• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Best Rivals/Adversaries Tournament-Minigame

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zawa113

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:20 am Reply with quote
Voting for the following:
Hikaru Shindou vs Akira Touya Hikaru no Go
-I just love these two, it's such a pure sense of rivalry and in the manga (after the anime ends), they actually become pretty good friends (and fight like an old married couple over Go, so nerdy! They're still rivals during this, they're just friends also now, it's a really nice touch that should make everyone read the manga from where the anime left off)
Maya Kitajima vs Ayumi Himekawa Glass Mask
Yugi vs Seto Kaiba Yugioh
-man, I know more of these two's rivalry from the Abridged series then the actual series.
Rue/Princess Kraehe vs Duck/Princess Tutu Princess Tutu

Nominating
Astro vs Atlas/Blue Knight, Astro Boy franchise img 1 img 2
Type of Conflict: personal rivals
What it's all about: Atlas is a robot built from the same blueprints as Astro (in the 1980 series), except with the inclusion of an "Omega Factor", which lets Atlas defy the robot laws of not harming humans. Similar to Astro, Atlas also has free thought. Atlas is a pro-robot extremist who believes that humans will always exploit robots and seeks to create a robot nation. Astro also cares for robots, but does not believe that humans and robots cannot live together peacefully. They meet several times during the 1980 TV series, always resulting in an epic fight for their beliefs, which can actually be quite similar at times. Atlas does appear in the 2003 series, but his role is largely replaced by The Blue Knight. Blue Knight is not based on the same blue prints as Astro, so the brother rivalry is missing, but his beliefs and actions mirror Atlas' from the 1980 series.
Why they should win: Astro and Atlas are both very similar robots with some similar idea: they both want robots to have more rights and not be treated as second class citizens. But they show that even two characters with the same goal can disagree with how it should be achieved and become rivals instead of allies.

Yusaku Godai vs Shun Mitaka, Maison Ikkoku img 1 img 2
Type of Conflict: rivals in love
What it's all about: When Kyoko Otonashi first arrived to be the new manager of the Maison Ikkoku apartments, it was love at first sight for Yusaku Godai. Shortly after arriving, Kyoko decides to attend a tennis class for neighborhood women where it's love at first sight for the tennis coach Shun Mitaka. Thus a rivalry was instantly born between poor college student Yusaku Godai and rich tennis coach Shun Mitaka. Every time they meet, they attempt to one up themselves in Kyoko's eyes while making the other look less worthy. They exploit each other's weaknesses and play dirty (Mitaka is afraid of dogs while Yusaku is insecure about his poor college student life). These two will take any chance they can to screw each other over and win Kyoko's heart!
Why they should win: This is a classic romantic comedy and these two are classic rivals. They can play incredibly dirty when it comes to getting Kyoko and don't care about anyone's feeling but their own (sadly, this means they often ignore Kyoko's as well). These two are what love rivalries are made of and are one of the best romantic rivals even today.

Jomy Marcus Shin vs Keith Anyan, Toward the Terra TV series movie
Type of conflict: top leaders for their sides (which are life or death rivals)
What it's all about: Jomy is the leader of the Mu, a race of psychics. Keith becomes a leader of humanity by the end of the series, but their rivalry starts long before that. The Mu wish to live on their own and not be hunted by the humans while the humans wish to eradicate the Mu as the computer system that rules them demands it. Jomy and Keith represent the the heart of each side of the conflict. Keith has anti-psychic training and is immune to the Mu, making him a very worthy opponent to Jomy. Jomy is one of the most powerful Mu and will fight to defend his people at any cost.
Why they should win: Jomy and Keith's rivalry is more than willing to go the extreme as both as willing to die for their side. They both believe that their side is absolutely in the right and talking is unlikely to work. Both sides fight with all of their strength to accomplish their goals, making this an extremely strong rivalry.
Raftina

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:11 am Reply with quote
Voting For
Jomy Marcus Shin vs. Keith Anyan, Toward the Terra

Voting Against
Johan vs. Tenma, Monster: To be rivalry or a set of adversaries, both sides have to, in a reasonably equal way, acknowledge the other as roughly equal competing entities. The designation of entity is important, as a character who is committed against an ideal does not form a rivalry. In this case, "my greatest experiment" is not seeing Tenma as a competitor, but that is how Johan treats Tenma.

