• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Space Dandy Episodes 1-6 Streaming

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:25 pm Reply with quote
gedata wrote:
really now? I prefer to think of Space Dandy as a show that let's me things I can't get in other Japanese cartoons.

Matter of perspective, I guess.

Also, diehard anime fans sometimes get so hung up on anime that they fail to consider that "something I can't get from other anime" can equal "what's available in American animation." Something like Frozen or Despicable Me (or, to use older examples, the classic Tom and Jerry shorts) would never get made in anime, for instance.

So yeah, if you're looking for fare within anime similar to SD, you won't find much. If you're looking for similar fare within animation, though, then you'll find quite a lot.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:56 pm Reply with quote
NeoStrayCat wrote:
Stark700 wrote:
This is confirmed to be 1-cour right?

No one knows how long the series is gonna run for, even so, it might be 2 cours, lol.

http://www.amazon.co.jp/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?__mk_ja_JP=カタカナ&url=search-alias%3Ddvd&field-keywords=スペース☆ダンディ+&rh=n%3A561958%2Ck%3Aスペース☆ダンディ+

Japanese BD/DVD solicitations have it down for 13 episodes. The show is being released over 5 volumes in a 2/3/3/3/2 format.
SouthPacific

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:40 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
NeoStrayCat wrote:
Stark700 wrote:
This is confirmed to be 1-cour right?

No one knows how long the series is gonna run for, even so, it might be 2 cours, lol.

http://www.amazon.co.jp/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?__mk_ja_JP=カタカナ&url=search-alias%3Ddvd&field-keywords=スペース☆ダンディ+&rh=n%3A561958%2Ck%3Aスペース☆ダンディ+

Japanese BD/DVD solicitations have it down for 13 episodes. The show is being released over 5 volumes in a 2/3/3/3/2 format.

Just thought i'd pitch in that Anime Limited has also specified that their BD release of Space Dandy release in December will contain 13 episodes.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:09 pm Reply with quote
merr wrote:
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
But I can hardly even give Dandy the same credit as I would a bugs bunny show, for the same reason as I can't really compare Dandy to Seinfeld.

*sigh* You keep harping on the Seinfeld thing. Note that, as the person who brought that show up in this thread, the only comparison I made between Seinfeld and Space Dandy was that both are episodic comedies with little focus on narrative. That was it. Any other comparison regarding the relative merits of these two shows is irrelevant to the point I was attempting to make. You're perfectly free to discuss such things, but doing so isn't particularly responsive to anything anyone was actually talking about.

I love it when people try to make a comparison, and then when that comparison gets torn up, they suddenly try to be like "I wasn't making a comparison!! Stop arguing that!!" You argued that we should judge Space Dandy in the same way we should judge Seinfeld. I (quite persuasively if I do say so myself) articulated how Space Dandy fails in most areas where Seinfeld excelled. So what is the issue?
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:01 pm Reply with quote
In a follow up to my "nerd tribalism" post, I do actually like the show, but I couldn't help notice all the buzz was purely from its relation to Cowboy Bebop via the conduit of Watanabe and others, which is why so many were disappointed in it not being a spiritual successor. I guess that's usually how new works from beloved creators are viewed, but that also means a certain set of expectations are held and Dandy did let some down. Any of the promo material could have told you it was going to be something unique and not retreaded territory. It's not Bebop in any way, but basically another Cobra but even more 'wackied up' in execution. I enjoy at about the same level of a show as Ixion Saga DT, but not to the level of Gintama, though that series enjoys having hundreds of episodes and an enormous cast and truly interesting setting to benefit off of. I want to say I feel like I've seen something like Dandy before, just cut up amongst a bunch of different anime, and maybe some of the elements from those anime it takes from did it better, aside from the budget.
Nayu

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:09 pm Reply with quote
So people love Johnny Bravo in space? Awesome.
NeoStrayCat

