• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ANN on G4's Attack of the Show: Video and Transcript

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
silentjay

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:58 pm Reply with quote
bennyb wrote:
Am I the only one who felt that interviewer was a complete jerk and rushed the whole thing...

That's his job. It's a live TV show, and he has to keep things short in order to fit the alotted time slot. It's also the nature of the segment.

At the same time, AotS is arguably one of the low points of television culture, but you can't fault Pereira for doing his job. In the end, he was pretty fair about the whole thing.

bennyb wrote:
.... not to mention brought up some pretty stereotypical and naive representations of otaku?

Naive? Nope, it's pretty bang on with some people, and the point of the segement was about why fans are the way they are, and you can't avoid the stereotypical 'superfan' when discussing the nature of fandom. To use the sports fan example he used, you can't avoid mentioning the "giant overweight guy with the bright orange and blue face paint in the stands spilling beer", as that's arguably the most visible face of North American sports fandom.

[Edit: D'oh. That's what I get when I spend too long typing.]
x_Shinta_x

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 1:08 pm Reply with quote
This interview was a little stupid. They kept talking about the fans and not about the anime. Mays was trying to keep on the topic of the shows, and by the way he was absolutely brilliant, while the director dude was just kinda poking at anime fans. Kevin Pereira is not a programmer like Kevin Rose, not a blogger like Sarah Lane, and not an expert on technology like Will O'Neill. Pereira is an actor that played video games in college. This whole segment would be 1000000 times better with,
1. The guy who does DVDuesday, Chris Gore, not Pereira. Gore knows on screen culture in general, anime, movies, foreign films, you name it. He would be the most neutral on anime. He's seen anime, and he's seen things that are worse and things that are better. He's not a freak like Mrs. Pink-hair but he has seen his share of anime probubly.
2. Make the girl dress decently, she looks like a freak and that was her sole purpose of being there. Unfortunately like the mass of anime fans all she knows is her own little world of anime culture, and knows nothing about comics internationally, or anything about the history of Japan. She could probubly explain the definition of yaoi and talk about all her little cosplay friends for hours, but she would not know the Emperor of Japan's name.
3. Make the stupid director guy talk about anime not fans.

otakuQT wrote:

Define normal....

wats abnormal about being passionate about the things you love? and how did they pick her the interview??? if ya want to know something about a "superfan", u ask a "superfan"!

^ What I don't like about anime fans.
Dachande

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 1:20 pm Reply with quote
I love how Mays just kept sticking it to Gibson, it was hilarious.

Great job Mays.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
God Gundam

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I gotta give Jonathan props for showing Gibson what a total idiot he is.

But they really didn't need Heather there.I find it ironic that a discussion on anime featured some fat girl dressed as a wierd bat-like creature with gigantic boobs trying to explain that most anime fans are normal people. Rolling Eyes
Aresef

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, why was the cosplayer there? She didn't even have all that much to say. The debate was also falsely advertised. It ended up being "Do anime FANS suck?"
fuchikoma

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Mods, feel free to zap this post if you need to - it's pretty much just a rant against G4...

I used to watch The Screen Savers, then AotS when it mutated. It was alright - there was funny banter at first, and there was always a useful or at least funny hack feature. Even Alex Albrecht didn't bring it down that bad.

...then Kevin Pereira came in, there were massive complaints about him, so instead of G4 acting on them, they just made fun of the fact that everyone hated him on air! Then Kevin Rose left, and I realized how flat the rest of the show was. It quickly normalized into a totally unremarkable canned general-purpose talk show. It seems Rose had ALL the tech features of that show. Any unscripted edginess had quickly become scripted, predictable, and calculably within guidelines.

What mystifies me is that when TechTV, a technology station, is taken over by G4, a video game station, the programming didn't really shift to being more game-related. Instead we get a couple throwaways like Reviews on the Run and Cheat!, and the rest is random filler like Ed the Sock, Triumph the Insult Comic Dog, and Formula D! (Which I would like if it wasn't 90% talk and 10% drifting...) Confused

Anyway, Pereira's style has always been self-deprecating humor where he first calls himself a geek to identify with his audience, then admits to whatever negative stereotype he can think of, and gradually segues to flat out insulting whoever he's talking about in a phony half-joking way. ANN is cool, but I wish I could say I cared about the interview - I'm afraid for anime, gaming, or whatever they decide to cover (B-movie directors? 20" rims? A floor wax AND a dessert topping?) they have made themselves irrelevant by now with an efficiency I can only imagine was planned from the start.

