• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - La Vie en Rogue

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Red Fox of Fire wrote:
I thought Little Witch Academia was...okay. I don't really get the hype over it. There was nothing specifically wrong with it, but it was so generic and predictable. Aside from some really good animation, it does absolutely nothing to make a name for itself.

I'll watch Aesthetica one day when I feel like seeing the world burn.

LWA gets hyped because it has what very little anime, heck, what very little TV in general has these days. Heart. And that, that's something special.
PCGOD

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Red Fox of Fire wrote:
That's the feeling behind most hentai, at least, and I wouldn't be surprised if that explains Aesthetica also.
Red Fox of Fire

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Soundmonkey44 wrote:
Red Fox of Fire wrote:
I thought Little Witch Academia was...okay. I don't really get the hype over it. There was nothing specifically wrong with it, but it was so generic and predictable. Aside from some really good animation, it does absolutely nothing to make a name for itself.

LWA gets hyped because it has what very little anime, heck, what very little TV in general has these days. Heart. And that, that's something special.

I wish they'd combine that heart with smart*. As far as the Anime Mirai project goes, Death Billiards was easily better, but gets no attention. And from the start, I was actually much more interested in LWA since it's closer to the kinds of things I usually enjoy.

*I don't mean to say LWA was particularly stupid, I just would have preferred something more original. The setting and characters are fine, the plot is not.
BalmungHHQ

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Rivailloli wrote:
BalmungHHQ wrote:

Utsuro no Hako wrote:
BalmungHHQ wrote:
Of all the critiques to make about the show, I wasn't expecting the focus to be on taking the lead character's actions so seriously...

Just because something's a comedy doesn't mean it gets a free pass when it deals with serious issues -- like sexual assault. If that reasoning worked, Jerry Lewis would've released his Holocaust comedy The Day the Clown Cried and just shrugged when people complained about it being tasteless.

D-did you just compare the actions of a perverted anime character (which can only barely qualify as 'sexual assault') to the holocaust...

...How can you not tell that they are comparing offensive content being made comedic, not that they are comparing the acts? Really? Did you even read what they put?

Of course I realize that's what their intention was... that's what I was replying about...
As a character, I don't find Akatsuki offensive, not in the way I would feel uncomfortable seeing something blatantly make fun of the Holocaust. I understood what they meant, I'm just saying they made a bad comparison.

Rivailloli wrote:
Also, forcibly stripping and groping people does not 'barely' qualify as sexual assault. It is, and it's frightening you even think that way, but seriously. Try to do that in real life. See where it gets you.

I'm more used to the term sexual harassment being used to describe those actions, and likened the term sexual assault as another term for the word rape (which does not happen in Aesthetica of a Rogue Hero), sorry I wasn't particularly clear on that.

Also, I find the implications you're making about me personally more unsettling than anything else here... It's very, very rude to make such assumptions.
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:25 pm Reply with quote
PCGOD wrote:
At least for me that was never the question, of course it is, but in the same way that series have serial killers and thugs for protagonists this one has a molesting bully/pervert.

Yes, and a series that presented a serial killer as a male power fantasy would be getting the same kind of criticism, but as is you don't see people talking about how "boss" Norman Bates is, or saying that what Hannibal Lecter does isn't really murder.

BalmungHHQ wrote:

I'm more used to the term sexual harassment being used to describe those actions, and likened the term sexual assault as another term for the word rape (which does not happen in Aesthetica of a Rogue Hero), sorry I wasn't particularly clear on that.

Emailing pictures of your junk to a woman, or going up to her repeatedly and telling her she has a nice rack is sexual harassment. The moment you touch her in a sexual way, it becomes assault. If you think that as long as there's no penetration, it's not sexual assault, there is something seriously wrong with you.

Quote:
Also, I find the implications you're making about me personally more unsettling than anything else here... It's very, very rude to make such assumptions.

Yes, look at the poor male rights activist being victimized.
PCGOD

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:27 pm Reply with quote
But really, the question I'm wondering is how the Golgo tv series compares to the previous incarnations.. something which was omitted in the review, I believe. I think that the format would favor a movie over episodic treatments, you could even make a live-action thriller from some of the plotlines (Golgo stopping Saddam Hussein's supergun during the Gulf War would be a fun one).