Sekai Saionji vs. Kotonoha Katsura, School Days
Ayeka vs. Ryoko, Tenchi
Yusaku Godai vs Shun Mitaka, Maison Ikkoku
This tournament was proposed because of a perception that rival duos were shunned in the best duo tournament. I observed a similar problem in the best supporting characters tournament, where comic reliefs were specifically identified as such and voted against for that reason. I suspect that this is a general problem with these tournaments: If the entries are part of a large subset, and this subset is reasonably well-defined and can be succinctly labeled, then we should hesitate to bring them into the tournament. In this case, there can be no question that such a subset exists: These are vertices of a love triangle, and best love triangle was significant enough to be a proposed result for this tournament. It is extremely dishonest for the proposal to have failed, then to try to backdoor the entrants into the best rivalry tournament by labeling them "rivals in love."

nightjuan wrote:
All kidding aside, I'll have to be blunt now. Would you mind if someone offered to help re-write those?

Go ahead. I am better at writing summaries to cover multiple series than I am at writing their praises.

In the meantime, some more nominations.

Nominating
Sakura Avalon and Li Showron, Cardcaptors: pic
Type of Conflict: zero sum gotta catch'em all
What It's About: The powerful magical artifacts known as the Clow cards have been scattered around Sakura's home town. Kero, the adorable mascot familiar, approaches the heroine and bestows upon her the power to become a magical girl, so that she may go and capture the Clow cards and prevent them from making mischief. All is going well, but a mysterious challenger arrives on the scene to capture the Clow cards as well--he is Li, and he competes against Sakura for tooth and nail for his own reasons. Although they compete, they are both essentially good people, and their adventures throw the two together, allow them to work with each other, and let them know each other.
Why They Should Win: This is an excellent juxtaposition of rivalry and love. Working for each side is an essentially good person, but their goals are irreconcilable, because they are bound to collect the whole of a limited quantity of artifacts. Yet their adventures allow them to become friends and, eventually, love interests. It is an excellent example of the progression from enemy to allies and the triumph of people's innate goodness.

Chiaki Nagoya and Maron Kusakabe, Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne: pic
What It's About: The powerful magical artifacts that contain God's power have been scattered around Maron's home town. Fin, the adorable angelic familiar, approaches the heroine and bestows upon her the power to become a magical girl, so that she may go and retrieve God's power and prevent them from falling into demons' hands. All is going well, but a mysterious challenger arrives on the scene to retrieve God's power as well--he is Chiaki, and he competes against Maron for tooth and nail for his own reasons. Although they compete, they are both essentially good people, and their adventures throw the two together, allow them to work with each other, and let them know each other.
Why They Should Win: This is an excellent juxtaposition of rivalry and love. Working for each side is an essentially good person, but their goals are irreconcilable, because they are bound to collect the whole of a limited quantity of artifacts. Yet their adventures allow them to become friends and, eventually, love interests. It is an excellent example of the progression from enemy to allies and the triumph of people's innate goodness.

Nanoha Takamachi and Fate Testarossa, Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha: pic
What It's About: The powerful magical artifacts known as the jewel seeds have been scattered around Nanoha's home town. Yuuno, the adorable mascot familiar, approaches the heroine and bestows upon her the power to become a magical girl, so that she may go and capture the jewel seeds and prevent them from wreaking havoc. All is going well, but a mysterious challenger arrives on the scene to capture the jewel seeds as well--she is Fate, and he competes against Nanoha for tooth and nail for her own reasons. Although they compete, they are both essentially good people, and their adventures throw the two together, allow them to work with each other, and let them know each other.

Last edited by Raftina on Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Aylinn

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:06 am Reply with quote
Nominating:

Shunan vs. Nugan The Beast Player Erin pic
Type of Conflict: ideological rivals, brotherly rivalry, eventually enemies.
What It's All About: They are Duke's sons that were close to each other when they were little, but as time passes Nugan is becoming envious of how their father prefers Shunan and how Shunan's opinion matters to him while his doesn’t. In the course of the story they are growing apart from each other, especially in their opinion on how the country should be, so as the political conflict escalates, they find themselves on opposing sides.
Why They Should Win: Their conflict gives birth to some well-done dramatic encounters and an ultimately dramatic resolution.
zawa113

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:27 am Reply with quote
Voting Against
Sakura Avalon/Kinomoto vs Li Saoryan/Showran
, Cardcaptors/Cardcaptor Sakura
-Ok, I'm going pretty much entirely on my knowledge of the manga here to be certain, but Li figures out pretty quickly that he really isn't the chosen one after a few volumes and kindly bows out of the contest to get the Clow Cards. He instead starts assisting Sakura from the sidelines a whiles before the series goes from CCS to CCS: Master of the Clow. At least going by the manga, it was a pretty short lived competition, nothing to write home about (for that reason, the series itself is still worth writing home about overall). The anime is a much longer series, maybe they added that in as filler, but going based on my manga knowledge, I'd have to vote against them

