• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Bungaku Shōjo (movie).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:52 pm Reply with quote

Bungaku Shōjo (movie)

Genres: drama, mystery, romance

Plot Summary: As first year student Konoha Inoue is about to leave school campus, he sees a girl eat a page from the book she is reading. She introduces herself as second year Tōko Amano, the literature girl, and asks him to join the Literature Club so that he doesn't expose her secret. After almost two years of being the sole two members of the club, a strange message arrives: a piece of paper with a peculiar drawing. Further investigation leads them not only to Inoue's past, but to the reason to why he has given up on writing novels for the rest of his life.
----------------------------------

The movie starts out with a prologue which explains how Konoha Inoue first comes to meet Tohko Amano, the president of the Literary Book Club. Then the story begins one year later with Tohko discovering that that someone has left a drawing in the mailbox of the club – the said mailbox has a sign on it advertising the Literary Book Club's “ability” (and willingness!) to solve romantic problems. She immediately shanghais Konoha to help her find out who has placed the drawing there; but solving that mystery only reveals another one – one that that strikes to the heart of Konoha's tragic past.

In order to properly understand Bungaku Shōjo, it is – at a bare minimum – necessary to read books one (Book Girl and the Suicidal Mime), two (Book Girl and the Famished Spirit) and five (Book Girl and the Wayfarer's Lamentation) of the Book Girl series as the movie draws material directly from all three books. Clocking in at just over 100 minutes, it should come as no surprise at all that that the movie excises key elements from all three of the books. For example, the relationship between Chia Takeda and Ryuto Sakurai is barely acknowledged at all – let alone explained in proper detail.

The movie follows the novellas's style of creating a story within a story – and having the said stories parallel each other.

The voice acting is acceptable; The character designs are minimal, based upon designs by Miho Takeda.

Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1