Utsuro no Hako wrote:
Can you leave him alone? He just said that he watched the series with his girlfriend; if he doesn't have the same opinion on the topic that's OK, we're all allowed different opinions (cue diversity montage).
BalmungHHQ

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:36 pm Reply with quote
Utsuro no Hako wrote:
BalmungHHQ wrote:

Emailing pictures of your junk to a woman, or going up to her repeatedly and telling her she has a nice rack is sexual harassment. The moment you touch her in a sexual way, it becomes assault. If you think that as long as there's no penetration, it's not sexual assault, there is something seriously wrong with you.

You're completely misinterpreting what I said... I was only saying I had been confused over the meaning of the terms and the way people around here are using them. Don't put words in my mouth.

Utsuro no Hako wrote:
Quote:

I'm not an activist of anything... I never said I was being victimized, just that someone was making rude implications about me. Much like you are now, actually.

This is becoming ridiculous, I only came in here to explain my confusion over an anime I enjoy being viewed in such a controversial way, not to have assumptions made about me or my principles.
Redcrimson

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:52 pm Reply with quote
PCGOD wrote:
You do realize that we are discussing animated characters?

And? Even ignoring any possible real-world implications, I don't think making light of sexual assault is okay just because the victims don't exist. "It's just fiction" is not an excuse for sexism and moral-bankruptcy. It doesn't have to be banned, but it should be recognized for what it is. And it deserves criticism.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:56 pm Reply with quote
PCGOD wrote:
He just said that he watched the series with his girlfriend

I don't think this is the get-out-of-horrible-misogynist-opinions-free card you seem to think it is.

"But I watched this show with MY GIRLFRIEND so nothing I'm saying is transparent apologism for sexual assault"
TehDarkPrince

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Red Fox of Fire wrote:

I'll be the first to admit that the story isn't amazing, but it had a lot of clarity and good characterization-- its a lone island of simplicity amid an infinite sea of inexplicable plotting, with lexicons of jargon and needless complication. Simply put, anime today is often complicated, but rarely ever complex. Something direct, simple, with appealing, distinct and likable characters all in a tidy 3 act story structure is a breath of fresh air. Granted, fitting a whole story within 20-40 minutes demands much more discipline than 12, 24, or hundreds of episodes.

I don't think being 'predictable' is necessarily bad. I think it's bad when a story is obviously trying to obfuscate or hide something in plain sight-- when you feel like its insulting your intelligence. LWA, to me, doesn't do this. spoiler[You clearly know the plot line with the Sensei in a way that is more dramatic irony, than some Shyamalan-ian twist where the Dragon turns out to be Shiny Chariot all along. The plot isn't hiding the information from the audience, its hiding it from Akko, and that's an important distinction.]

It's not a groundbreaking story line by any stretch of the imagination, but good characterization, along with good designs that speak to distinct personalities and using animation to drive the story forward is something to be appreciated, in my opinion.

So ends my animation elitist diatribe.
AnimenexuS

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Now I have watch this Aesthetica. Just to see how bad it is.
PCGOD

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
But I watched this show with MY GIRLFRIEND so nothing I'm saying is transparent apologism for sexual assault"

Well, apparently his girlfriend was not of the same opinion as yours. I get it, the forum has a bias, every forum does, but a guy doesn't need to be labelled as a "filthy vile sexist mysoginist" for disagreeing with people's opinions of a series he likes. That's about it for me.
BalmungHHQ

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
PCGOD wrote:
He just said that he watched the series with his girlfriend

I don't think this is the get-out-of-horrible-misogynist-opinions-free card you seem to think it is.

"But I watched this show with MY GIRLFRIEND so nothing I'm saying is transparent apologism for sexual assault"

You're right, it's not an excuse for anything, and I never intended to use it as such.

If liking this anime means I'm apparently a horrible misogynist though, then... I don't really know what to say.
Mr. Nescio

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
And this show presents it in a damaging and harmful way.
This was the most interesting sentence in the review, and it wasn't given any elaboration, unless the reviewer thinks that something being bad makes it damaging.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:04 pm Reply with quote
BalmungHHQ wrote:

If liking this anime means I'm apparently a horrible misogynist though, then... I don't really know what to say.

No, you can like the anime all you want. The point is that people have legitimate objections to what the show depicts, and belittling that opinion and their analysis is what makes you seem like a misogynist.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 5 of 18