• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Kuroko's Basketball Threat: Chemicals in Snacks

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:12 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
Then again, these kind of incidents seem to water down and trivialize a term that should be a much bigger deal than "butthurt dude says he's poisoning cookies in convenience stores but is most probably lying."

Indeed. But it's an issue of the severity and seriousness of the threat. That's the distinction that makes this terrorism or rather, not. Calling this terrorism when by all rights this guy poses no real threat is inaccurate. But not for the reasons unready is saying. The fact that it is just one guy is not in itself important.

unready wrote:
However, there is some consensus (among scholars who don't consider it meaningless) that terrorism is, in the (paraphrased) words of Bruce Hoffman, conducted by a subnational group or non-state entity with an identifiable chain of command or conspiratorial cell structure. In other words, a single individual acting alone doesn't constitute a chain of command. Two guys driving around in a beat up car while shooting random people don't constitute a conspiratorial cell structure. Even if they somehow set off a nuke, they're not terrorists, because they have no organization.

You're basically appealing to some perceived consensus when in actuality you've just spent paragraphs explaining why there is none. Terrorism is a vague term used in a number of different contexts. And while I'm sure somebody out there agrees with you that doesn't make what you're saying any less ridiculous. I mean, you're telling me that if two guys go out and blow up a building to try and extort political change...that's not terrorism. But if one guy goes out and recruits a second guy who works for him and he blows up a building to extort political change...well then it is because they've now got a "chain of command". You're acting like the way the people choose to organize themselves is somehow more important than the actual act they've committed.
unready

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:17 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
I mean, you're telling me that if two guys go out and blow up a building to try and extort political change...that's not terrorism. But if one guy goes out and recruits a second guy who works for him and he blows up a building to extort political change...well then it is because they've now got a "chain of command".

In the example of 2 guys I gave, I said the opposite. Besides, blowing up one building doesn't extort political change. Even the way you say it, they'd just be whack jobs; and they'd still be criminals.
ikillchicken wrote:
You're acting like the way the people choose to organize themselves is somehow more important than the actual act they've committed.

Substitute "saying" for "acting," it's a factor. There are criminals other than terrorists. (This perpetrator is one such.) They still get caught, convicted, and sentenced. (This one isn't caught yet.)
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:34 am Reply with quote
unready wrote:
Substitute "saying" for "acting,"

Rolling Eyes Okay. It's now clear to me that you're just committed to being the single most pedantic and obtuse person on the planet. I'm not gonna waste any more time trying to argue with you.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4