Johan vs Tenma Monter
-well, they certainly have an....interesting relationship, but rivals or adversaries would be a tough way to describe it. I feel like Johan is just playing with Tenma (just like all humans) most of the time but lets him live because he owes him his life. Tenma actually takes this seriously on the other hand, it makes it seem rather one sided, it's actually what's keeping me from nominating Kamiyama vs Yamaguchi from Cromartie High School as comedy rivals, it's really only a rivalry to Yamaguchi as Kamiyama doesn't even know he's considered a rival. Johan knows Tenma is after him, but really thinks nothing of it.

Also @ Raftina, why should love rivalries not be allowed at all? Sure, maybe they should be limited if we plan to have a love triangle match up in the future, but they're still strong rivalries involved here. I can think of a few love triangles that do not involve fierce battles, Robotech/Macross is a well known series, Lisa/Misa and Minmay are never really duking it out ever, usually nothing more than a little jealously scowl, but there's certainly a love triangle involved there. I would never consider nominating them for this tourney, but for a love triangle tourney, sure. Land of the Blindfolded (manga example, sorry, manga person here) is another. Emma: A Victorian Romance certainly has some strange shaped love triangles during the series but no one ever actively fights each other or really puts down the other person in the triangle.
I think if they're a pair legitimately fighting for their own cause (in this case love) and not just waiting to see which side of the triangle the girl (or guy) will fall towards, why not allow it?
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:33 am Reply with quote
Voting For

Light Yagami v L
Tris8

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:47 am Reply with quote
NOMINATING:
Miaka Yuki vs. Yui Hongo Fushigi Yuugi, pic
Type of Conflict: love rivals, betrayal, opposing countries, survival
What it's all about: These two were best friends until they were sucked into a storybook and told they were each a legendary priestess. As priestesses, it is their duty to locate Seven people as their celestial warriors, call down their god, and receive 3 wishes. Unfortunately, Yui becomes embittered toward Miaka because they have fallen in love with the same man and while Miaka was 'wooing' him, Yui was abused by street thugs. Yui lashes out and betrays Miaka, which irreversibly set them at odds.
Why they should win:This is a sad story of mistaken information that blossoms into an epic rivalry. They oppose each other for love, ideals, their friends, and for survival, because unknown to Miaka, one of her Seiryuu Seven seeks to rule the entire world.

Voting for:
Kazuki Muto vs. Koushaku "Papillon" Chouno Buso Renkin
Asuna Kagurazaka vs Ayaka Yukihiro Negima
Light Yagami/Kira vs. L Death Note
Sekai Saionji vs. Kotonoha Katsura School Days
Ranma Saotome vs. Ryoga Hibiki Ranma 1/2
Yusaku Godai vs. Shun Mitaka Maison Ikkoku I honestly don't see this as a 'way to sneak in love triangles'. These two, and many members of love triangles, are rivals in their own right. Through love, they usually become rivals in many other things, so I don't think love rivals should be banned from this tourney.

Last edited by Tris8 on Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:05 am Reply with quote
Voting For:

Miaka Yuki vs Yui Hongo - Fushigi Yugi

Voting Against:

Sakura vs Shaoran - Cardcaptor Sakura

Yeah, like Classicalzawa said Shaoran figured out fairly quickly that he wasn't the true Cardcaptor. If you are going to use 2 characters out of this series it would probably have to be Sakura vs Meilin. And even that match-up is a bit shaky. I would even have to vote against Eriol vs Sakura due to the explanation at the end.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:09 am Reply with quote
Voting For:
Miki Onimaru vs. Megumi Kannazuki, Ramen Fighter Miki

Nominating:
Souseke Sagara v. Gauron, Full Metal Panic, pic
Type of Conflict: Enemies
What's It About: Souseke is a hired mercenary trying to protect the world from evil and Gauron is the individual responsible for many of the issues Souseke is required to protect against.
Why They Should Win: Unlike many rivalries, this one actually impacted the growth of both characters. Souseke, through the evolved fighting, became more trusting of those around him and the AI equipment used and Gauron seemed to soften up a bit as the franchise progressed, showing care for Souseke despite being an enemy.
egoist