ZDTV = "Finally, a station for geeks!"
TechTV = "Everyone can use technology, and we'll show you how!"
G4 = "A gamer is a 10 year old kid with an XBox. Look! Shiny!"
bennyb

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 1:52 pm Reply with quote
fuchikoma wrote:
ZDTV = "Finally, a station for geeks!"
TechTV = "Everyone can use technology, and we'll show you how!"
G4 = "A gamer is a 10 year old kid with an XBox. Look! Shiny!"

LoL good way to sum it up.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 2:00 pm Reply with quote
JMays wrote:
Kevin was fine. Gibson was the one who kept taking cheap shots. He had nothing else to offer.

Yeah that one of the things that bother me, Gibson looked like her was mad at you or something. Did you talk to each other before or after the interview? By the way Jon great job, I believe you did a great job respenting all of the fans here at ANN.

Dargonxtc wrote:
Also I like how you mentioned Pokemon and Perfect Blue in the same sentence.

That one of the best examples it shows how anime can be so different, you take a show intended for children and compare to one of the most mature titles. It's also a great way of showing how anime is medium not a genre such there are different types of anime out there.
Till next time,

Delta Kiral
Jadress

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Mays, you did a great job. You looked like the only guy on TV with an ounce of intelligence and common sense, and the sports fan comparison was pretty spot on. Overall, the segment was so short that it was pretty pointless, but I do take pride in seeing someone from ANN do anime a little justice on the air. ^^
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
sunflower

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Mr Mays, you did a great job and met ignorance and insult with intelligence and information and aplomb. Well done!
davenfonet

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 2:51 pm Reply with quote
as much as i hate to say this, we were totally and completly schooled. They chose IMHO the 2/3 of worst people they could to have repersented us. The editor from ANN was good, however, he needed some balls to actually speak up against the jackass from G4, the other 2 just didn't help at all. I understand that its a live show pressure and all that, but the host was completly dominating the conversation.
Puppy Puncher

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 3:01 pm Reply with quote
The Transformers content was total ownage.
SekiGatha

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 3:06 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad that the interview went well overall. Though Kevin might have rushed the segment, it's because the show is on live and there are other segments to be featured. The only problem was the screenwriter, but thankfully he pretty much had no say in the matter.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Wyvern

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Ein, the wonder pup wrote:
bennyb wrote:
Am I the only one who felt that interviewer was a complete jerk and rushed the whole thing, not to mention brought up some pretty stereotypical and naive representations of otaku?

Nope, I thought that too.
And that seems pretty typical of of interviewers when the
topic is anime or anime-related. Sometime ago I
heard something on NPR about anime and the guy conducting
the interview mispronounced names of shows, rushed the
whole interview, and was very mis-informed on anime
fans.

That's not just typical of anime interviews, it's typical of practically ALL interviews on TV these days. The interviewer already has a side picked when the interview starts and he's usually intentionally ignorant of the side he's against, because that way he can dumb down the issue to a few cheap stereotypes or misconceptions and reinforce the misinformed conclusions most of the audiance has already drawn. It's pretty obvious when the topic is "Does Anime Suck?" and not something nuetral like "What's the Deal With Anime?" that it's going to be a pretty biased debate. It's starting off an interview with a politician with the question, "Senetor, why are you such a useless failure?"

That doesn't just happen with anime, it happens on shows that deal with serious news topics like the war in Iraq or politics. The host decides he's for/against this, and he'll come up with al these reasons why he's right (which may or may not be true, but people are more inclined to trust the host since it's his show) and the guest is on the defensive the entire time. I mean, how many news stories about video games have you seen in the past five years that aren't really just about Grand Theft Auto? They show some random GTA footage of someone shooting people and then go on to talk about "how come in video games you can shoot hookers and kill cops" as if all video games were the same as GTA. It's the same thing.

And really, I don't think a network that regularly airs repeats of The Man Show has any right to call anyone's choice of TV viewing sucky.
otakuQT

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 3:44 pm Reply with quote
God Gundam wrote:
Yeah, I gotta give Jonathan props for showing Gibson what a total idiot he is.

But they really didn't need Heather there.I find it ironic that a discussion on anime featured some fat girl dressed as a wierd bat-like creature with gigantic boobs trying to explain that most anime fans are normal people. Rolling Eyes

what was she cosplaying as?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9