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:58 pm Reply with quote
@RyanSaotome
Hmm, I see, so the series (might) be ending soon (or maybe a continuation later on?), just hope the plot gets resolved or something, oh well. At least the show gets the job done.
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:09 pm Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:
It was also not written by the same person heading the writing on Champloo OR Space Dandy, and I think people see WATANABE's name and immediately assume he's overseeing everything puppetmaster-style. Not true. Watanabe is a skilled director and perhaps even more masterful delegator. He likes giving lots of different jobs to large groups of talented people and he seems to encourage freedom as much as he dominates with his excellent directorial skills. People should really stop comparing any of his projects to one another.
Wish people would stop comparing follow-ups in general. Expectations are fine but them not being satisfied is a horrid reason not to like the follow up. Judge something on its own merits not on what its predecessor did. I see this stuff so much it makes me want to pull my hair out.

Like Watanabe's previous works, I can't get into this (he's not to blame, I am). The hook here is immensely powerful here and from what I watched of Space Dandy I enjoyed but it hasn't given me enough motivation to keep going.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:29 pm Reply with quote
NeoStrayCat wrote:
@RyanSaotome
Hmm, I see, so the series (might) be ending soon (or maybe a continuation later on?), just hope the plot gets resolved or something, oh well. At least the show gets the job done.

Its just a standard 1 cour late night show (and the sales aren't looking too hot), so I wouldn't expect a sequel any more than any other below average selling show
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:04 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:

Its just a standard 1 cour late night show (and the sales aren't looking too hot), so I wouldn't expect a sequel any more than any other below average selling show

Yeah, Adult Swim is financing the show in part and it's been doing gangbusters in the ratings for them. If they want another season, they'll make sure it happens.

Not absolutely everything in the anime market is 100% dictated by otaku bluray sales. Your analysis would be worth something if it weren't so fixated on that and that alone.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:

Yeah, Adult Swim is financing the show in part and it's been doing gangbusters in the ratings for them. If they want another season, they'll make sure it happens.

Not absolutely everything in the anime market is 100% dictated by otaku bluray sales. Your analysis would be worth something if it weren't so fixated on that and that alone.

The amount of shows that get sequels funded by foreign companies are very very minimal. I guess it could happen, but it would be a surprise. If anything, I think Funimation and Adult Swim might try to focus on different series to have the rights to for reruns in the future instead of just focusing on one series.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:00 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:

The amount of shows that get sequels funded by foreign companies are very very minimal. I guess it could happen, but it would be a surprise.

Generally when it has happened it's because Adult Swim wanted a second season of something that they were involved in funding.
TandooriJones

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Is more of an anthology than a TV series

I didn't know the Twilight Zone wasn't a TV series.

I'm sure he meant "More of an anthology then a ongoing story" but not sure why that would be a minus come to think of it.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:

why do you need to fiance something when the rantings were not really that much better than bleach in a better time slot? switch Space Dandy to 1AM, and OP to 11:30, bleach might beat Space Dandy.

Jan 13
11:30PM Space Dandy 1.0 HH, 1.411 million
12:00AM Bleach 0.9 HH, 1.303 million

FEBRUARY 1, 2014
11:30PM Space Dandy 0.9 HH, 1.357 million
12:00AM Bleach 0.8 HH, 1.113 million

FEBRUARY 15
11:30PM Space Dandy 0.9 HH, 1.370 million
12:00AM Bleach 0.8 HH, 1.071 million

Last year, Bleach and Naruto had 1+ millions all the time. Sometimes 1.2+ or 1.3+ millions viewers.

if ratings are that important, then they should just do FAMILY GUY all night. It will probably still do better than Space Dandy, Bleach..

Last edited by Spotlesseden on Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:14 am Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
if ratings are that important, then they should just do FAMILY GUY all night. It will probably still do better than Space Dandy, Bleach..

Ever thought that maybe there's more to what's successful in the TV business than ratings that the general public are lucky to get their hands on? Like say, specific information regarding the ratings and how they may compare to other shows airing at that same time slot for instance? My point being that the people at Adult Swim are likely looking into other factors that would make Space Dandy seem like a huge success that either we the general public may overlook or we can't otherwise know due to some information being too confidential.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7