• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Arpeggio of Blue Steel (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:00 am Reply with quote
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Episode 4
That was epic.

The fight was decent and I almost spoiler[thought Iona's crew wouldn't make it alive out of that mess against not one but two Fog Battleships. Shame those two saw themselves as living weapons of war though but maybe there's a chance for Haruna to change? She is still alive after that fight.]

Oh and in a noticeable way Cool
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:48 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[so evidently the Mental Model's don't require a ship (or they are simply carried in some sort of much smaller sophisticated device)]
It is odd because the naval battles are still the strong point of the series, I still wish there was a little more backstory to care a little more for our hero crew but stuff blowing up in tactical combat is a decent enough pass time.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:18 pm Reply with quote
"How could I lose? She isn't even striking any poses!"

"You don't understand. With a human crew, you don't have to strike poses to control the ship."

"REGREEEEEEET!"
Beltane70

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:35 pm Reply with quote
The moment the series had them in Yokosuka, I was hoping that we'd see spoiler[the Mikasa. I totally wasn't expecting it to play such a big part in the episode, though.] I have to admit that I always get a little excited when I see places and things that I've seen in person appear in anime.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:52 am Reply with quote
Episode 4

A somewhat sexy episode.
Razzuel

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:41 am Reply with quote
I was wondering how Arpeggio was going to keep the ship battles interesting and episode 4 showed me how. That was pretty awesome.

I could have done without the girl in her underwear though. That didn’t even make sense. Sigh, [expletive] anime.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:36 am Reply with quote
Oh, that didn't make sense. The rest all seems reasonable.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:45 am Reply with quote
What REALLY didn't make sense is why she'd hide that smokin' bod underneath a great big coat...
Key

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:58 am Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
"How could I lose? She isn't even striking any poses!"

"You don't understand. With a human crew, you don't have to strike poses to control the ship."

"REGREEEEEEET!"

Laughing

FenixFiesta wrote:
It is odd because the naval battles are still the strong point of the series, I still wish there was a little more backstory to care a little more for our hero crew but stuff blowing up in tactical combat is a decent enough pass time.

Agreed on both points. The former is as much a serious weakness as the latter is a major strength.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:18 pm Reply with quote
That was a great action episode.

And now i will discuss what was different in the manga.

spoiler[As i explain in my last post, Japanese Attack submarine Hakugei 3 was joining the I-401 in attacking Haruna and Kirishima. In the battle of Yokosuka, it was the Hakugei who did the sneak attack on Haruna and Kirishima. Haruna and Kirishima at first suspects the Hakugei is trying to distract them while the I-401 escapes so they attack the Hakugei to destroy it until the I-401 comes to the rescue. With Haruna and Kirishima now focusing on the I-401, the Hakugei was able to launch a Corrosion torpedo given to them by Iona like it was shown in the anime. Hakugei's role was important since it mark the first time human ships can defeat the Fleet of Fog. The battle was even watched by the whole world by satellite who congratulated Japan on their success. Also there was no talk between Iona, Haruna and Kirishima. Kirishima sends a warning to Iona that the rest of the 2nd Fleet will be joining the battle to cause confusing with Iona's crew.]

Last edited by MrTerrorist on Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:39 pm; edited 2 times in total
Bugnin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:22 pm Reply with quote
So....the hottest girl in the series quite literally hides underneath a massive coat....

Makes sense.

The fan service kind of undermines the serious tone if the naval battles, but this show is still extremely good. Just hope we get more backstory on the crew and vessels.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Well, none of the ships are run by naval personnel. This is almost like Captain Tyler and Martian Successor Nadesico in that regard.

The mental models are not humans, so they don't have human concerns like modesty. Perhaps the only reason they have any clothes on is for the audiences benefit. Of course this is all just anime justification for what they do, and I am not complaining.

As for the coat malfunction, if you are going to wear a heavy thick long coat in all seasons and all the time, it only makes sense to wear as little as possible underneath it. The losing of the coat is also probable due to the explosive force from the blast. Having clothes blasted off you happens in real life, and this is made even more probable by the fact that the coat wasn't form fitted or even clinched by a belt. Not saying the scene wasn't planned for the purpose of fan service, merely that it is quite probable.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:55 am Reply with quote
Every time I think, ok, I'll give it one more episode, they do something interesting to keep me hooked. Smile The battles have been pretty cleverly handled. I just wish they'd taken two minutes to explain where his crew came from instead of just time-skipping into Gunzou and his merry band of teenage crackerjack naval technicians.

Looks like Gunzou is going to end up with a harem of battleships.
Razzuel

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:46 am Reply with quote
You don't just magically lose a coat, have the coat be in mint condition after an explosion, comically crash through a hanger, and land in a prurient pose in your underwear for the camera to linger over. Also, if you pay attention during the opening, she's wearing clothes under the coat.

I'm really getting more and more annoyed and disgusted by this crap in anime. It really needs to go away.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10