• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Paprika on US DVD This October

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Danno19

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Sweet at least I can see it sooner than 2007! woowoot! =)
Someone_II

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 3:34 pm Reply with quote
I'm probably the only person in the world who cares but does anyone know if this is going to have a dub or not? (methinks no based on some of Sony's other anime film releses (Memories, Tokyo Godfathers), but as a dub fan *prepares to be beaten down by dub-haters* I do have some hope)
Danno19

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Someone_II wrote:
I'm probably the only person in the world who cares but does anyone know if this is going to have a dub or not? (methinks no based on some of Sony's other anime film releses (Memories, Tokyo Godfathers), but as a dub fan *prepares to be beaten down by dub-haters* I do have some hope)

Guy, there is nothing I love more than good voice actors for a dubbing job. Spriggan = great dubbing/Mononoke = great dubbing, I like Bebop's and Champloo's dubbing a lot. But I will watch subtitles without any hesitation. =)

Dubbing on movies that makes me angry... FF: Advent Childern & Jin-Roh... eeeek.
Fallen Embers

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Judging how Millennium Actress and Tokyo Godfathers have been done and the speed of release, it's gonna have to be subbed.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi: Cars isn't gona win, because it was underwhelming with critics and audiences alike.
jboncha

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Here's what my Uncle has to say about Paprika's release.

J B's Uncle wrote:
Paprika is being featured at the Venice Film Festival on September 2nd, and will be released in theaters worldwide shortly afterward.

J B
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for letting me know, jboncha. It would be nice to see it on the big screen, in case I get disappointed like I did with Tokyo Godfathers. I think it'd be a miracle if it just got nominated for Best Animated Film, but I hope Kon wins anyway.
Someone_II

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Danno19 wrote:
Someone_II wrote:

Guy, there is nothing I love more than good voice actors for a dubbing job. Spriggan = great dubbing/Mononoke = great dubbing, I like Bebop's and Champloo's dubbing a lot. But I will watch subtitles without any hesitation. =)

Dubbing on movies that makes me angry... FF: Advent Childern & Jin-Roh... eeeek.

When I said "*prepares to be beaten down by dub-haters*" it was due to some recent bad experiences I've had with them. One was at a con where after saying that I didn't mind dubs I had to fend off dirty looks for the next 3 hours. The other big one was when two of my "firends" decided to cut ties with me because I 1) didn't like Naruto(and I went out of my way to establish that a difference in opinons was okay but they didn't want to hear it) and 2) said(or rather insisted) that they not generilize dubs as they are of verying quality.

Havn't seen FF:AC dubbed yet but the Jin-roh dub wasn't too bad IMO

Edit:
GATSU wrote:
I think it'd be a miracle if it just got nominated for Best Animated Film
If it did, I'd defenatly be one to vote for it (assuming it messures up to expectations)

Last edited by Someone_II on Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:40 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Thanks for letting me know, jboncha. It would be nice to see it on the big screen, in case I get disappointed like I did with Tokyo Godfathers.

Exactly even thought any anime is a long shot (Other then Hayao Miyazaki) to be nominated let alone win. But this year there isn't exactly a lot of great animation films out thus far.

As noted above Cars is the front-runner but that isn't saying too much. Cars wasn't the best animation that we have seen from pixar, the incredibles was by far there best picture, and could of been nominated for best film if you ask me.
Till next time,

Delta Kiral
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Ice Age 2 is gona win this year, because it's popular and successful.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Uhh... Cars is 18% higher on the Tomatometer than is Ice Age 2 (76% vs 58%) and is a full 20% higher with the Cream of the Crop critics (78% vs. 58%), and the average rating is higher too (7/10 vs. 6.1/10).

Plus Cars has been in theatres almost two months and is still making money, passing $230 million this weeks, so it has better legs and word-of-mouth than a lot of the "Oh, it's just 'NASCAR: The Animated Movie'" underestimators at the Box Office Mojo forum were predicting (some people didn't think it'd get past $150 million domestic), while Ice Age 2 opened big but melted down faster than Cars.

I really don't think Ice Age 2 is any threat to Cars in the Oscar race.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Cars has more positive reviews, but even the positive reviews are mixed, compared to those of Ice Age 2, in which the critics definitely love the film. And Ice Age 2 still has a higher total(domestic and international) than Cars.
Akemi_Idaku

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:44 pm Reply with quote
Well, this is good as long as it isn't low quality or whatever else could be wrong. Subtitles are perfectly fine anyways. Plus I'm looking forward to some new Susumu Hirasawa music in an anime.
Twage

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:54 pm Reply with quote
Yes, there's a US site, but it says "Coming Soon," not "Coming October 31." (Plus their mailing list function is broken... someone should get on that.)

Akemi_Idaku wrote:
Plus I'm looking forward to some new Susumu Hirasawa music in an anime.

Amen! I picked up Byakkoya a couple months ago and I can't get enough.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 2:25 am Reply with quote
The October 31st listing is on the main Sony Pictures Home Video "Coming Soon" page.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3