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:11 pm Reply with quote
Vote for:

Shinichi Kudo (Jimmy Kudo)/Conan Edogawa, and The Black Organization, Detective Conan (Case Closed)

Lelouch Lamperouge and Suzaku Kururugi, Code Geass

Johan v Tenma, Monster

Light Yagami and L, Death Note

Oz Vessalius vs. Baskervilles Pandora Hearts
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Have a quick question to pitch, Key. Would you allow three-way rivalries/ feuds to be involved in this tournament? There are a couple notable feuds I'm thinking of which are three-way such as the Orga, Gilgamesh and Milteid Corporation from Gilgamesh and the Organo, Racan and Union from Texhnolyze.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Aylinn

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Nominating:

Chaos-Dragon Gaav vs. Hellmaster Phibrizzo Slayers Next* pic
Type of Conflict: enemies
What It's All About: Gaav is one of the five most powerful mazoku, demons, created by Dark Lord Ruby-Eye Shabranigdu. He tries to find out why Phibrizzo, another one of the five most powerful mazoku, takes interest in Lina. Due to being stuck in a human body a thousand years ago, he no longer felt the need to be loyal to Shabranigdo and started to fight against other mazoku. In Slayers Next he is interested in Phibrizzo’s plan that concerns Lina, the main character. Initially, he sends his subordinate to check on this, but because she is accompanied by Xellos, who is more powerful than any of his subordinates, he has to appear himself to find out what Phibrizzo is up to.
Why They Should Win: Their plans make the plot move forward and almost every important event in this particular season is connected to their attempts to figure out what the other one wants to achieve.

*They are only enemies in Slayers Next, so there is no need to write Slayers franchise.

Last edited by Aylinn on Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:52 pm; edited 2 times in total
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:06 pm Reply with quote
Sawako "Sadako" Kuronuma vs. Ume "Kurumi" Kurumizawa - Kimi ni Todoke pic
Type of Conflict: love rivals
What It's All About: Like many girls of their school Kurumi has fallen for Shota Kazehaya and indeed has deep feelings for him, has known him for a long time and due to her planning she has so far kept any other girls from getting close to him while she tries to get closer to him herself. Kazehaya however seems to like the new creepy looking girl "Sadako" and she seems to like him. So she plans and schemes to break them up for good, eventually telling Sawako she should step aside.
Although Sawako has no malicious feelings towards Kurumi she flatly refuses to step aside for her and while the audience understands that Kurumi has no chance of snagging Kazehaya, the rivaly persists, to Kurumi's displeasure at knowing she probably doesn't have a chance and Sawako's pleasure that she has been included in such a relationship. Kurumi holds out hope while Sadako has to defeat her self doubt.
Why They Should Win: Shows the heights a jealous love-struck girl will go to stop her rival from getting the guy she likes and how a shy and conciliatory girl will finally gather her courage when confronted with just about the only thing she'll refuse to concede.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Due to some unexpected distractions I'm still not off the first page of nominations yet, but a couple of things that I've already noticed that need to be addressed:

The Naked Beast, your pics in your first post are not acceptable. Both characters need to be depicted together in a single pic, even if that means cutting and pasting.

Also, I am going to take issue with the Juliet vs. Lord Montague nomination. Although Montague certainly has it in for Juliet, the conflict is less about her specifically than the Capulets in general. Also, Juliet's conflict with Montague is driven more by her kinsmen and house retainers than her own desires. Thus, I propose that the rivalry should instead be Capulets vs. Lord Montague. Change it to this and I will second it happily.

And Raftina, about those initial write-ups: really? I agree with some of your choices, but the way you did the write-ups is cheesy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
The Naked Beast

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:13 pm Reply with quote
@Key
If you will overlook my rudimentary Photoshop skill, I think the new pictures (namely Romeo x Juliet) for all my nominations should be all set. I also changed my nomination for Romeo x Juliet as you have suggested. If there is anything wrong, I will edit my posting again.

Thanks for the suggestions and corrections that have to be made.
A Mystery

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Seconding:

Goku vs. Vegeta, Dragonball Z/GT
Maya Kitajima vs. Ayumi Himekawa, Glass Mask
Naruto Uzumaki vs. Sasuke Uchiha, Naruto franchise
Lelouch Lamperouge vs. Suzaku Kururugi, Code Geass
Yuki Sohma vs. Kyo Sohma, Fruits Basket
Light Yagami vs. L, Death Note
Capulets vs. Lord Montague, Romeo x Juliet
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 20