New Line Cinema Corp., 147 F.3d 215 (2d Cir. 1998)). The amount used is one of the four factors and has to be considered in total with the others. EDIT: To clarify; amount is considered. Using less of the original material is less likely to be infringing than using more. But there are other things that also need to be considered.

I know that it varies depending on the circumstances (I think that was reflected in my post). We are talking specifically about critique/review, and he/she was asking how much is too much (i.e. one factor). That is what my response was tailored to. This is generic information here. If I wanted to give him a full fledged legal opinion based on the facts he was working with, that would require a lot more than what I think we are dealing with in this forum.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:21 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
You started your answer talking about how you were going "crush my dreams", gave a by the books answer in the middle, and ended it with projecting that it would've been terrible anyways and that I should be grateful you stepped in and prevented me from making an ass of myself.

I'm not sure how you expected me to respond to that, but imagine you thought I was a robot.

I submit that if you are the sort of person who gets butthurt if an idea of his isn't immediately met with a pat on the head or a "go get 'em, tiger" that writing into an internet column about your ideas is probably not a good idea.

As long as I answered your question in the way it was presented, I'm happy with my answer. Your weird anger at it not being what you wanted it to be is pretty much out of my control. Sorry man.

And this was in "just an idea" phase. I can only imagine how upset you'd get if someone told you something you'd actually put work into was a bad idea. Sheesh.
Vapors

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:25 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:

If I could hazard a guess (basically I have no law degree), perhaps the playthrough is their "creation," therefore, they have the rights to use the playthrough. The game is the "materials" used in creation of the playthrough. I admit, this is pretty flimsy of a defense so its the best thing I could think of. I imagine the real reason is closer to Somewhere's response that the amount of negative backlash plus costs for lawyers and court fees keep video game companies from spending too many resources on this.

Also, from a business perspective, how would one make money off this? As a hobby, sure go for it, although you could run afoul of copyright obstacles. But how would one attract people to these videos? You mentioned ANNCast with Zac and Justin and how people listen to them. People listen because they have unique perspectives on anime. Zac's been reporting on anime for about a decade I think (Anime Insider and ANN) while Justin founded ANN and works in the industry. Plus I find their views on anime interesting and can understand why they take certain positions. How would your viewpoints and perspectives differ in the vast sea of internet? And again, the big question, how to monetize the idea? I do find your idea of a collective viewing of anime interesting. I feel that in this day in age, anime watching has became a much more individual exercise rather than a communal one like I experienced back in my early days. But the two chief questions are, how does one attract people to this idea and then how would you turn those views into monetary value?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5